LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

O2 tried to enforce the names on tickets thing at Foo Fighters last night, eventually they gave up and let everybody in whose names didn't match, and it was a rare enough occurrence that it was reported in Stereogum, so it's a safe bet that nowhere really enforces it. Been to loads of gigs where the tickets say that, and never been checked.

They need to enforce this to stop the touts. A few more highly publicised incidents like the Foo Fighters gig will make people think twice about buying from Viagogo, Stubhub etc. Yes, a few real fans are gonna be upset if they get turned away after paying obscene amounts for a resold ticket, but it's a small price to pay if we can put an end to this extortion. 

It just needs to be made clearer that Twickets are the official resale agency. But See/Ticketmaster won't do this as they have their own nefarious sister companies reselling tickets they've already made money on.

I've received an email from Ally Pally advising they will be checking IDs. 

Edited by StLewi

I think you overestimate the reach that events like that will have. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere except on here, for instance. More venues need to stay away from those ticketing companies that have secondary ticketing sites - Ticketmaster et al - and side with those who will pair up with, e.g. Twickets. It's not going to be a revolution from the people, unfortunately. Educating the masses is really hard.

You're right. Venues want to be seen as thought they're doing something, but really they could be doing a lot more. They won't, though, as they know the current system enables them to sell more tickets.

At the end of the day, it's all about making the most money as possible. Promoters, venues, ticket companies and, to some extent, bands don't give a shit about the real fans. If they did, a lot more would be done.

What's stopping a band as big as Foo Fighters, who know their tickets are gonna be sold for inflated prices, demanding a Glasto-style ticketing system? The same with Adele and Coldplay earlier in the year... they came out and lambasted the secondhand ticket market prior to the release of the tickets, but didn't actually do anything to stop it. 

Edited by StLewi

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

I think you overestimate the reach that events like that will have. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere except on here, for instance. More venues need to stay away from those ticketing companies that have secondary ticketing sites - Ticketmaster et al - and side with those who will pair up with, e.g. Twickets. It's not going to be a revolution from the people, unfortunately. Educating the masses is really hard.

it was all over the place. i saw it reported on the BBC and Stereogum.

23 minutes ago, StLewi said:

You're right. Venues want to be seen as thought they're doing something, but really they could be doing a lot more. They won't, though, as they know the current system enables them to sell more tickets.

At the end of the day, it's all about making the most money as possible. Promoters, venues, ticket companies and, to some extent, bands don't give a shit about the real fans. If they did, a lot more would be done.

What's stopping a band as big as Foo Fighters, who know their tickets are gonna be sold for inflated prices, demanding a Glasto-style ticketing system? The same with Adele and Coldplay earlier in the year... they came out and lambasted the secondhand ticket market prior to the release of the tickets, but didn't actually do anything to stop it. 

A Glasto style ticketing system would likely add heavily to the price of each ticket so they'd be inflated anyway.

Also, Adele partnered with Songkick for the sale of the tickets which has anti-touting measures and she also partnered with and publicised Twickets for the face value resale of the tickets. I think that's a realistic and cost effective way of limiting touts.

19 minutes ago, StLewi said:

demand from who?

SeeTickets are the only ones I'm aware of that have this facility, they'd have to devote lots of time, resources and money to setting up the system for non-Glastonbury events so that people can register, upload photos, moderate the photos, change the printing of tickets. that's a massive administrative pain in the arse. so all that costs money which will be dumped on top of the ticket price.

then there's various other ticket providers who don't have the facilities at all who need to develop and administer it at enormous cost too.

Glastonbury is a once-off for 135,000 people and it takes See ages to do the tickets. if there's tours from Foo Fighters, Adele, Coldplay all playing stadiums and arenas all around the country, that's millions of tickets, which means hiring shitloads more staff. which means massive costs, which will be passed on to the customer. all for a relatively tiny amount of concerts where touting is a problem.

Glasto-style ticketing is completely unworkable for normal gigs/tours.

I still think there should be some sort of method for transferring tickets if sold via Twickets. 

Maybe bring a copy of the confirmation email from Twickets? Or maybe Twickets could issue a document with the ticket number and name of the new buyer stating that tickets were sold at FV that could be presented at the entrance? Or better still, Twickets issue the venue with the names of all people who have bought via their site and they are checked off at one entrance?

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I still think there should be some sort of method for transferring tickets if sold via Twickets. 

Maybe bring a copy of the confirmation email from Twickets? Or maybe Twickets could issue a document with the ticket number and name of the new buyer stating that tickets were sold at FV that could be presented at the entrance? Or better still, Twickets issue the venue with the names of all people who have bought via their site and they are checked off at one entrance?

Twickets are doing this. I had a spare LCD ticket for tomorrow night so I contacted Twickets to figure out how a buyer would get in without my presence. They advised that, as a partner of the venue, they produce a document with the buyer's name so they can be ID'd on the night. 

Just now, StLewi said:

Twickets are doing this. I had a spare LCD ticket for tomorrow night so I contacted Twickets to figure out how a buyer would get in without my presence. They advised that, as a partner of the venue, they produce a document with the buyer's name so they can be ID'd on the night. 

Are they? Well that dumps on my brilliant and unique idea...

They just need to do it for more gigs.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Are they? Well that dumps on my brilliant and unique idea...

They just need to do it for more gigs.

Yep they have a list of partners where that is the protocol. I just dunno how free artists and venues are to work in tandem with Twickets when Live Nation promotes so many artists and owns so many venues, and also has its own secondary resale site(s).

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They're not "touting sites". It's a site with some touting on it, but is advertised as an outlet for average folk to buy and sell tickets. They need to make touting illegal , rather than the sites.

The easiest way to do it would be for legislation to be put in place banning tickets being sold for more than say 5% increase on FV. It wouldn't shut it down altogether as people would retreat to social media and Gumtree to sell, but it would instantly stop people bulk buying to sell on StubHub et al as the profits wouldn't be worth it.

37 minutes ago, evannn said:

Re: tonight's gig at Ally Pally, does anyone know where the shuttle buses run from? We've seen them running but don't know where they stop. tia 

Come out of Wood Green station and cross directly over the many traffic lights to station road. On the left there is a normal bus stop, and then there will be one after it where the shuttle bus will be stopping. Its £2 I think for a return.

• Upvote 1

ayo, I've got a spare ticket face for tomorrow if anybody wants one, PM me. Can meet you near venue, tickets are in my name so will be able to show bouncers ID in my name if that's being enforced. I promised I'm legit and won't stab you and take your money, please don't stab me and take my tickets.

2 hours ago, evilduck said:

Come out of Wood Green station and cross directly over the many traffic lights to station road. On the left there is a normal bus stop, and then there will be one after it where the shuttle bus will be stopping. Its £2 I think for a return.

2 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

You want the W3 from by Wood Green

map-from-wood-green.png 

W3 also goes from Finsbury Park but it's quicker from Wood Green

Thanks guys! Found it no problem :) £1 as well, cheaper than a gin and tonic tinny from the Sainsbury's over the road 

3 hours ago, evilduck said:

Excellent stuff, it's well worth it to not trek up that hill! Have there been ID checks tonight?

There were quick scans, not sure if you could get away with flashing ID confidently. I didn't see anyone get turned away, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening