Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this is one of those situations where they were pencilled in somewhere, at some point, but something changed? Seems odd that there was so much info floating around about them. 

Unless most of the info just came from this forum :P

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And the day so many people have been waiting for after a year of Efestivals basically being a Radiohead forum.

They aren't playing! :lol: 

You do realise that the day after Glastonbury, someone will be making a Radiohead for 2017 thread? Don't be so naive to think this is a good day for you ;) It's only just beginning!

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

I wonder if this is one of those situations where they were pencilled in somewhere, at some point, but something changed? Seems odd that there was so much info floating around about them. 

Unless most of the info just came from this forum :P

It's possible after the last couple of years they booked a hold on them as a reserve headliner in case anyone else fell through or pulled out. It's a not a bad idea, especially if it's a band they already have a solid relationship with and are active at the time... 

That said, a lot of it did come from this forum, and the threads got so huge and imposing that everyone but the Radiohead fans stopped reading and participating, so the neutral/sane viewpoint went away and you were left with a thread of people who wanted a thing to happen convincing each other that every bit of news supported a theory.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

It's possible after the last couple of years they booked a hold on them as a reserve headliner in case anyone else fell through or pulled out. It's a not a bad idea, especially if it's a band they already have a solid relationship with and are active at the time... 

That said, a lot of it did come from this forum, and the threads got so huge and imposing that everyone but the Radiohead fans stopped reading and participating, so the neutral/sane viewpoint went away and you were left with a thread of people who wanted a thing to happen convincing each other that every bit of news supported a theory.

We had all given up a few months ago. It was when Neil's RH source came through that the hope was restored. We weren't working on blind faith, and a lot of it was backed up by Neil who really isn't a Radiohead fan :P He took a bet the other day that they would be subbing Adele!

So I dunno about that. 

(Not blaming Neil or anything. I'm really appreciative of his efforts over the past few months and it's been a really entertaining thread!)

1 minute ago, paulmuchmore said:

Michael must have just been saying Radiohead as an Oxford band then, before going back to the names written on his sheet!

Or he deliberately wanted to stir up some rumours!

Or they were playing and something changed? 

Seems odd they would *allegedly* pull out of R/L and be left with no UK festival shows this summer.

I was listening the the brilliant recording of their Bonnaroo headline set from 2006 the other day and they played 28 songs, a Radiohead record I believe. Most times they headline US festivals they seem to get the full 24/25 song setlist length.

Yet both times they headlined Glastonbury they managed 19/20 I think, from the top of my head. I wonder if this puts them off it a bit, even V festival gave them time for 22 songs!! Though surely if Glasto wanted them these days they would be offered an extended set, a la Stones & Springsteen?

Edited by ericlered

42 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

as was always blatantly the most logical explanation, despite some people ignoring it and convincing themselves otherwise.

Yep. I think the video was actually something that suggested they had perhaps been in the frame for this year or next but now weren't playing this year - although there were bits of evidence and people linked to the festival who certainly suggested otherwise.

Edited by strummer77

Emily's Guardian interview sticking to the party line that there's nothing planned.

Addressing Glastonbury’s “secret performer” slot – which Prince and David Bowie were often hoped to fulfil – Eavis denied the rumour that Radiohead would perform at 2016’s event. “There’s no planned Radiohead gig at the moment. But obviously we would love to have Radiohead back. Personally I’d love to have them play next year but at the moment there’s no confirmation, so we’ll have to see.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/31/glastonbury-lineup-new-festival-emily-eavis-interview