LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

1 hour ago, Bradders said:

I think it's a very accomplished album, you'd expect nothing else from LCD, but it's not that much fun, is it? It needs more dumb funk, the only one that's really got my head bopping is Other Voices. Tonite is good too of course but could go somewhere much ravier. So far, the darker stuff hasn't really caught me. Giving it an 8/10.

The 'issue' for me is that it's steeped in a particular strain of doomy early 80s post punk that doesn't really do much for me in its original incarnation.

Although that said Oh Baby is basically a riff on Dream Baby Dream, which is now so common a jumping off point that even Springsteen's a few years ahead of them.

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

It's a good evolution for them imo. The old albums still exist, don't need to repeat them.

I'm not asking for a repeat, there are plenty of ways they could change whilst still being danceable and euphoric. As CalGon says, the direction they've gone in is not one that particularly interests me. It's still LCD though and there's enough in there for repeated listens.

Edited by Bradders

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I'd go as far as to say everyone who doesn't have the same opinion on music as I do is a twat.

That little snigger he tends to do when he knows his opinion is different to the popular one, as an almost 'brace yourself', really gets to me, man. The lad is allowed his opinion, and oft times I agree with it, but he rubs me up the wrong way.

12 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I'd put good money on all of Emotional Haircut, Other Voices and Change Yr Mind becoming absolutely lethal let alone 'euphoric' when the full Al Doyle treatment is unleashed on them in the live environment. No worries.

That's what I'm waiting to find out! Other Voices will for sure.

12 minutes ago, Bradders said:

That's what I'm waiting to find out! Other Voices will for sure.

the whole way the second half of Emotional Haircut suddenly quietens down and then builds back up again into a whirlwind of massive guitars... almost The Chain-esque. Gonna go absolutely off.

On 05/09/2017 at 4:32 PM, Zac Quinn said:

no problem, enjoy :) just a heads up to anyone else wanting to do that, I'll probably delete it before long because it takes up a third of my Dropbox storage so don't take your time :D 

Yea thanks its only took me five or so minutes to download which was nice

He's a twat, and irritating as fuck, and I don't agree with him a lot of the time, but he's one of the very few high-profile journalists who can actually competently talk/write about music. 99.99999% of music reviews I see are just meaningless bullshit context, followed by a load of w*nky metaphors to try and discuss stuff the reviewer doesn't have the vocabulary for. 

Haven't watched the LCD one though, I don't need to hear him talk about an album I already like.

As an old fart, currently on holiday in Cornwall, I decided to give LCD Soundsystem a whirl over a g & t (or 2); love their new album. For me, I can hear bits of PiL, Talking Heads and even Human League.

Regretting never seen them (ditto The National), will be buying both their new albums this weekend; an excellent addition to my limited vinyl collection.

Anyhow, that's me, now back to my g & t :)

IMG_1112.thumb.JPG.2110f45daa3e05e94343a4dd2a7f1c7c.JPG

• Like 1

On 04/09/2017 at 5:47 PM, fatyeti24 said:

I've listened to the album a few times now and it's not really doing it for me, sadly. Tonite and call the police aside, it's all a bit gloomy. It takes its cues from artists im not into. It lacks the hug-your-mates dancability of, say, get innocuous or dance yrself clean or all my friends.  There's a real absence of exuberance.  Too much shade, too little light. 

And where the fuck is all the cowbell?

Chin up, Murphy. 

This is where I'm at. The two singles and Oh Baby are the highlights for me, so far.

22 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The 'issue' for me is that it's steeped in a particular strain of doomy early 80s post punk that doesn't really do much for me in its original incarnation.

Although that said Oh Baby is basically a riff on Dream Baby Dream, which is now so common a jumping off point that even Springsteen's a few years ahead of them.

Eurgh I don't actually mind Springsteen but I didn't need to discover that cover.

This is the first album of theirs I've given a proper go around release time as I've only got into them proper over the last few years and I'm really enjoying it. Big Suicide fan so the comparisons between them and Oh Baby I like.

They're a bit bloody good at the chilled for half a song before kicking into it halfway through aren't they? It must be hard not just to do that every song (I'm glad they dont).

13 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Eurgh I don't actually mind Springsteen but I didn't need to discover that cover.

I think it's great....and not that it matters, but so did Alan Vega

“A lot of bands have done my stuff, Suicide stuff, and they basically try and copy and do it the way that you do it,” Vega said of Springsteen’s cover back in 2005. “Thank God – finally somebody did their version of it. He did it his way, and such a great way, that I’m going to have to sing it that way, or not sing it at all any more.”

Suicide are an obvious influence on Nebraska.

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think it's great....and not that it matters, but so did Alan Vega

Suicide are an obvious influence on Nebraska.

You're right it doesn't matter, but it's interesting none the less. I'll give it another go when the first impressions died down and I'm not at-that-point listening to Suicide.

On 05/09/2017 at 4:23 PM, popcornmaster said:

Sad to read in that interview that it's unlikely that 'how do you sleep?' will be played before the end of the year. Not only is it an absolute banger but the end would merge perfectly into the start of Someone Great. 

Where has it been said they wont play how do u sleep?

11 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

Where has it been said they wont play how do u sleep?

http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/qa-james-murphy-lcd-soundsystems-american-dream-just-stopped-giving-shit-101387

"Do you think you’ll be able to play all these songs live?"
"I think we’ll be technically capable, but I think with a couple we’re gonna wait. We can already play half of them, and I don’t know if we would ever play “Black Screen” live, but there may be a time where that’s appropriate to do. With “How Do You Sleep?”, I think we’ll wait. We learned something on the last record – “Dance Yrself Clean” we didn’t play for a while. And it was good, because it’s such a big thing to absorb as an audience, so I think it’s better that people know it a bit before trying to wrestle with something like that. The record comes out in September, so maybe we’ll be playing “How Do You Sleep?” by the end of the year. Because it’s not a party-starter, it’s a heavy heavy thing."

In related news, the European tour is underway, and they're not only playing barely anything new, but they're still opening with Yr City's A Sucker rather than Us V Them. Not sure what's up with that. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lcd-soundsystem/2017/vega-copenhagen-denmark-be2cda6.html

On 9/6/2017 at 6:37 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

He's a twat, and irritating as fuck, and I don't agree with him a lot of the time, but he's one of the very few high-profile journalists who can actually competently talk/write about music. 99.99999% of music reviews I see are just meaningless bullshit context, followed by a load of w*nky metaphors to try and discuss stuff the reviewer doesn't have the vocabulary for. 

Haven't watched the LCD one though, I don't need to hear him talk about an album I already like.

He's a hell of a bassplayer.

50 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

In related news, the European tour is underway, and they're not only playing barely anything new, but they're still opening with Yr City's A Sucker rather than Us V Them. Not sure what's up with that. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lcd-soundsystem/2017/vega-copenhagen-denmark-be2cda6.html

I'd take that every time.