Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

3 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

Yeah I have a feeling this year is a bit of a swansong for them. The above combined with the fact that all those unreleased songs have ended up on AMSP does feel like they're tying up loose ends.

I hope we're both wrong though.

Of course if RH knew this was their last year, why is this tour not advertised as a farewell tour...? 

Radiohead don't seem like the type of act to announce a farewell tour - just do the tour and bow out I'd have thought (if that is what happens which I really hope it's not)

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

You didn't actually write the above but I just remembered I was supposed to come back to you with my thoughts on it;

I still couldn't really connect with it. I certainly enjoyed it more than I remember, especially the last four songs. I'd probably have given it a bit more time but then AMSP hit and it illustrated how much TKOL isn't my thing when it comes to Radiohead.

All that being said Codex is definitely in my top ten.

Codex is the best thing on KOL by several country miles. Beautiful. Would fit on AMSP very nicely in fact.

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

I've swung back toward a negative outlook this morning (sorry).

Surely they'd be headlining if they were playing. A band of their stature with the history they have at the festival fully deserves all of the hype and prestige that comes with a headline slot and both they and the Eavii would be acutely aware of this. Radiohead headlining Glastonbury is a Thing.

To be a surprise sub is nonsensical, no other band of their size would do it. Would Muse play warm up for another act? By putting them on sub you would essentially be implying that Radiohead are not good enough to headline your festival (secret sets in the middle of the afternoon on the Park were a little different).

Also consider that big headline bands are becoming harder to find. If you were in charge of booking would you not rather save them for next year rather than waste and diminish a potential future headliner by demoting them to a warm up act this year?

Would love to be wrong, but I just can't see it.

:(

This absolute makes perfect sense, and if it wasn't for

1) Neil's source being solid

2) The act being Radiohead

I'd be with you. Radiohead are, and have always been, a really fucking unpredictable act. 'No other band their size would do it', absolutely not, but *they* actually might. 

No band their size would do a secret set on the Park, no band their size would put a new album out and ask people to pay whatever the want for it. No band their size would delete their entire online presence before putting a new album out. They enjoy messing with people, including their fans. Yes it's probably wishful thinking on our part but you can't really blame us.

I've said on numerous threads that Glastonbury have had their act together this year. Everything booked early, early announcements, and the idea that they booked Glastonbury as the Adele 'backup' I think is a legitimate one. 

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

and the idea that they booked Glastonbury as the Adele 'backup' I think is a legitimate one. 

I know Adele is a huge artist around the world ... But to think they organised a whole festival around her performance seems a bit much! ;)

Edited by st dan

2 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

I've swung back toward a negative outlook this morning (sorry).

Surely they'd be headlining if they were playing. A band of their stature with the history they have at the festival fully deserves all of the hype and prestige that comes with a headline slot and both they and the Eavii would be acutely aware of this. Radiohead headlining Glastonbury is a Thing.

To be a surprise sub is nonsensical, no other band of their size would do it. Would Muse play warm up for another act? By putting them on sub you would essentially be implying that Radiohead are not good enough to headline your festival (secret sets in the middle of the afternoon on the Park were a little different).

Also consider that big headline bands are becoming harder to find. If you were in charge of booking would you not rather save them for next year rather than waste and diminish a potential future headliner by demoting them to a warm up act this year?

Would love to be wrong, but I just can't see it.

:(

Muse were going to play lower down at Bestival last year. Think they were meant to be warm up act to the chemical brothers

The missus isn't a fan of Radiohead at all, and she's getting really tired of this saga.

Her opinion for months has been 'they are definitely playing, I don't know why you keep going back and forth on it'.

Perhaps we can't see the forest for the trees on this one. To people outside of this mental asylum of a thread it seems fairly obvious they will be playing.

11 minutes ago, st dan said:

I know Adele is a huge artist around the world ... But to think they organised a whole festival around her performance seems a bit much! ;)

but that's what they do.

They have acts they go after and who they're prepared to wait for an answer from, while they also book in acts below them on the basis that they might get bumped up to headliner if the wanted act doesn't come thru.

For example, I know Kasabian were booked on that basis a few years ago, when they ended up as the sunday headliner.

Whether or not all of the subs are booked on that basis I'm not sure, but I don't think they are. They probably only need to book one act in that way as long as that act can be flexible about the day they play.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

There is nothing worse or less funny in the world than how i met your mother. I know noone who would watch that daily. Plenty of people with friends even though they've seen every episode a million times but noone for that crap. 

How I Met Your Mother was solid up until about season 5. 

And to answer your 'no one who would watch that daily' comment - just about everyone I knew at Uni watched it daily on E4. If you were at Uni between 2009-2014, it was always on. 

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

The missus isn't a fan of Radiohead at all, and she's getting really tired of this saga.

Her opinion for months has been 'they are definitely playing, I don't know why you keep going back and forth on it'.

Perhaps we can't see the forest for the trees on this one. To people outside of this mental asylum of a thread it seems fairly obvious they will be playing.

My missus quite likes them, but thinks I am like the man in the "You don't understand. I love Radio-head." animation.

She says no way are they playing. She's wrong, obviously. 

16 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

There is nothing worse or less funny in the world than how i met your mother. I know noone who would watch that daily. Plenty of people with friends even though they've seen every episode a million times but noone for that crap. 

The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men... the Holy Trinity of awful modern day American sitcoms, really dire stuff 

2 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Best sitcom around at the minute is 'It's always sunny in Philidelphia'

Agreed it's fantastic, alongside Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development, I wasn't slandering American sitcoms by the way! Apologies if it came across in such a way 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My missus quite likes them, but thinks I am like the man in the "You don't understand. I love Radio-head." animation.

She says no way are they playing. She's wrong, obviously. 

The battle of the missuses :P

I try really hard not to be that guy, but when she comes out with doozies like 'all their songs sound the same' after I played her Fake Plastic Trees then Idioteque, it's hard not to act like that! :D

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

The battle of the missuses :P

I try really hard not to be that guy, but when she comes out with doozies like 'all their songs sound the same' after I played her Fake Plastic Trees then Idioteque, it's hard not to act like that! :D

My other half is the worst.

I played her identikit yesterday and she was getting into it..... until Thom's vocals came in.

According to her, he has the most depressing voice in the world and it doesn't suit Radiohead to have him singing.

I really don't know why I bother sometimes :P she is also in the 'it all sounds the same' camp!

15 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

My other half is the worst.

I played her identikit yesterday and she was getting into it..... until Thom's vocals came in.

According to her, he has the most depressing voice in the world and it doesn't suit Radiohead to have him singing.

I really don't know why I bother sometimes :P she is also in the 'it all sounds the same' camp!

Man, I've heard those exact same comments so many times. 

Apparently Thom 'can't sing'. 

*deep breaths*

2 minutes ago, Bravado said:

Im completely new to this chat, could someone update me with what the rumours  are regarding Radiohead and Glastonbury. Is there anything concrete or any solid rumours apart from speculation? Thanks!

You need this.

4 hours ago, jparx said:

Your points are all completely valid and exactly the same argument we would all be making if it wasn't for the suggestions from Neil and other sources (remember the 6music news person saying they thought Radiohead play a secret set?), not to mention the fact there has been no strong evidence linking another act with the sub headline position. Disclosure are only there by default at the minute.

In an ideal world, they will do a set before Adele with the orchestra/choir deal, consisting of mainly new album material and then a few older songs that would fit the setup (i.e. Reckoner, How to Disappear, Nude, Fake Plastic Trees(?), No Surprises(?!) etc.) and THEN come back next year for a full shebang headline set.

That's the dream anywho.