American at First Glastonbury: A Few Key Questions

lavendervanilla

1 hour ago, DefLeppard said:

I would say that if you're expending all that time and money to come from America then you may as well get the full, authentic Glastonbury experience. You can buy a shitty 2-man tent and a sleeping bag each for pittance compared with the money you're most likely already spending. 

I'm afraid I disagree entirely with this comment. Why spend a load of money flying in from the States just to make do with a couple of crappy damp tents and thin sleeping bags for six days? Glastonbury is so full-on that you need some time out occasionally to sleep comfortably to recover for the next round. And if it pours with rain and the site is as bad as we know it can get when it's really muddy, our American friends could well have an utterly miserable experience overall (unless they are completely trashed all the time)!

If you can afford it, go for comfort! Just my view though!

48 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

I'm afraid I disagree entirely with this comment. Why spend a load of money flying in from the States just to make do with a couple of crappy damp tents and thin sleeping bags for six days? Glastonbury is so full-on that you need some time out occasionally to sleep comfortably to recover for the next round. And if it pours with rain and the site is as bad as we know it can get when it's really muddy, our American friends could well have an utterly miserable experience overall (unless they are completely trashed all the time)!

Incidentally, American friends, someone else has just posted the following link in another thread which you may find useful. You can do your research, order everything you need, and pick it up on site.  http://www.cosycamper.co.uk/?post_type=festival&p=23

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

Yes, I think it depends on all sorts of factors about the type of experience they like. 

I've stayed on site in a tent and left the site.  I enjoyed both, but now I'm an old git it suits me to take it steady, leave the main site and stay in the campervan fields.

Edited by clarkete

13 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

I see your point! From my experience though, part of the charm of Glastonbury is roughing it. We generally spend the other 360 days of the year sleeping comfortably in our beds. As much as I may bemoan it at the time, I like that I get forced out of my sauna of a tent with a horrendous hangover at 8am each day. Everyone in your group popping their head one by one out  and groaning for half an hour is all part of the fun and then you're ready to get back at it for the day. Rolling out of your tent and being in the thick of the action is an exciting feeling and I think that it would be a shame for someone travelling all this way to experience Glastonbury to not fully emerse themselves in it and get the full experience. I appreciate that my definition of 'the full experience' may well differ to other people's though.

A US glastonbury goer who was camped with us told me that the biggest culture shock of the place was the filth.  From the rubbish on the ground to the smell of the toilets, it took him a couple of days to get used to, explaining that US festivals are quite sterile by comparison.

Much respect to anyone who makes the journey from distant lands, I hope we live up to your expectations.

Oh, and as almost everyone else has said (for good reason), use the lockups.