Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Working at a Uni I can tell you that exam dates published 3-4 months out are awalys provisional, but they should have been made that very clear to you. Sounds like a major cock up on their end.

If you want to get an early time slot I definitely wouldn't mention you booked Radiohead tickets. I sympathise hugely with your situation but their response will likely be "you shouldn't book anything during your exam period, it's for intense revision and nothing else, regardless of when your actual exams are" etc. If you want to get an early slot it'd be best to make up a porky. Family birthday, wedding etc. Uni's can be quite stubborn on stuff like this and they rarely if ever take sympathy on someone needing extenuating circumstances because of a holiday, event etc.

Edit: but yeah I do agree with easty. It's your decision at the end of the day but he is spot on.

Fair enough, but yeah they never even mentioned that they were provisional and that there was a slight possibility of them changing. We even get told that the way we find out about our exam dates is when they get added to our timetables; they were added recently as the wrong dates (not even slightly wrong, they've been changed by like two weeks), and for every other exam I've had the dates when added to the timetable have been correct.

Hahaha don't worry I wasn't planning on saying I had Radiohead tickets, but yeah I may make up something like that rather than saying I've made plans that will lose me a lot of money as that makes it obvious it's for some event. On the exam period thing, we don't actually have a set exam period (the uni does, but for some reason a couple of courses are exempt from it and our exams can be at any time), and the gig is what they made look like would be after my entire year finished, so they can't say I should have been intensely revising.

The thing is, we all get time slots spread through the day (randomly assigned) and haven't yet been assigned said slots, so I shouldn't have thought it'd be any bother for them to allow me to take an early spot.

As I say, fair enough on what easty has said, and I am still considering that, but it'd only be a couple of hours lost on one evening, rather than something like a trip to Vegas as his situation was.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Apologies for coming across as a big gloating twat but I am incredibly exvited as this rounds off an incredible 2 months of gigs for me. In April/May this year I'm seeing:

Last Shadow Puppets 

Muse 

James 

The Kills 

Radiohead 

That's before I even get to Glastonbury.

A fine summer you have lined up there. Ive got:

Wolf Alice

Pete Doherty

Radiohead

England Vs Wales in Lens

Glastonbury

Citidel and maybe Loveboxx for LCD dependent on their slot at G

1 minute ago, T-Mouse said:

Wolf Alice

Pete Doherty

Radiohead

England Vs Wales in Lens

Glastonbury

Are we playing this now?

Already seen Joanna Newsom and Grimes this year, looking forward to Chvrches / Muse / Travis before Glasto, and Leeds festival after.

Still gutted about Radiohead tickets.

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Arguably, playing somewhere in the SE corner where the crowd can be controlled most effectively would be safer than the Other Stage.  I'd always been of the opinion that Other is plenty big enough for any secret set, but even though Blondie was announced and a bit later, it was utterly rammed for them.  Last time I heard, Blondie didn't have tickets for their last tour selling out in minutes.

If Radiohead played that slot and it leaked (which is always has so far), then it could be dangerously full at Other.  As odd as it sounds, 4am on Hell (or similar) might actually be less problematic.

as much as Neil protests that it could happen, Radiohead in the SE corner just isn't happening is it? when has a band of their stature ever played there? if they play, which i don't think they will personally (sorry), i agree with Will in that a high profile announced secret set on the Pyramid or Other is definitely the most likely - i don't think the Other field would have any problem controlling the crowd that early on if was Radiohead. as much as we all love em on here, they're hardly everybody's favourite band, and they managed to keep Beady Eye secret until the banner dropped in 2013 didn't they? Kaisers weren't found out until late-ish, and we only knew about Charlatans because Tim Burgess wouldn't shut the fuck up about it

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Arguably, playing somewhere in the SE corner where the crowd can be controlled most effectively would be safer than the Other Stage.  I'd always been of the opinion that Other is plenty big enough for any secret set, but even though Blondie was announced and a bit later, it was utterly rammed for them.  Last time I heard, Blondie didn't have tickets for their last tour selling out in minutes.

If Radiohead played that slot and it leaked (which is always has so far), then it could be dangerously full at Other.  As odd as it sounds, 4am on Hell (or similar) might actually be less problematic.

Hmmm I guess so. Hell Stage would be mad but I'd defo miss it. I've never managed to make it properly to Shangri-La other than once in 2014 when I left instantly as it was too rammed to do anything.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I still think the most likely option is Radiohead subheadlining. Whether it's as a straight sub, co-headliner, special guest or a TBA deal.

4am Hell Stage would be the thing of dreams if people on this forum were made aware of it but it just seems insane.

If so then it'd have to be a co-headline deal or a secret set but I just don't think they'll play.

2 minutes ago, admscott said:

Not even a glimpse of a purchase page until it was sold out.

Then my mate just told me his boyfriend got us both tickets for the Friday. Who waits 2 whole hours to break that news!?

Anyway... ecstatic.

Haha I did similar with my mates' Glasto tickets last year, although not for 2 hours. I got tickets for my final two friends in the secret resale and just sent them a screenshot of the sold out tweet wish a message saying "FFS". They were gutted for maybe 10 mins and then I piped in with "Good job I got tickets then eh" and the chat went into meltdown.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Madness played lost vagueness late on in 2007 i think

wasn't aware of that, but even then - big size difference between those two, and Madness and their fun tunes make a hell of a lot more sense there than Radiohead. i'm willing to be surprised and proven wrong but i just don't think it's gonna happen

anybody here go to Madness? how mental was it?

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

as much as Neil protests that it could happen, Radiohead in the SE corner just isn't happening is it? when has a band of their stature ever played there? if they play, which i don't think they will personally (sorry), i agree with Will in that a high profile announced secret set on the Pyramid or Other is definitely the most likely - i don't think the Other field would have any problem controlling the crowd that early on if was Radiohead. as much as we all love em on here, they're hardly everybody's favourite band, and they managed to keep Beady Eye secret until the banner dropped in 2013 didn't they? Kaisers weren't found out until late-ish, and we only knew about Charlatans because Tim Burgess wouldn't shut the fuck up about it

You're right actually - we might have known about the secret sets before they came on, but most people didn't, Charlatans aside.

Unfortunately, if I had to bet, I'd say they're not playing at all.

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Madness played lost vagueness late on in 2007 i think

Yip, I was at the Madness gig that night. Was about 1am before they came on.

In regards the Roundhouse, I got tickets on Wed in the presale but have a friend looking for one on the Friday night if anyone can help? Not holding out much hope though.......

10 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Wolf Alice

Pete Doherty

Radiohead

England Vs Wales in Lens

Glastonbury

Very nice too. I've been keeping an eye on the resale site for the Euros as tickets keep popping up but I think getting RH tickets has ended that dream. In fairness I promised myself if I got RH I'd give my finances a breather. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

wasn't aware of that, but even then - big size difference between those two, and Madness and their fun tunes make a hell of a lot more sense there than Radiohead. i'm willing to be surprised and proven wrong but i just don't think it's gonna happen

anybody here go to Madness? how mental was it?

Madness was packed, of course, and it caused the area around to be closed down. But a few really crucial differences here are that:

a. Madness played in The Ballroom, which is a tent and much much smaller than the Hell Stage.
b. They played around Midnight so came on stage just as everyone was done with the other stages and looking to go to Lost Vagueness. 4am would be a hell of a lot quieter.
c. There wasn't nearly as much post-midnight entertainment on site at the time so for many would have seemed like the only thing going.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Very nice too. I've been keeping an eye on the resale site for the Euros as tickets keep popping up but I think getting RH tickets has ended that dream. In fairness I promised myself if I got RH I'd give my finances a breather. 

Mines looking good as well

New Order at RAH in April with UB40 3 days later.

James in May

Stone Roses at Etihad

Glasto

New Order at Castlefield.

New Order and RADIOHEAD @ LolapolLollapolooza in Sept.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Ditto. Im done now. Ive never been this lucky in all my days. Im quitting while im ahead.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You're right actually - we might have known about the secret sets before they came on, but most people didn't, Charlatans aside.

Unfortunately, if I had to bet, I'd say they're not playing at all.

Im definitely leaning more towards not playing, but it does seem like a very Radiohead thing to do. Turn up and perform a full set in a tiny part of the festival. If they could keep a lid on it up until a couple of hourse before, then it could be done. 

All it would take was a leak though and it could potentially get dangerous - especially considering many going would be under various influences - doing MDMA all night until 4am might overheat you anyway, then combine that with being in a packed crowd. Could do it for most bands but I think for Radiohead a late night small stage slot would be impossible. 

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Fuck me i can't get you to bite these days! I was expecting all sorts of mayhem about madness being the same stature as Radiohead. 

no time for your fun or shenanigans here - this is the Radiohead thread!

1 minute ago, incident said:

Madness was packed, of course, and it caused the area around to be closed down. But a few really crucial differences here are that:

a. Madness played in The Ballroom, which is a tent and much much smaller than the Hell Stage.
b. They played around Midnight so came on stage just as everyone was done with the other stages and looking to go to Lost Vagueness. 4am would be a hell of a lot quieter.
c. There wasn't nearly as much post-midnight entertainment on site at the time so for many would have seemed like the only thing going.

Neil's '4am in the SR corner' thing was just a total guess though, and he has nothing to base that on other than it seeming like the only place and time they could play without it being a health risk. the more likely option is that they're not playing at all, or if they are doing a secret set, doing it somewhere where people will actually get to see them like one of the top two stages. it's very rare that a huge band who isn't already playing the festival that weekend at some point will only play a tiny set seen by barely anybody at a pretty inappropriate venue

29 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If you're going tout tickets wait while nearer time. Prices will come down and more will come available on Gumtree or Facebook etc. 

I can wait a few weeks. Have booked time off work and booked hotel. Have arranged to meet a mate in London for a few beers before I go to the gig. Will go and watch City @  Stoke on the Sunday, on the way home.

I am definitely going now, just need a ticket.

38 minutes ago, Oldredeyes said:

We may have a spare for Amsterdam sat. 3 of us going from Manchester. (Bought 4 but one of us can't make it). Any one wants it? Face value ?

Hi

Yes happy to take you up on this very kind offer.  Literally about to take off so will be offline for 2 hours - have pm'd you, if you can pm your number I'll text you as soon as I land. 

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Mines looking good as well

New Order at RAH in April with UB40 3 days later.

James in May

Stone Roses at Etihad

Glasto

New Order at Castlefield.

New Order and RADIOHEAD @ LolapolLollapolooza in Sept.

Manics doing EMG (reason I couldn't go for Amsterdam RH gigs)

Reading about how good the roundhouse gigs were

Standing around Paris looking for Euros tickets

Stone Roses

Watching Glastonbury on bbc (as it stands)

NOS

Fair to say, a mixed bag.

3 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

Manics doing EMG (reason I couldn't go for Amsterdam RH gigs)

Reading about how good the roundhouse gigs were

Standing around Paris looking for Euros tickets

Stone Roses

Watching Glastonbury on bbc (as it stands)

NOS

Fair to say, a mixed bag.

Mate you are going to watch The Stone Roses. Getting to watch new Stone Roses tunes live will be something to tell the kids about :-)