Best place to camp- in your opinion?

Doug85

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my money probably Dairy.  Close enough to the action to not be too much of a trek, far enough out to not be too tightly packed.

I've camped in various places around the site now, they all have their merits and it really is a matter of what you yourself are looking for and the pot luck factor of who camps around you.  

For my money probably Dairy. Close enough to the action to not be too much of a trek, far enough out to not be too tightly packed.

I've camped in various places around the site now, they all have their merits and it really is a matter of what you yourself are looking for and the pot luck factor of who camps around you.

Likewise. Used to do Pennard before it got too packed. Dairy or South Park are decent spots.

Depends on what side of the festival you are likely to be on at the end of the night. If you are an Acoustic type then go for the East side.  My preference is at the top of Big Ground.  If you are more of a John Peel type pick somewhere on the West.

Either way it's worth a trek or two to get all your stuff to a decent spot rather than settling for the first space you get to, as you'll be there for the best part of a week.

Need a bit more info really, when do you want to get there and what sort of festival are you looking for - mad all nighter with the young 'uns or just a quiet place to sleep with some room to move for the old farts like me?

Broadly speaking the further north west you go the quieter (and nicer for me) it gets. Head south and east, and basically anywhere near the Pyramid and Other stage and it gets a bit mad, loud and cramped. And you will need to get there early because it fills up really quickly

There rally is a camping spot for everyone, you just need to know what sort of festival you are looking for, and when you intend to arrive

What time does that fill by tho?

Christ knows, I haven't camped there since 2010 and we got lucky then at 11am just 2 tents.

I guess you have to get there at the crack of dawn ever since the field was butchered in 2013 for the stones.

It's a shame because there was a genuine community there, lots of groups of people who had camped there for years and years and years. They probably don't even go to the festival anymore.

I know the festival needs new blood etc but it's still quite sad how things change

I quite like Bushy Ground. Last two times I've camped there it has never been too overcrowded and in the first year there was plenty of room for us to have a fire. 

It is a pretty big trek from Shangri-La and all that but not too far from Other & John Peel. Then again I like walking and never think anything is that far in Glastonbury. 

I can't say what it was like this year as I was a worker so camped off site but the previous two times I got there around 11:00 and there was plenty of room to choose your spot. 

I'm not too fussed about where I camp as I only use my camping area for sleeping meaning I'm only there about 5 hours a day. Preferably somewhere reasonably close to the action.

These two statements are somewhat contradictory - if you're not spending much time there it's not worth worrying about whether it's that lively. The "lively" campsites are only so because of tent density - it's the same people everywhere pretty much.

if you want less folk coming through your site/less guy rope tripping/less random wasted folk camp further out, if you don't mind the chaos and mess and some guy who never leaves his tent for five days except to occasionally shout sheep then pennards might be exactly your bag

i think first timers are better off further out - lower chance of camping next to mental people and the extra walk does you little harm, better to be able to find your tent more easily and not end up cramped next to a loo

These two statements are somewhat contradictory - if you're not spending much time there it's not worth worrying about whether it's that lively. The "lively" campsites are only so because of tent density - it's the same people everywhere pretty much.

They said close to the action, not lively. I don't spend much time at my tent either, but I like having it fairly central. It's nice to be able to go back and get things during the day without having to trek into the next county. If you're organised enough to not need to go back at all apart from to sleep it does seem a bit of a waste - might as well sleep somewhere quieter.

Depends somewhat on whether you like to go back to the tent during the day and also where you want to end up at night.

I like South Park as you can head back via the Park Area and maybe take in the Spider en route back to the tent. Also if its a really late one you can sit up on the Flagtopia hill and take in a sunrise on the way back. Plus it's also pretty quiet at night and doesn't fill up until pretty late and as its on the outskirts near the fence not many incidents of tent robbing as far as I've heard.

I have a large capacity for walking long distances at Glasto though so you may want something nearer to the main festival bits.

They said close to the action, not lively.

Aye but the two are pretty closely linked - which quiet campsites are there right next to bits of actual festival?

I've just heard a LOT of first timer stories trying to camp "near the action" in Pennards and ending up crammed in with folk falling on their tents, waking up with randomers in it or people shouting, pee in strange places - first timers deserve a better chance. A little further out is still close to the action but less nutty

Aye but the two are pretty closely linked - which quiet campsites are there right next to bits of actual festival?

I've just heard a LOT of first timer stories trying to camp "near the action" in Pennards and ending up crammed in with folk falling on their tents, waking up with randomers in it or people shouting, pee in strange places - first timers deserve a better chance. A little further out is still close to the action but less nutty

True, but I think they were looking to reduce the travel time when going to bed/grabbing beers. In that case, wanting to be 'close to the action' is entirely consistent with not wanting to spend much time at the tent.