ATP

Zoo Music Girl

Anyone here going to this in Prestatyn? We booked tickets on the strength of it being Stewart Lee and I'm quite excited by the first line up announcement. Not loads of bands I'm familiar with but plenty I've always wanted to explore more and still some to come.

Anyone been to one of these elsewhere? How did you find the chalet set up? Obviously going to be a bit different to camping but maybe plus sides to that... I like the idea of doing Pontins-type things like crazy golf and going to the beach alongside music and comedy etc.

I went to a couple when they were down in Minehead. Really fun, and really well thought out and organised. Although I didn't actually partake, the pool, crazy golf etc is nice, as is all the other stuff they have there. Obviously some of it costs, and it could make it quite an expensive weekend, but it does add to the experience. 

I found the atmosphere to fantastic as well, and having the artists stay in the same digs as the punters only adds to this.

I really recommned you watch this before you go: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870210/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 A few years old now, but it'll give you a feel of the ethos of ATP.

I'm tempted by the Iceland in the Spring...

• 3 weeks later...

Prestatyn has a lot to live up to.  I've been to several, both in Camber Sands and Minehead.  Minehead had the best accommodation and facilities (love seeing sickly indie-kids queueing up for the water-slide), but the main venue was a bit too soul-less: a huge echoing atrium surrounded by neon signs for fast food stores and amusement arcades etc.  Camber sands was a bit grubby, but the venues and sound were far better.

In some respects, ATP is the best festival I've been to.  There's probably a majority of hipsters (ATP is where I first saw people with beards before it became a 'thing') along with a smaller contingent of party animals.   Three big things jump out as to why it's so good:

• ATP TV.  An eclectic mix of hilarious, fascinating and harrowing stuff that you might not have seen elsewhere
  • Artists hanging around and watching other artists.  I've ended up getting wrecked in the chalets with some of my heroes.
  • The chalets.  They're not yours, so you don't mind strangers piling in, which leads to lots of drunken late night shenanigans.

Until I saw your post, I'd no idea that Stewart Lee was curating one.  I'm now about to make plans...

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Tuna said:

Late to this ZMG, but Mark E Spliff's absolutely right. You just see some amazing musicians wonder the place, and you find some amazing people, the atmosphere is delightful... you're going to love it.

Thanks Tuna :) I am really looking forward to it and I must say having it in the calendar is easing the no Glasto blues somewhat...

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/8/2016 at 8:37 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah thanks for the heads up. Not planning on bringing a vast amount of booze anyway due to not being able to drink in the venues.

Dogs seem a bit excessive! Anyone caught out that way?

At Camber Sands you could walk out of the venue with a little bit of your pint, go back to your chalet, fill her up, and stroll back in. 

Hope everything goes ahead as planned - looks like there's a lot of typical ATP-like business going around... 

Fucking hell:

Barry Hogan is one of the biggest crooks in the music industry. How the hell does he manage to get away with it? Bands and fans need to stay well clear. There's a reason why no ticket agency will touch them any more.

Edited by zero000

On 16 April 2016 at 2:19 AM, zero000 said:

Fucking hell:

Barry Hogan is one of the biggest crooks in the music industry. How the hell does he manage to get away with it? Bands and fans need to stay well clear. There's a reason why no ticket agency will touch them any more.

Really don't understand why people continue to hand their cash over to ATP. 

I went to that ATP 'exhibition & sale' thing a couple of weekends ago. IT had the stinky wiff of a 'closing down' sale. 

Its kinda sad, though. I think taking over a holiday camp & having a load of indie bands play the weekend is a GREAT idea. And, apart from the John Cale thing (and some rumours of Rory Erikson not being paid...), it appeared on the twitters that the Stewart Lee weekend was blinding! I would have LOVED to do one at some point. But....i dunno. I guess you have to assume Mr Hogan is woefully optimistic and continues to try to do this, but maybe has no organisation skills to do so?!?

I can't believe he is a 'true' crook. Why would he keep trying to do this, if this is the case?

But.....yeah. I dont think i will EVER trust an ATP event to go ahead. Which is sad....

Just on my way home from the Stewart Lee weekend. Really sad to see the next one is cancelled and also about all the dramas at the one we were at. John Cale cancelling and Roky not being paid is appalling. It all felt very shambolic and disorganised too.

Having said that we had an awesome time. The Boredoms, The Raincoats, The Fall and Sun Ra were incredible and saw so much fun  and interesting stuff across the bill. Also the holiday camp aspect is a fun twist. Just such a shame that atp are so bad at it!

I'd definitely be wary of booking something with them again.