LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

Most of the article does appear to be a stinkpiece, I agree there. Fantano's got legitimate criticism for the most part and I'll accept that. I don't think he's a racist and I think calling him alt-right as things stand now is sensationalist bullshit. But he's clearly got links with some very unsavoury figures, and his defence of the Sam Hyde post cast and his involvement in The Amazing Atheist's video is utter bollocks.

In his discussion of the Sam Hyde podcast, he refuses to take any responsibility for the fact that he allowed this to go on his channel, this was The Needle Drop podcast, and whether or not this was "nervous laughter" and he didn't agree with what was being said (which I'm completely not convinced of), he did nothing to challenge the crap Sam Hyde was coming out with. Meekly saying "a lot of people will hear this" is not challenging those views at all, it's not saying he disagrees, it's not pulling Sam Hyde up on those points, it's merely saying that some people who do disagree might hear it. Fantano let those views be aired on his postcast without any debate or criticism, he is definitely responsible. Him trying to dodge the flak in that response with "well didn't say anything did I?" is a load of cowardly bullshit. He doesn't even say he disagrees with Sam Hyde, he just says it wasn't him that says it, so he's STILL leaving those comments unchallenged. And because Fader never addressed Fantano praising Sam Hyde for mocking the disabled or laughing for 5 solid minutes while Hyde does a racist Jamaican accent, he never has to address it in that video.

Then he refuses to take criticism for telling feminists to drink bleach in the Amazing Atheist's video, purely because the Amazing Atheist isn't alt-right. Just because he's not a white supremacist doesn't mean you shouldn't have to defend yourself for associating with him. If he's still unapologetic about appearing in a hateful sexist video with outspoken sexists and Islamaphobes (and that's the best I can say about them, I know nothing of whatever other shitty views the neckbeard fedoras express outside of that particular video), then he's ligitimsing their views. If he unapologetically and uncritically assosciates with these people, then he's also culpable for their shit.

I haven't seen the Sargon Of Akaad video so I can't comment on that, but Fantano seems even more keen to gloss over that one as quickly as possible than he does the Sam Hyde podcast, so I don't feel good about that.

I will say that I'm disappointed in Fader for writing a sensationalist stinkpeice which completely misses the point, which allows Fantano to wriggle out of this more easily. Hopefully some more reputable journalist will nail him down on the valid points.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I haven't seen the Sargon Of Akaad video so I can't comment on that, but Fantano seems even more keen to gloss over that one as quickly as possible than he does the Sam Hyde podcast, so I don't feel good about that.

"Glastonbury Festival is like a middle classy hippy festival, really annoying. I've specifically never been because I know the sort of people that go to Glastonbury every year. And the Reading festival was always way better, the music was way better too, but the cool kids went to Reading." - Carl 'Sargon of Akkad' Benjamin

All you need to know about him tbh.

Also I love LCD Soundsystem.

12 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

"Glastonbury Festival is like a middle classy hippy festival, really annoying. I've specifically never been because I know the sort of people that go to Glastonbury every year. And the Reading festival was always way better, the music was way better too, but the cool kids went to Reading." - Carl 'Sargon of Akkad' Benjamin

All you need to know about him tbh.

Also I love LCD Soundsystem.

His surname says it all.

• 3 weeks later...