Toyah/Hazel

Pipkins

The JMJ rumours have got me thinking about other favourites from the late 70s early 80s.  Does anyone know if Hazel or Toyah have played (I know Hazel played the Spirit of stage last year but didn't know if that was the first time at GB)?  I see Toyah is touring soon (at least she's playing in my neck of the woods at Trowbridge Civic Centre in a cpl weeks in Wiltshire).  Would also be good to see ELO (full band not just JL) and esp Mike Oldfield, Cat Stevens and a S and G reunion.  Just typing these few makes me realise what a dismal state modern music is in...

Edited by Pipkins

The JMJ rumours have got me thinking about other favourites from the late 70s early 80s.  Does anyone know if Hazel or Toyah have played (I know Hazel played the Spirit of stage last year but didn't know if that was the first time at GB)?  I see Toyah is touring soon (at least she's playing in my neck of the woods at Trowbridge Civic Centre in a cpl weeks in Wiltshire).  Would also be good to see ELO (full band not just JL) and esp Mike Oldfield, Cat Stevens and a S and G reunion.  Just typing these few makes me realise what a dismal state modern music is in...

Oh Pipkins!

If your username betrays your age, then you and I are contemporaries.

If that's true, then you couldn't be more wrong regarding the 'dismal state' of modern music!

It may be true that most of the music that is most publicised - chart stuff etc. - is generally a bit crap compared to yesteryear, but that is ignoring the indescribably amazing stuff that is now available to us. The difference is that now you have to go looking for it a bit more. In ye olden dayes, there was plenty around from many genres, but the general music consumer was at least aware of most of it, even if they didn't like all of it. Most pop consumers would have known of the rock/metal bands and vice versa. The difference today is that there are SO many bands and artists that continue to create unbeknownst to the majority of music consumers. That doesn't mean that there isn't amazing stuff to be found.

In fact, though I occasionally listen to stuff that I loved in my youth, most of the time I am just not interested in that. I go to one festival a year, every year. I spend 6 months of the year exploring pretty much every artist on the line-up of the festival. I invariably find 1-2 bands/artists that become long-term/life-long favourites. I also find 10-15 bands that I didn't know pre-festival that I adore and that make the festival wonderful. It's all about discovery and putting a bit of homework in for me!

I'm just not one for the reunion/revival/nostalgia kick, I'm afraid, especially of bands that I saw in their pomp. It's better to look forwards, for me...

This will be my second Glastonbury, and unless Radiohead are announced, I would say there is practically zero chance of me seeing a Pyramid headliner. My last 'best' festival was Green Man in 2014 when I saw all three headliners of the third stage! There is SO much good music being made...

:)

Ben

The JMJ rumours have got me thinking about other favourites from the late 70s early 80s.  Does anyone know if Hazel or Toyah have played (I know Hazel played the Spirit of stage last year but didn't know if that was the first time at GB)?  I see Toyah is touring soon (at least she's playing in my neck of the woods at Trowbridge Civic Centre in a cpl weeks in Wiltshire).  Would also be good to see ELO (full band not just JL) and esp Mike Oldfield, Cat Stevens and a S and G reunion.  Just typing these few makes me realise what a dismal state some modern music is in...

I can see your point of view, we do tend to favour the music of our youth, but there are still so many bands/individuals to listen to or see.  Are you wanting more music in the style of Hazel, Toyah, Jeff etc. or to know about other bands who are playing now?  You'll be very familiar with the older tunes, but don't just go with the pap that's in the charts, try other music too, that doesn't get that publicity.  I'm lucky to be near some great venues in Leeds, and have seen great people just by fluke, who I'd never heard of. Listening to the radio and seeing suggestions from various websites, including the new releases thread here, is good for me too on music. I felt I needed to add a qualifier to your comment though.

Sorry, I think I have undersold myself.  I am a huge music fanatic and couldn't tell you what was in the charts for at least the last 20 years!.  I was never mainstream but do feel that pseudo-mainstream back then was quality music, whereas anything bubbling under mainstream these days is generic garbage. I guess what really grates is the way people these days (yes, mostly yp) are so naive about music e.g. those who feel M and Sons equates to 'folk' or that Arcade Fire are soooo diverse.  At least GB has something for everyone, even the naive youngsters.  I'll go and listen to my Yo La Tengo and look forward to/dream about JMJ on mainstage.

Yes, I'm getting old - and yes, Pipkins does give my age away.  Hooray for Hartley Hare!