Electric Picnic 2016

pothead pixie

14 hours ago, Shanndy said:

New Order and Lana Del Rey both listed as playing Sunday on their websites, assuming Chemical Brothers are the late night Saturday act I guess that means we've one more headliner still to be announced

The Chemical are listed on Friday.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Orens said:

The Chemical are listed on Friday.

Yeah but a lot of acts tend to put the first day of the festival on their tour dates page until they know for definite when they're playing. I might be wrong but whenever they've played EP before they've always done the Saturday midnight to 2am slot

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, i'm completely new to forums so please forgive me if I fuck it up. 

I'll be going to Electric picnic 2016 and I've never been to a festival before, I'm wondering if anyone can give me their experiences etc. And if they're going tell me :) I'm really trying to get out make friends in different places, which brings me to my second question. How do you feel about going to festivals solo?

Cheers guys.

Eilidh

15 hours ago, Eili said:

Hey, i'm completely new to forums so please forgive me if I fuck it up. 

I'll be going to Electric picnic 2016 and I've never been to a festival before, I'm wondering if anyone can give me their experiences etc. And if they're going tell me :) I'm really trying to get out make friends in different places, which brings me to my second question. How do you feel about going to festivals solo?

Cheers guys.

Eilidh

Hi Eilidh welcome to Efestival Forums, I'm a Scot myself living in Galway from Glasgow originally, I've been going to the Picnic since 2005 and you are in for a treat, its a marvellous festival.  I've been reviewing it since 2009 so I'll put a few up here, its done from a volunteering perspective (From 2011 onwards) so hopefully gives you an insight on how the festival works.  Otherwise just scroll by the first 4 or 5 paragraphs if you basically just want the music and general festival review.  About going solo, I have done this loads of times with EP and other festivals, go for it, you will make lots of friends plus you will get to see what you want to see without having to make sacrifices with other buddies to go and see someone you wouldn't have an interest in.

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2015/09/12/electric-picnic-2015-festival-review-ireland-4th-6th-september/

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/electric-picnic-2014-festival-review-29-30-and-31st-august/

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/electric-picnic-festival-2013-review/

Edited by pothead pixie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, pothead pixie said:

They are really dragging out this second announcement now, apart from a paltry seven names for the Other Voices stage Le Galaxie, Karl Blau, Saint Sister, Julia Jacklin, Margaret Glaspy, Jalen N'Gonda and Dr Dog.

13120022_10154165994969168_6368425951767

Yeah they're dragging their heels aren't they? I can only assume they want to announce but can't yet for some contractual reason or other 

• 3 weeks later...

A few people on the Electric Picnic forum in boards.ie reckon that the second electric picnic announcement could tie in with the Glastonbury full announcement, an exclusivity deal that might tie in with the physical release of the new Radiohead album, Glasto getting to announce first and maybe EP after. 

20 hours ago, pothead pixie said:

A few people on the Electric Picnic forum in boards.ie reckon that the second electric picnic announcement could tie in with the Glastonbury full announcement, an exclusivity deal that might tie in with the physical release of the new Radiohead album, Glasto getting to announce first and maybe EP after. 

if that's the case, it would be a schedule set by RH and not Glastonbury. Glastonbury don't do the 'we have first announcement' thing.

Was just wondering Neil as last year EP announced the second main announcement on May 5th, but they haven't announced the second one at all in May this year so thought with it being June it is probably RH pulling strings, then again it could be a Festival Republic thing too.

• 2 months later...

Even though I'm Irish this year will be my first EP - mainly because euro fests have much better lineups. Nonetheless I'm really looking forward to it (Wolf Alice, Toots & the Maytals, Nas, Noel Gallagher). 

Of those rumoured I'd love to see Slaves, the Cure, DMA's and Frightened Rabbit. Definitely not Radiohead for me.

So lineup more or less complete, a couple of decent final additions.

Think my final 'must see' list looks something like;

New Order, SFA, Chemicals, Lana Del Rey, NGHFB, Trinity Orchestra Bowie Tribute, Blossoms, ABC, Editors, Ezra Furman, Wolf Alice, Toots, The Shins, Nathaniel Rateliff

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'll give are short synopsis of my weekend.  Highlights: Pre-fest Sun to Thursday: Campervan John's Cinema nights, Fergus Costello.

Friday: Booka Brass Band, Skipper's Alley. Todd Terje, Chemical Brothers. Body & Soulin' and then Trenchtown.

Saturday: Bog Cottage in Body & Soul, Bananarama for the laugh, Dylan Moran at the Comedy Tent, Trenchtown again, Blaenavon, Noel Gallagher, King Kong Company, LCD Soundsystem, Daniel Avery.

Sunday: Toots and the Maytals, Kelly Anne Byrne, New Order, Skepta.

Lows : Reports I'm hearing about people being spiked, not good, not good.

Rain, although not awful, quite a lot of the day, quite nice.

Security: Searching crew now and seizing booze, most were OK though, friendly enough.

Falling at crew camp path to main arena in the muck and hurting my left shoulder. 

Edited by pothead pixie

Had a great Picnic as usual, it felt less crowded than last year but maybe I just got lucky. Noticed a fair few more younger kids this year but fair play, they're the future of the festival! 

A brief summary of what I saw

Fri : These Charming Men at the Salty Dog - Smiths covers band and a good fun way to kick off proceedings

Broken Social Scene- really enjoyed these

Ryan Sheridan - meh

Nas - not a massive fan of rap but thought it was a good show

Chemical Brothers - got off to a good start but I was a bit bored by the end

Sat : Trinity Orchestra David Bowie Tribute - Felt a bit flat in parts but overall it was excellent 

Lightning Seeds - seemed very out of place on the main stage, their music has dated quite badly

Bananarama - top fun, the tent was bouncing!

Bell X1 - caught the second half and thought it was great, will definitely check them out

Noel Gallagher - Loved it, plenty of singalongs in the rain! 

I also spent a lot of time at the comedy tent 

Sun: Dublin Gospel Choir- As usual started my Sunday off with these, always a great way to start the day!

Toots & The Maytals - lovely reggae vibes

Then spent most of the afternoon at My Lovely Ranch which was a great laugh with the Rubbish Song For Europe

James Bay - good grief! What a pile of sh*te!

Nathaniel Rateliffe - one of the gigs of the weekend, shame he had quite a small crowd

New Order - probably the best I have ever seen them, felt they could have been given a longer set time though 

Lana Del Rey - only watched the first half but it wasn't too bad 

• 2 weeks later...

I had fun but it was trickier than the last couple years. Bringing kids to a fest is made doubly difficult with the rain.

Music wise I loved LCD, SFA, Nas, Simz, Nao, and New Order. Noel was a terrible mess.

Another one that stands out was DBFC in Body & Soul before LCD on Saturday night. Rendered me wide-eyed and grinning from ear to ear. A treat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2016 at 4:29 PM, pothead pixie said:

C'mon Shanndy, addicted2noise, Miles Serge Many Homme, Eili, Orens and HMV whats yer opinions on this years edition. :)

I just seen this, yeah I really liked it again this year and already have tickets for 2017. Highlights included Nas, Glass Animals, Joey Bada$$ (I love the Rankin Woods Stage), LCD, Damien Clark in the Comedy tent, New Order and Skepta. I seen a few complaints about the younger crowd but everyone young person I spoke to were really friendly. Any ideas for next years lineup? I guess Bon Iver and The XX seem possible, would love Radiohead too (especially considering I didn't manage to get a Glasto ticket).