Best place to camp- in your opinion?

Doug85

Good lord I shoulda phrased that better last night eh :/

OK it's not that worth worrying about being close to the action if you're not planning on spending much time at your tent. The chances of you being camped somewhere overly lively for a festival first timer are fairly high and you will probably have a better time camping a little further out than being cramped in.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does always amaze me when people squeeze in a tent in a treacherous spot between an ice cream van, some longdrops and a big muddy path when if you moved a few hundred yards to a field a bit further out there is plenty of space!

Edited by rubenz

I've only ever been once last year and carried way too much stuff. Only got the coach in at 7am Wednesday and decided camping in Woodsies was as far as I was gonna get. Definitely investing in a decent trolley next time.

Not gonna lie didn't even get as far as the SE corner in the evenings due to the mud and crowds. My furthest walk back was probably from the Park and that took a good 40 mins in the mud.

It was close enough to Beat Hotel and Silver Hayes though and I got a decent sleep so I'd probably stop off there again. Plus there were no idiots around, in fact the only downside was the compost toilets that were hardly ever clean.

Think the importance of this can be overstated - unless walking is a problem. 

Glastonbury takes a lot of walking anyway, so a bit more or less to get to the tent probably doesn't make that much difference. 

Have camped in Bushy for the last two years - which is not the most popular, but there's plenty of space. Tbh I don't go back to the tent much. It was a bit of a drag when I was in the SE corner at 3am and just wanted to sleep.... but otherwise the long walks were fine.

Can see super-cramped campsites being a bummer though.

Are there any campsites which still have the sitting around fires and chatting into the small hours vibe - remember that a lot in 2004, but think that's been one of the big changes.

I've only ever been once last year and carried way too much stuff. Only got the coach in at 7am Wednesday and decided camping in Woodsies was as far as I was gonna get. Definitely investing in a decent trolley next time.

Not gonna lie didn't even get as far as the SE corner in the evenings due to the mud and crowds. My furthest walk back was probably from the Park and that took a good 40 mins in the mud.

It was close enough to Beat Hotel and Silver Hayes though and I got a decent sleep so I'd probably stop off there again. Plus there were no idiots around, in fact the only downside was the compost toilets that were hardly ever clean.

What mud?

My first time with friends who have been before. Looking at pylon, Rivermead or South Park I think as we want a bit of space for a camp fire and quieter nights.

They're all good for space in general, although Pylon was noticeably busier this year, and Bushy and Dairy are good as well.

I noticed Webbs Ash (the one opposite the Beat Hotel) did seem to have more space this year than I'd usually expect as well. Quite strange.

Thanks for all the opinions so far!

I'd say I wouldn't mind staying out after the last acts as other festivals I've been to usually end for the night after the 11-12 mark. Will be new terrain for me and I am keen to see as much late night music/Arcadia as possible. Walking isn't a major issue for me as I usually camp towards the back of other festivals mainly for quietness but I am torn between wanting to be near the Pyramid or go for somewhere like Bushy Ground and get a decent nights sleep.

We started at the top of Kidney Mead in our first year more by accident than design as we park in blue or purple parking, and have slowly moved up Big Side over the years - even though we spend little of our time at the Pyramid. It's a hefty walk over to the Green Fields, Park, Avalon etc etc, but thinking my increasing age likes the proper flushing loos at the top of Big Side!! No problems over the years with neighbours, but then I sleep through anything even the early morning returnees!

They're all good for space in general, although Pylon was noticeably busier this year, and Bushy and Dairy are good as well.

I noticed Webbs Ash (the one opposite the Beat Hotel) did seem to have more space this year than I'd usually expect as well. Quite strange.

Aye, Pylon was definitely busier this year - I guess that's going to happen though with more and more people coming by public transport.

Thanks, just going to have make sure I park on the west side of the festival.

Not sure what it was like this year as I was in family camping but Bushy Ground has been my field of choice in recent years. Quiet enough to get a good night's sleep and nice atmosphere (although I suppose in any field, that depends on your immediate neighbours.)

Only downsides to it for me are the walk through the dance village at night. The entrance can also be pretty treacherous if it's a muddy one.

Same for Rivermead too which is virtually adjacent to Bushy Ground.

Edited by Andeeroo

Thanks for all the opinions so far!

I'd say I wouldn't mind staying out after the last acts as other festivals I've been to usually end for the night after the 11-12 mark. Will be new terrain for me and I am keen to see as much late night music/Arcadia as possible. Walking isn't a major issue for me as I usually camp towards the back of other festivals mainly for quietness but I am torn between wanting to be near the Pyramid or go for somewhere like Bushy Ground and get a decent nights sleep.

You'll want to watch the sunrise from the Stone Circle at least once,it's a glorious site with the mist and all,try and choose a night with the least cloud cover.

Are there any campsites which still have the sitting around fires and chatting into the small hours vibe - remember that a lot in 2004, but think that's been one of the big changes.

I wish. The late night entertainment has killed the campsite life to a great extent.

I'd rather have the lovely chilled chats and music and campfires at night and the action in the day - maybe skip out to the stone circle or greenfields but by actual nighttime the SE corner is just a bunch of quiet clubs. It's waaaaaaay better earlier when less crowded and stuff is still on elsewhere. If anyone sees a campfire near my flag do please come over

I quite like Bushy Ground. Last two times I've camped there it has never been too overcrowded and in the first year there was plenty of room for us to have a fire. 

It is a pretty big trek from Shangri-La and all that but not too far from Other & John Peel. Then again I like walking and never think anything is that far in Glastonbury.

This. Bushy is the perfect spot for us.

I miss the fires too Frosty, remember heading back late and joining people snuggled around their camp fire chatting, was a great end to the day.

I camped in pennards this year S2H but sadly didn't find these areas, wasn't really looking though, will definitely have a scout about next year, sounds lovely.

Found this aerial shot, looks like they could be places you are talking about.

Charm x

15db5tx.png