Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

Forgot to say last night, but whilst we were in the queue yesterday we got talking about the anti-touting measures. One of the Roundhouse staff overheard us and gleefully informed us that someone the day before bought a ticket from a tout for £3,000 and subsequently got turned away at the door as his name wasn't on the ticket. Such sweet justice.

HAHAHAHA what a tit.

sad to hear about the tour getting his 3 grand but the prat that paid it to him deserves it for being so damn stupid

I went to pick up my ticket at about midday yesterday and one of the staff was on the phone to someone who'd been turned away Thursday night for no ID. Apparently there were plenty who were unaware you needed it. Dunno, says on the ticket doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Dave85radiohead said:

There's no justic there :( Feel for the guy who bought the ticket. 

The least you can do if you are selling tickets like that is make sure you take the buyer into the venue.

then again these guys have no morals at all. Scumbags

Well there is justice,  their anti touting measure is stopping people using tickets which are sold on,  which is all they can do without the law changing.   

Secondly you're mistaken,  the least the tout could do was exactly what they did,  take the money and s0d off. 

Well...

Firstly I have to let you all know just how much of an incredible experience that was for Child 3 (15 years old). He and I have been to quite a few gigs and he is bordering on my levels of music obsession. But my admiration of Radiohead pales into insignificance next to his deep, deep love of the band. He's a lovely boy, very funny, but not nearly as extrovert (read: show-off) as me. Tonight (from behind me - he's taller!) I could hear him singing every word at the top of his lungs and it was one of my favourite moments as a parent - of more which later.

Secondly, a huge thank you to @CHRLY and @Brave Sir Robin for coming over and saying hi. Both delightful guys, and a big up to CHRLY, a young lad who came all the way down from Bolton that day on his own, on the Megabus, after bagging a ticket thanks to a heads-up on the forum. Beautifully illustrates what is wonderful about this place.

The Gig
I think that now, the day after the night before, the show was a bit like one of those special movies, whereby you only realise the full majesty of what you've seen after a day or two of subconsciously and consciously digesting things in your mind.

The opening salvo of the expected five songs from AMSP were interesting. Not not-good, but a bit of a mixed bag. After getting so familiar with them on the record, it was strange to hear the opening section of Burn The Witch before Thom burst into the vocal. I was amazed at the crowd's word and pitch perfect singing during the song. I know that RH fans are pretty full-on, but I was struck by how quickly they had adopted this song into their personal repertoires! We sang like mad and the end of song cheer was unreal - an indication of how much people had missed them, I think. Daydreaming was superbly rendered live. Decks Dark was great (what a song) and DID nice too. I really don't think that Ful Stop worked. It's such brilliant song and I don't think that either the venue, sound system, arrangement or a combo of the three allowed adequate separation of the instrument voices to get this to work. Also, in that first section I think the mix of Phil's drums was a bit odd, and a banger like Ful Stop needs them front and centre.

And so onto the Radiohead Bingo section! After all we knew from the previous setlists and their variety, no-one was predicting Airbag!! It's funny. Seeing all these kids singing their hearts out. As BSR and I agreed, they can't be blames for not having been born/old enough. But for those of us of a certain age whereby OK Computer arriving was a formative event, hearing that brought back so many memories. Amazing. Honoured to get Kid A - again people were looking at one another in a WTF? way, wondering how much RH can continue to mix it up. Why don't all bands with extraordinary back catalogues do this? Why wouldn't they enjoy things so much more? I've never really given TKOL much time, but Separator was excellent.

And then...

I make no apologies for holding No Surprises very dearly in my heart. Some might decry that as a bit obvious and not hardcore RH enough. But, again, you have to remember how old I am, and so what it meant to us at the time. I was not dry of eye during the song and sang every word with a lump in my throat. A similarly aged chap next to me looked at me afterwards and said 'that was your one, wasn't it?'. I then turned around and gave Child 3 the biggest hug and he really hugged me back. An unspoken understanding between a man and his boy. Unforgettable.

Was anyone there when Radiohead played Glass Eyes live for the very first time ever? I was! I know it's kind of stupid, but it felt really special, a bit of a privilege and, not just for that reason, I really enjoyed it. It's actually a little cracker.

Selected thoughts from the rest of the set sees me in raptures for The National Anthem (oh my), Myxomatosis (thank you!) and Idioteque (completely nailed. Just fantastic - probably in the top 3 of the night).

EIIRP was phenomenal and then the cheeky beggars broke what had, up to that point, been a conspicuous I Rainbows duck with Weird Fishes/Arpeggi. It was one of the few songs that I had decided I really wanted them to play and it did not disappoint. It was fantastic, and singing along with Ed to the backing cries was one of my favourite moments. Crowd singing was immense. The it was the 21st Century as we got Bodysnatchers into a magnificent Karma Police. I'm 46. I've been to a lot of gigs. The singing to KP was getting on for as good as I've experienced, and Thom allowing us two final refrains, simply accompanied by his acoustic guitar, the rest of the boys standing front of stage applauding us, thanking us for our amazing support was a true and genuine moment of band-crowd harmony.

It wasn't the best sound I've ever heard at a gig.

It wasn't my dream RH set list.

But now, nearing 24 hours later, it was a truly magical, amazing musical experience; one that, partly because of sharing it with one of my children, I shall hold dear forever.

I don't care if they play Glastonbury now, as I am likely to want to watch other subs on Saturday. And do you know what? I'll be completely cool with that. Because I had the Roundhouse.

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Also great account Ben. 

People were knocking No Surprises on here last night. I'm 20 years your junior and, although I do remember OKC coming out, it doesn't have that much of a nostalgia feel to me. However No Surprises is still one of the top 5 songs I'd want to see them play.

I think some RH fans are so diehard and listen to their back catalogue so extensively that they end up secong guessing their own opinions.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Unless she has illness, voice issues or an accident I agree. She wouldn't have been confirmed, and any issues with nerves would have been dispelled with the venues she's been doing recently. 

Yep, good clarification :)

I'd be interested to see what these 'rumours' actually are though and how ridiculous they are. 

48 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Well...

Firstly I have to let you all know just how much of an incredible experience that was for Child 3 (15 years old). He and I have been to quite a few gigs and he is bordering on my levels of music obsession. But my admiration of Radiohead pales into insignificance next to his deep, deep love of the band. He's a lovely boy, very funny, but not nearly as extrovert (read: show-off) as me. Tonight (from behind me - he's taller!) I could hear him singing every word at the top of his lungs and it was one of my favourite moments as a parent - of more which later.

Secondly, a huge thank you to @CHRLY and @Brave Sir Robin for coming over and saying hi. Both delightful guys, and a big up to CHRLY, a young lad who came all the way down from Bolton that day on his own, on the Megabus, after bagging a ticket thanks to a heads-up on the forum. Beautifully illustrates what is wonderful about this place.

The Gig
I think that now, the day after the night before, the show was a bit like one of those special movies, whereby you only realise the full majesty of what you've seen after a day or two of subconsciously and consciously digesting things in your mind.

The opening salvo of the expected five songs from AMSP were interesting. Not not-good, but a bit of a mixed bag. After getting so familiar with them on the record, it was strange to hear the opening section of Burn The Witch before Thom burst into the vocal. I was amazed at the crowd's word and pitch perfect singing during the song. I know that RH fans are pretty full-on, but I was struck by how quickly they had adopted this song into their personal repertoires! We sang like mad and the end of song cheer was unreal - an indication of how much people had missed them, I think. Daydreaming was superbly rendered live. Decks Dark was great (what a song) and DID nice too. I really don't think that Ful Stop worked. It's such brilliant song and I don't think that either the venue, sound system, arrangement or a combo of the three allowed adequate separation of the instrument voices to get this to work. Also, in that first section I think the mix of Phil's drums was a bit odd, and a banger like Ful Stop needs them front and centre.

And so onto the Radiohead Bingo section! After all we knew from the previous setlists and their variety, no-one was predicting Airbag!! It's funny. Seeing all these kids singing their hearts out. As BSR and I agreed, they can't be blames for not having been born/old enough. But for those of us of a certain age whereby OK Computer arriving was a formative event, hearing that brought back so many memories. Amazing. Honoured to get Kid A - again people were looking at one another in a WTF? way, wondering how much RH can continue to mix it up. Why don't all bands with extraordinary back catalogues do this? Why wouldn't they enjoy things so much more? I've never really given TKOL much time, but Separator was excellent.

And then...

I make no apologies for holding No Surprises very dearly in my heart. Some might decry that as a bit obvious and not hardcore RH enough. But, again, you have to remember how old I am, and so what it meant to us at the time. I was not dry of eye during the song and sang every word with a lump in my throat. A similarly aged chap next to me looked at me afterwards and said 'that was your one, wasn't it?'. I then turned around and gave Child 3 the biggest hug and he really hugged me back. An unspoken understanding between a man and his boy. Unforgettable.

Was anyone there when Radiohead played Glass Eyes live for the very first time ever? I was! I know it's kind of stupid, but it felt really special, a bit of a privilege and, not just for that reason, I really enjoyed it. It's actually a little cracker.

Selected thoughts from the rest of the set sees me in raptures for The National Anthem (oh my), Myxomatosis (thank you!) and Idioteque (completely nailed. Just fantastic - probably in the top 3 of the night).

EIIRP was phenomenal and then the cheeky beggars broke what had, up to that point, been a conspicuous I Rainbows duck with Weird Fishes/Arpeggi. It was one of the few songs that I had decided I really wanted them to play and it did not disappoint. It was fantastic, and singing along with Ed to the backing cries was one of my favourite moments. Crowd singing was immense. The it was the 21st Century as we got Bodysnatchers into a magnificent Karma Police. I'm 46. I've been to a lot of gigs. The singing to KP was getting on for as good as I've experienced, and Thom allowing us two final refrains, simply accompanied by his acoustic guitar, the rest of the boys standing front of stage applauding us, thanking us for our amazing support was a true and genuine moment of band-crowd harmony.

It wasn't the best sound I've ever heard at a gig.

It wasn't my dream RH set list.

But now, nearing 24 hours later, it was a truly magical, amazing musical experience; one that, partly because of sharing it with one of my children, I shall hold dear forever.

I don't care if they play Glastonbury now, as I am likely to want to watch other subs on Saturday. And do you know what? I'll be completely cool with that. Because I had the Roundhouse.

:)

Ben

Thank you for sharing that, a really good read. Glad you and your not-so-litlle one had such a great time!

The Guardian gave a five star review to Thursday's gig and a four star one for Friday's. I wonder if that's what due to the different set, a different atmosphere, or just the differing tastes of the reviewers?