Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets said:

This is just speculation of course, but it looks to me like they haven't headlined in so long simply because they haven't wanted to.

We know they have a good relationship with the festival and have been in and around it enough to know how it all works. If/when they want to headline, I'd imagine they'll know what they have to do, and when they have to do it.

Now as for why the wouldn't want to headline, who knows? It's Radiohead, they tend to do things a bit differently. Maybe they find the "secret" sets generate better publicity and are better for their image, or maybe they get to enjoy the festival more when they're not the headline act. Or maybe they all just really want to see Art Garfunkel, who knows.

One thing that might have gone on here is that they didn't have the opportunity to headline,m because the headliners were already booked when RH knew they'd be touring and so could play.

Gossip I heard said they were originally going to headline Reading/Leeds, but suddenly dropped out. That might have been because Glasto found an alternative slot for them they were happen to play.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, DR OK said:

If they are being billed as special guests surely that would have no impact on reading and Leeds? They would have no other advertised uk festival shows.

Glastonbury already has two of R/Ls headliners in lower positions - I doubt they'd want them having a third

Edited by FloorFiller

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

One thing that might have gone on here is that they didn't have the opportunity to headline,m because the headliners were already booked when RH knew they'd be touring and so could play.

Gossip I heard said they were originally going to headline Reading/Leeds, but suddenly dropped out. That might have been because Glasto found an alternative slot for them they were happen to play.

Right at the start of this thread there's a tweet from Jonny (from October I think) saying their tour plans for 2016 were not in place yet. That fits in with the idea that Radiohead became available later in the day.

1 hour ago, MilkyJoe said:

Have a great time Ben, look forward to hearing about it.

Shaun.

Cheers, Shaun. Full report tomorrow, no doubt!

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Shorts! There's a chilly wind in camden. You are a tougher man than me.

Where are you drinking before? (same goes to anyone else)

We're driving down from the midlands after I pull Child 3 out of school in an hour. So, by the time we're parked up and walk the short distance to the Roundhouse it'll likely be getting towards 6-6.30pm. With the ID checks we'll likely just get in the queue as I really want to see Holly.

If you're stood right next to us you had better say hello. I will tell no-one, of course...

:)

Ben

9 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Also, maybe Glastonbury wants to keep their name a secret, so if one of the current headliners pulls out, Radiohead can 'suddenly' jump in as a replacement. But if not, they can just be a special guest.

i ave a feeling that part of it was as backup for adele, in case she wouldn't do it.

1 hour ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Again though - why would they have? Doesn't make any sense to me. When it's worded in that way it generally always means contractual issues right?

I'd dearly love it to be Radiohead but my expectation will go down rather than up if it's 'special guests' listed on the poster.

With headliners already in place but Radiohead being of headline status making them a "surprise special guest" at least gives them a kind of gravitas and and as previously mentioned it keeps them as a back up if anyone (especially Adele) were to pull out. 

Also, it will turn out to be a massive publicity win for the fest and for the band

My thinking also. Adele could bottle it yet.

im now swinging back into the Radiohead camp. Essentially they might keep this '4th headliner' thing a permanent placement for the festival. Certainly giving the festival an extra edge over other festivals and providing that surprise element with more bang for your buck feeling.

looking increasingly likely I won't even be able to make the whole festival weekend this year as I might have a new work contract and can't get the time off. Radiohead would defiantly get me there for the Saturday though :-)

Adele isn't going to bottle it. 

Watch any videos from all the big shows she's been doing. She loves it. Her and Emily and have both said that she asked to headline Glastonbury rather than the other way round. While she may have previously been scared of performing to large crowds, and may still have nerves to a certain extent, it's clearly that not big an issue anymore - she kept it up a bit to try and quell the rumours until it was time to announce.

I think your probably right. Her confidence is only going to increase more as she does well at these shows.Thom Yorke himself used to suffer stage fright. I believe he used to have to hammer beta blockers to tour.

Lets just hope all the pop stars have their meds right come the end of June and we all get our entertainment.

Do the main stages generally stick to the rough times that the Clashfinder show, every year? I never take enough notice to remember. How would an extra 15-30 minutes for Radiohead affect the rest of the day? Just slightly concerning if it gets a bit too close to comfort for New Order. If the Clashfinder times are near enough right, then it should be fine.

2 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Do the main stages generally stick to the rough times that the Clashfinder show, every year? I never take enough notice to remember. How would an extra 15-30 minutes for Radiohead affect the rest of the day? Just slightly concerning if it gets a bit too close to comfort for New Order. If the Clashfinder times are near enough right, then it should be fine.

Think the times are more or less right. They might add or take off a few minutes depending on the act but the actual slots don't change that much year on year.

2 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

they can change, but they tend not to change by much. Acts in the same positions tend to get about the same amount of time year to year, and the stage tends to have the same start and end times, which doesn't give much flexibility.