I know lots of people already talking about this but...

Dannytc

I'm new to festivals etc, and the whole Glastonbury typical headline act "choice" but what is it about Adele that makes so many people grunt and not like the idea?

I know she's mainstream, but I've heard she a big fan of the festival.

Even always remember seeing this clip of her there years and years ago!

What is the criteria people look in someone to be seen as being a good headliner?

(sorry if all of the above is daft to ask!)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like someone who sings songs I like to listen to. Revolutionary idea, I know. Maybe technically her voice is amazing - this many octaves or whatever - but it's just really dull. If it's your thing, then good on you, I hope she headlines Saturday night and everyone has a brilliant time, I just won't be there under any circumstance imaginable! If she was playing a concert on my balcony, I'd head off out for a walk. There's just nothing there to appeal to me at all.

She once had a rant about how she didn't like paying 50% tax when lots of things in the country are shit to a magazine so now she is the devil. I am sure she was  just being silly/not thinking and at least she is paying the fucking tax. How many other Pyramid headliners have just been complete tax dogers I wonder.

Edited by Festival Liam

She once had a rant about how she didn't like paying 50% tax when lots of things in the country are shit to a magazine so now she is the devil. I am sure she was just being silly/not thinking and at least she is paying the fucking tax. How many other Pyramid headliners have just been complete tax dogers I wonder.

U2 had a demo in thier set i was standing next to them when they released the big orange baloon

Oh, didn't know about the tax remarks.

Hmm, feel a bit daft asking the question in this post after everyone's replies. I guess it is all down to taste in music and what you want to see, just seemed a lot of people really didnt want her there.

Anyways, still can't wait! its my first glasto, so going to making it epic!

She's bland, middle of the road shite, for people that like beige, x-factor and radio1. The sort of music your mum would want for Christmas. See also Buble, Sam Smith and Emile Sandi.

What a well reasoned and educated argument....anything else you can enlighten us with or is that the full extent of your bigotry?

I get really peeved off reading people's dislikes of chosen bands. It's not as if there's only one stage.  The great thing about Glasto is the mix.  If you don't like someone go and see something different.

To be honest my biggest issue with her is that she's only got two albums out, with no idea about what the third will contain. That's a small number of big hits, which I always associate with a headliner but by then there might be 4-5 more. I think killers and arctic monkeys first time suffered from that, and arcade fire too.

To be honest my biggest issue with her is that she's only got two albums out, with no idea about what the third will contain. That's a small number of big hits, which I always associate with a headliner but by then there might be 4-5 more. I think killers and arctic monkeys first time suffered from that, and arcade fire too.

i've read comments recently by Damon Albarn and Mark Ronson. who've both worked on some tracks, that haven't been too enthusastic.  certainly there's been a long gestation and a lot of writers, which isn't usually a great arbiter.

it'll still sell in the millions though, i'm sure.

I get really peeved off reading people's dislikes of chosen bands. It's not as if there's only one stage.  The great thing about Glasto is the mix.  If you don't like someone go and see something different.

Daft thing to get peeved about on an internet forum, it'd be boring if we didn't disagree. The Kanye and Taylor Swift threads have been some of the best threads ever, because we on the side of right have pounded the haters into oblivion and won a decisive victory.

[insert your favourite band here] are turds. Fight me bro.

Adele is the kind of singer that I would listen to at Glastonbury - provided she was on The Other Stage early on and I was camped down wind from her and getting ready to leave the tent.

Other than that, I probably wouldn't bother. I certainly don't hate her, just wouldn't go out of my way to hear her. Rolling In The Deep is ok, I suppose.

Well, I'm quite surprised at the mix. Glad I asked now though!

I just find her quite fascinating, someone who does actually not live up to any part of being a celeb and yet had become one of the most well known female singers in years.

I hope she's there because I really want to experience one of those moments where the entire crowd sings a long to one of her songs.

Well, I'm quite surprised at the mix. Glad I asked now though!

I just find her quite fascinating, someone who does actually not live up to any part of being a celeb and yet had become one of the most well known female singers in years.

I hope she's there because I really want to experience one of those moments where the entire crowd sings a long to one of her songs.

Fair play, you'd certainly get that with 'Someone Like You'. Edited by stuartbert two hats

Imagine if they didn't during the slow months. "Yeah I really like *INSERT ACT* and think they should play", "I concur good fellow" would be about the basis of discussion.

I don't mind Adele actually, I wouldn't go see her most likely, but she doesn't seem to annoy me as much other pop singers. I guess the female Coldplay, she exists but I have no strong feelings about her either way. (Quite liked her Bond theme for Skyfall though)