Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

been watching this video a lot over the past week. fucking love Thom's dickhead dancing. the song is fantastic on the album, but live it just absolutely comes alive. really hope it makes it on to their new setlists. would be a travesty to ever leave their sets

I don't have any permanent favourite Radiohead song, but Myxomatosis has often been my favourite.

I just fucking love it.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

been watching this video a lot over the past week. fucking love Thom's dickhead dancing. the song is fantastic on the album, but live it just absolutely comes alive. really hope it makes it on to their new setlists. would be a travesty to ever leave their sets

I have only seen them live once (manchester arena 2012) - this was a definite highlight.

13 hours ago, GrowlerPhil said:

There's a clip on YouTube of them playing this and Thom spots a kid in trouble in the crowd. 

How he manages to spot him is beyond me it's well worth a watch of how he conducts himself and how the band go back into the song.

Go to 2.24

thats class. Really well spotted.

Myxomatosis is pretty much my favourite Radiohead tune these days. What a guy

8 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Good thing about radiohead is you never get an identical set

the bulk of their set is usually pretty identical with a few variations throughout - it'll give us a good idea of how many Bends/OK Computer songs they're willing to play these days anyway, and how many new songs they're doing (and if Myxomatosis made it)

Just now, FloorFiller said:

the bulk of their set is usually pretty identical with a few variations throughout - it'll give us a good idea of how many Bends/OK Computer songs they're willing to play these days anyway, and how many new songs they're doing (and if Myxomatosis made it)

I agree about the first part, but you'd need to look at lots of set lists on this tour to guess whether Myxomatosis would make it.  That is, IF they play.  Still only a SR, and there is that little issue of three other headliners in the running.

It's the hope that kills you!

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I agree about the first part, but you'd need to look at lots of set lists on this tour to guess whether Myxomatosis would make it.  That is, IF they play.  Still only a SR, and there is that little issue of three other headliners in the running.

It's the hope that kills you!

if Myxomatosis is in one set i'm gonna assume it's a set staple like it was on the last tour, although they may remove it completely to make way for another oldie - got so much good material to choose from now

i said Muse didn't make sense as a headliner when they were first rumoured and i'm still saying it now - all we needed was another name who makes total sense to enter the fray, and that name has thankfully been Radiohead, so (foolishly, granted) that's who i believe will be headlining

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

if Myxomatosis is in one set i'm gonna assume it's a set staple like it was on the last tour, although they may remove it completely to make way for another oldie - got so much good material to choose from now

i said Muse didn't make sense as a headliner when they were first rumoured and i'm still saying it now - all we needed was another name who makes total sense to enter the fray, and that name has thankfully been Radiohead, so (foolishly, granted) that's who i believe will be headlining

I'm totally with you on this. Muse may be a slightly bigger band than Radiohead nowadays, but Radiohead headlining the festival with a first new album in 5 years and their first UK show in almost as long is a MUCH bigger deal than Muse headlining on the second year of their world tour. Both bands would appeal to similar fans and probably cost the same amount, so why on Earth would you pick Muse with all that in mind?

The only thing that stands in our way is if Eavii were unaware of Radiohead's plans when they booked Muse, or Radiohead have turned Glastonbury down.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm totally with you on this. Muse may be a slightly bigger band than Radiohead nowadays, but Radiohead headlining the festival with a first new album in 5 years and their first UK show in almost as long is a MUCH bigger deal than Muse headlining on the second year of their world tour. Both bands would appeal to similar fans and probably cost the same amount, so why on Earth would you pick Muse with all that in mind?

The only thing that stands in our way is if Eavii were unaware of Radiohead's plans when they booked Muse, or Radiohead have turned Glastonbury down.

it's hard to really compare sizes considering Muse make silly overblown rock music and Radiohead have gone in the total opposite direction. Muse may be slightly more popular, but only because they pander to the masses, whereas Radiohead are one of the most critically acclaimed acts of the past twenty years. i'd say their fanbases are vastly different these days as well, despite probably overlapping somewhat at the start of Muse's career

the Eavii will've definitely known of Radiohead's plans last year, just like every other festival who booked them. bands put themselves out there to festivals well well in advance, so if Radiohead wanted to do it, and the Eavii wanted them, then they will've been booked. but as you say, we've just got to hope that it's something Radiohead want to do (Neil's info, although not concrete, would suggest it is)

why Glastonbury would go for Muse as an alternative is baffling though, unless they had no other options. Muse being booked as a headliner this year goes against everything the festival has seemingly done when booking headliners in the past. fingers crossed the info of them playing but not headlining was spot on - that i can totally get on board with, as unrealistic as it sounds

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

it's hard to really compare sizes considering Muse make silly overblown rock music and Radiohead have gone in the total opposite direction. Muse may be slightly more popular, but only because they pander to the masses, whereas Radiohead are one of the most critically acclaimed acts of the past twenty years. i'd say their fanbases are vastly different these days as well, despite probably overlapping somewhat at the start of Muse's career

the Eavii will've definitely known of Radiohead's plans last year, just like every other festival who booked them. bands put themselves out there to festivals well well in advance, so if Radiohead wanted to do it, and the Eavii wanted them, then they will've been booked. but as you say, we've just got to hope that it's something Radiohead want to do (Neil's info, although not concrete, would suggest it is)

why Glastonbury would go for Muse as an alternative is baffling though, unless they had no other options. Muse being booked as a headliner this year goes against everything the festival has seemingly done when booking headliners in the past. fingers crossed the info of them playing but not headlining was spot on - that i can totally get on board with, as unrealistic as it sounds

Stop filling me with hope :P 

In terms of fanbases...I can only really judge from personal experience but all of my friends that like one also like the other. Most of my mates who are Radiohead fans are tired of the newer Muse material, but they certainly loved the older Muse stuff and still love Radiohead to this day. Put it this way, if all of my friends came to Glastonbury and Muse and Radiohead BOTH headlined, they would definitely see both of them. But like I say that's just my personal experience!

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Put it this way, if all of my friends came to Glastonbury and Muse and Radiohead BOTH headlined, they would definitely see both of them. But like I say that's just my personal experience!

If I get a ticket in the resale and both play, I would (probably) go see both.

Radiohead is a no-brainer for me but Muse do still perform well live I think. While Abosultion is the last album I enjoyed, their performance in Glasgow (Barrowlands) recently was really pretty good.

2 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I'm one of those people who like Radiohead but adores Thom's Eraser album. Do they tend to throw some solo stuff in or stick to the bands catalogue live?

i think they've played some solo stuff in the past every once in a while, but it's not something i can see them doing at these festival dates - they've got enough songs they'll be cutting from their sets as it is without adding Yorke's solo stuff in to the mix to the sigh of 99% of the crowd 

On 04/02/2016 at 7:22 PM, Lou1983 said:

The reason I want to see them at Glasto is because I've seen them recently, it was bouncing and I think they'll pull it out of the bag again. I've seen RH at Glasto but only the park secret set.....will be very torn of this situation arises 

So how different is NO's current set list and performance to the tour a couple of years back. Ended up seeing them 3 times back then (twice at festivals - not a superfan) so would probably only go if there's a big improvment.

33 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

I think I missed what Neil did say about Radiohead. Anything to suggest it's them other than touring dates etc?

He's got an anonymous email for a  tipster who has given him good info in the past. When we got excited with all the festival announcements, Neil emailed this anonymous person who said Radiohead are playing. 

Since then, Neil has been trying to reconcile everything he has heard into some sort of coherent timeline, that can only make sense if Muse aren't headlining. Which doesn't seem particularly likely. So Radiohead 'are' playing, except something in all the info that's come in with relation to headliners doesn't add up, so they might not be. 

The biggest thing the Radiohead info has going for it is that it's relatively new info, whereas the Muse/Adele stuff is slightly older, so things may have changed in favour of Radiohead.

Neil/everyone else, is that a fair summary?