LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

Add the reunion factor to the equation and I reckon they're an arena sized band.

I'm skeptical about them headlining the other stage though. On the one hand James Murphy doesn't seem like a greedy bastard, on the other everyone knows that the majority of reunions are primarily  about the wonga.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

How big are they? Ally Pally seems decent bet, they were playing Academies last time round and I don't see them as an arena act.

I think it is only this forum where they seem to be big. Their record sales and previous sized venues they have played does not really equate to the hype that surrounds them on here. Are they any bigger than Hot Chip?

To be fair though, I will be watching them if they play. They do nothing for me really on record after I gave them a good go, but I did watch the video of their final appearance in NY and was pretty impressed.

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think it is only this forum where they seem to be big. Their record sales and previous sized venues they have played does not really equate to the hype that surrounds them on here. Are they any bigger than Hot Chip?

To be fair though, I will be watching them if they play. They do nothing for me really on record after I gave them a good go, but I did watch the video of their final appearance in NY and was pretty impressed.

they did headline wireless festival in 2010 

Just now, Muppetmark said:

they did headline wireless festival in 2010 

I find them hard to gauge from a how big are they point of view as I do not know one single person that likes them. Yet on here they seem to be the best thing since Technics made the mk 5's.

To be fair how big a band is perceived to be is no reflection on the quality of a band and by all accounts they are apparently fantastic live, hence I will be there to see them when they are on.

When I have listened to them though it has always left me with an air of disappointment. It is as if I have been trying too hard to like them. They have all the ingredients of the type of band I usually like and electro pop is my thing, yet it all sounds a bit lightweight to me. Funny thing is that I really liked the Juan Maclean when I finally got round to giving him/them a listen.

12 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Add the reunion factor to the equation and I reckon they're an arena sized band.

I'm skeptical about them headlining the other stage though. On the one hand James Murphy doesn't seem like a greedy bastard, on the other everyone knows that the majority of reunions are primarily  about the wonga.

Yeah, he strikes me as the sort that does things because they're interesting or fun rather than to maximise profit. That's why I think these rumours about LCD playing will turn out to be true.

In July 2010, LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy explained why he was choosing to end the group at that time, hinting at both the final show at Madison Square Garden and that he might reunite the band five years later: 'It's not like some big, dramatic ending-- we've talked about if in five years we'd want to play again we'd do it. It's all just gotten bigger than I planned or wanted. Not that I'm against it but I don't want to get bigger. What's the goal now-- get fucking huge? I don't want to be a famous person. It's fucking great where we are. I get on an airplane and nobody has any idea who I am. I just want to do other stuff. And since we know we're not gonna do another record I feel freer to do the biggest shit I possibly can. Like, 'Fuck it, we should play Madison Square Garden.'

I was excited, I still am very excited as I know up go and see them whenever they play, but I hope and pray it isn't BST instead of Glastonbury, don't mind if it's as well as

Didnt one of the first people to say about them in here say they had heard a London gig and Glastonbury? 

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm hoping they're headlining Field Day and The Other, that sounds about right, doesn't it? I know people who do Field Day, so if they don't do Glastonbury then I'll go to that.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, Field Day or a similar event like that plus Glastonbury. Possibly a third somewhere else but that might be overkill.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm hoping they're headlining Field Day and The Other, that sounds about right, doesn't it? I know people who do Field Day, so if they don't do Glastonbury then I'll go to that.

Thing is, they're rumoured to be doing Bonnaroo on FD weekend which would likely rule them out - although COS are pretty much the source of that rumour and they didn't bother mentioning in the article.

BST would be pretty okay I think. They could some friends to make up a strong supporting line up and also could end up with cheapo tickets.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Thing is, they're rumoured to be doing Bonnaroo on FD weekend which would likely rule them out - although COS are pretty much the source of that rumour and they didn't bother mentioning in the article.

BST would be pretty okay I think. They could some friends to make up a strong supporting line up and also could end up with cheapo tickets.

If I was being really outlandish I'd wish for Manchester International Festival, that's where Despacio debuted, so maybe James has a lot of affection for it.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yup, plus they're not going to slap exclusivity on like some other fests would try to, leaving the door open for a Glasto slot. 

Seems a bit of a stretch at first, but they've done it before and as you say with a strong support I'm sure it wouldn't sell too badly. 

34 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I was excited, I still am very excited as I know up go and see them whenever they play, but I hope and pray it isn't BST instead of Glastonbury, don't mind if it's as well as

Didnt one of the first people to say about them in here say they had heard a London gig and Glastonbury? 

LCD won't be doing BST, not as a headliner anyway, they aren't close to being that size here. Glasto is possible but as is Bestival.

50 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

AEG got any vested interests in any UK fests?

I think you'd be looking at GNR is this field.