Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

If they were playing, I'd prefer Radiohead on the Saturday as my big treat but I'll take Friday.  I'd imagine they'd prefer to do the Friday so they're off the clock for the rest of the weekend.

The past couple of times, I was camped by the Pyramid and too exhausted to walk far by Sunday night, so I endured Kasabian and Mumford.  I'll never live it down if I end up seeing Coldplay.  I also don't want to hear Coldplay every morning over the PA.  To this end, I may even consider camping with friends and their rugrats in Cockmill to get me out of the Coldplay danger area.  Babies crying > Coldplay.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only seen 2 full Pyramid headline sets and they were both on the Friday. Good way to start the festival but it almost seems like a distant memory by the end of the weekend. Going out with a bang watching Radiohead on the Sunday would be ace but it seems like Coldplay will be doing that. Saturday will do, ta.

I love how this thread turned into reflections on people's Sundays.  I've had a few years where I felt like mr 2hats describes, just drained and exhausted but most years it is very much like Mr Tease describes, sad that things are winding down and it's all coming to the end.  I think the only year where my highlight wasn't til the Sunday was 2009 and I ended up taking it real easy all day having hit the naughties way too hard the night before and having a total blackout night.

I've had a few disappointing finalés in the past (Mumfords and The Who spring to mind) and am crossing my fingers that this year I get something to go out on a high with.

My Sunday in 2015 - up early because I couldn't sleep. Walk around the site when nobody else was really around. Lovely breakfast. The Smyths > Songhoy Blues > Ibibio Sound Machine > Patti Smith > Charli XCX > Belle & Sebastian > FKA Twigs > Flying Lotus > sitting up the Park hill until 2am drinking all the booze. There was also a rather delicious hummus burger + No Bones Jones in there as well. I'd bet there is no other festival in the world that can deliver that level of excellence.

This years Sunday was excellent. I woke up feeling really down cause I knew it was going to end. Then I brought a cocktail from a bar and realized I had all this money to spend on booze and food so spent the majority of the afternoon/morning getting wrecked in the circus fields then headed to Patti Smith. Met up with someone and we watched Fat White Family and The Fall together and ended my festival with The Chemical Brothers and then mooched about the market areas going into any tent that had music playing out of it until the early hours.

All in all a fantastic way to end the weekend.

34 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

ended my festival with The Chemical Brothers and then mooched about the market areas going into any tent that had music playing out of it until the early hours.

Then to hill above the Stone Circle...What a morning that was...

2015's Sunday included me being absolutely dead on my feet spending most of my time at the pyramid

Then giving it one last push with chemical brothers and once they were finished I became a drunken mess and walked round the site one last time before passed out in my tent and waking up at 12pm the next day to my field being pretty much empty apart from me and my friends tents.

4 minutes ago, Tuna said:

So many of you younguns have piss poor stamina. The oldies get away with it, but c'mon, you're letting the yoofs down.

oh don't get me wrong, i went hard as hell on the Sunday. last year i actually ended up taking like ten pills Sunday night as they were having so little effect so i just kept taking one every half hour in some desperate attempt to get fucked. might explain why it took me a week to stop coming down after the festival

FF that is not good! Y'all need to structure your narcotic taking better ;)

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I blame the obsession with getting to the festival at 5 am in the Wednesday 

Better to turn up on the Thursday and have a decent Sunday if you can't hack 5 days getting wrecked!

I am dreading the day it all catches up to me.

Edited by Tuna

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Better to turn up on the Thursday and have a decent Sunday if you can't hack 5 days getting wrecked!

This.

Completely agree, but I still invariably still get there first thing Wednesday and proceed to destroy my body for five days. Then mope around suicidal for a week.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

oh don't get me wrong, i went hard as hell on the Sunday. last year i actually ended up taking like ten pills Sunday night as they were having so little effect so i just kept taking one every half hour in some desperate attempt to get fucked. might explain why it took me a week to stop coming down after the festival

That reminds me of Markeee on these forums, who hit it hard in the same way and for the same reasons on the sunday one year, then woke up Monday evening having missed his coach home by hours.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm going to take Yog up on his offer of a lift and arrive sometime later in the day Wednesday this year.  I've been early doors every year apart from 2011, where I got onsite just after midnight Wednesday and just felt like I'd missed my favourite day.  I don't think I'll be doing early doors again though, I reckon Wednesday lunchtime is about ideal.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

My Sunday in 2015 - up early because I couldn't sleep. Walk around the site when nobody else was really around. Lovely breakfast. The Smyths > Songhoy Blues > Ibibio Sound Machine > Patti Smith > Charli XCX > Belle & Sebastian > FKA Twigs > Flying Lotus > sitting up the Park hill until 2am drinking all the booze. There was also a rather delicious hummus burger + No Bones Jones in there as well. I'd bet there is no other festival in the world that can deliver that level of excellence.

Oh nice I've found another person who actually saw FlyLo on Sunday night. He was fantastic, completely blown away by the whole thing. Never thought he would do any Captain Murphy stuff.

I've only been going last couple of years but I've really enjoyed the Sundays, Kwabs > The Black Keys > Anti Flag > Disclosure in 2014 and Future Islands > Belle & Sebastian > Death Cab > Flying Lotus > 2manyDjs last year. Saying that I haven't been able to see any Sunday morning acts yet from being too hungover/physically unable to move my legs.

11 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Ah. Right. That obsession does seem to include me, russy.

Last year (my first, as frickin' everyone knows by now, I realise) I got there around lunchtime on the Wednesday after the coach driver got lost!

This year I am booked on the 0315h coach from Birmingham - I plan to be banging on the gate for Michael and Emily to let me in by 6.30-7am!

I shall try to pace myself. As a newbie, I too went a bit too hard on Wednesday last year, overcome by...well, all of it, actually. Now I'm a seasoned veteran, no such schoolboy errors...!

:)

Ben

That's a pretty good coach to get Ben, Thurlow and I got the 0215 from brum last year and that put us somewhere with only a few dozen people ahead in our bit of the queue and we were on and pitched within minutes of the gates opening.  The only downside was how tired I was, I had to take a nap :P

50 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Oh nice I've found another person who actually saw FlyLo on Sunday night. He was fantastic, completely blown away by the whole thing. Never thought he would do any Captain Murphy stuff.

I've only been going last couple of years but I've really enjoyed the Sundays, Kwabs > The Black Keys > Anti Flag > Disclosure in 2014 and Future Islands > Belle & Sebastian > Death Cab > Flying Lotus > 2manyDjs last year. Saying that I haven't been able to see any Sunday morning acts yet from being too hungover/physically unable to move my legs.

I was also at FlyLo. Could not believe how small the crowd was, but loved having so much room to dance while still being able to see the stage easily. Not surprised to find the FlyLo fans congregating in the Radiohead thread I must say

Flylo and Chmeical Brothers clash was the hardest thing for me, but ultimately decided chems would be a bigger finish to my glastonbury debut. sunday was awesome, dalai lama, gengahr at 11, patti smith, lionel, perfume genius,* herbal interlude * then fka into chemical bros into 2many djs into dubioza on hellstage into more herbs into sitting on stone circle with the candles and a really nice guy sits next to us and explains what glasto meant to him after 20 years of going. Was a fitting end to my first festival. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Last year (my first, as frickin' everyone knows by now, I realise) I got there around lunchtime on the Wednesday after the coach driver got lost!

I got the official coach from Manc in 2013 & 14. We got lost and had to turn around in the same village two years in a row. 

6 hours ago, russycarps said:

This. Which is why I've gone with Camplight again this year. Arrive at a sociable time around Thursday lunch, drop off bag and get going.

One less day off work so ends up cheaper, less knackered, no stupid leaving home at 5am on Wednesday. 

I do miss having Wednesday afternoon  just to potter around Teepee and Green fields , but it's a small price to pay.

Last year I had one night's sleep whilst I was there (Saturday). I went to sleep straight after Leftfield and woke up at 10:30 for the dalai lama. I had about 2/3 hours on Wednesday. The 10 or so hours on Sat Night / Sunday morning was the best plan - it meant I could go again on Sunday. We didn't leave til about 2 ish on the monday.

If Radiohead did play sunday, I would be very very happy. If your sunday has an act you really want to see, it makes things so much better. Stevie Wonder & QOTSA are good examples, whereas in 2014 Sunday was a good laugh, but nothing really got my attention and I ended up having a pretty quiet one...

I suspect they will do Friday if they play. My favourite musically is generally Friday. Always seems to hit the spot.

I was gonna say Radiohead Sunday would be perfect. My favourite band to look forward to all weekend and I'd rather have something chilled on Sunday night. Then again I went hell for leather at Chems last year and had an amazing time. In fact I'll already be sad enough come Sunday night, knowing it's almost over, that Radiohead may push me over the edge.

Although we all know it's gonna be Coldplay Sunday.

Anyway, I'm happy with Muse Friday as it's obviously the night you have most energy to go nuts; Radiohead Saturday as the peak of the weekend; LCD Soundsystem Sunday as something still to look forward to and a nice party to see out the weekend. 

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

I was gonna say Radiohead Sunday would be perfect.

the Sunday act is always booked with the locals on Sunday tickets in mind. They tend to give Michael grief for the next year if he serves them up an act who isn't a 'hit' act.

On that basis, Sunday is the least likely day that Radiohead would play I'd say. Coldplay makes the most sense for Sunday because they've not 'played for the locals' the previous times they've headlined.