Going by coach staying in Worthy View

ourkid1984

I'm going to my first Glastonbury and very excited. We are hoping to stay at Worthy View but have got the coach package. We are arriving on the Thursday but have seen that the entrance for Worthy View is different to where the coach drops people off.

I'm wondering what the easiest way of getting to Worthy View is once we have been dropped off and as we are arriving on Thursday will we have pre designated accommodation or just what's left?

Thanks

Unless there is some specific reason I'd seriously advise against staying at Worthy View, especially for your first Glastonbury.  You owe it to yourself to give the main camping a go first, it's honestly so much better being in the main site.  

Unless there is some specific reason I'd seriously advise against staying at Worthy View, especially for your first Glastonbury. You owe it to yourself to give the main camping a go first, it's honestly so much better being in the main site.

2 reasons why we have chose to go and stay at Worthy View. Most importantly I'm going with my dad and we bother suffer with bad backs, walking and for the most part standing is fine but anymore than 3 days and my back starts to suffer. The 2nd reason is as we're arriving on the Thursday we are worried about getting a good camping spot as everyone we know who has been before has advised not to camp if arriving on the Thursday.

Oh and I suppose the 3rd reason is I'm also going with my girlfriend who since we stayed in a caravan at the brilliant Sziget festival refuses to do anything less than clamping and of course she's the boss ;)

In 2015, there was a coach shuttle service that ran from the Festival Coach Station to Worthy View - there's no guarantees that it'll run again this year, but I would think that it's fairly likely.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for any news on shuttle buses. Am I right in thinking its about a 30-40 minute walk from there to Worthy View if no shuttle bus is running?

2 reasons why we have chose to go and stay at Worthy View. Most importantly I'm going with my dad and we bother suffer with bad backs, walking and for the most part standing is fine but anymore than 3 days and my back starts to suffer. The 2nd reason is as we're arriving on the Thursday we are worried about getting a good camping spot as everyone we know who has been before has advised not to camp if arriving on the Thursday.

Oh and I suppose the 3rd reason is I'm also going with my girlfriend who since we stayed in a caravan at the brilliant Sziget festival refuses to do anything less than clamping and of course she's the boss ;)

In which case Worthy View might not be your best choice at all.  It's certainly not glamping by any stretch of the imagination, in most cases it's basically just a pre-pitched tent in a separate area away from the festival.  Comfort wise it is no better than just pitching a tent elsewhere - and given it's distance away from the festival it might well be worse if you are struggling in pain. There is a shower, but it's communal and not very pleasant to use.  That's about it.

There are a few options such as pod pads which *might* be a bit more comfortable but they look very small, are expensive and apparently sell out very quickly.

Also, on the Thursday point, I've arrived on Thursday morning before and found there is still plenty of decent space in the quieter camping areas so not really worth stressing about.

I'd imagine hiring something for the camper van fields would be the best way to go.

Edited by Eks101

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for any news on shuttle buses. Am I right in thinking its about a 30-40 minute walk from there to Worthy View if no shuttle bus is running?

Eks101 is correct about ' , I've arrived on Thursday morning before and found there is still plenty of decent space in the quieter camping areas so not really worth stressing about. '

Coach gets you close to Gate A and the first few campsites ' on your right ' will be quiet 

why are they quiet ?

well this is all down to a few years ago ' they used to be outside the wall and were in fact car parks ' so many people don't even think  about camping there 

they are called Darble - Pylon Ground - Rivermead. 

short walk from the coach station and a short walk back - sure its not the most popular place but you should find space.

Worthy View is fine enough but that very steep hill is a killer ' even if its dry ' 

the people I know who camp there - only leave it once a day as its a lot of effort to get back and they are fit 30 year olds

Thanks for all your advice. For this years festival I saw some accommodation that looked like sheds with bunk beds in them. They seemed like they would be ideal and they were about £600 for 3 people from what I recall. If we can't get something like that then we won't bother with Worthy View.

I was thinking about hiring a campervan but I can't seem to find any that are less than £600 and we also have already paid for coach travel. And as far as I know Glastonbury don't have onsite caravans that you can hire so as I see it there's only Worthy View or the tipis as alternative accommodation so maybe it might be worth looking at the tipis or trying to convince the other half to do standard camping.

Either way I won't let anything including my dodgy back ruin my 1st Glastonbury.

I camped in Spring Ground for many years (now disabled camping) then moved up to Hitchin Hill. Both are a significant walk from both the East and West Car Parks - in more recent years it was taking an hour or even longer. The camping areas just inside Gates A & D are much closer to the car parks and quieter, but they are a good walk from most of the stages (especially in mud). The good news however, is that the walks to the main stages are pretty flat.

Have stayed at WV for past 2 years and really like it. The main advantage is you don't have to lug a tent and your car is no more than a 5 to 10 minute walk away. However.....that hill down to the Pennard Gate entrance is very steep so not helpful for people who find walking a challenge. Also, the walk from the coach drop off at the B&W Showground is a lot more than 40 minutes, particularly carrying all your gear. Don't even consider it!! They do arrange a shuttle bus from the coach drop off, but not sure how reliable/easy it is (have seen some negative comments about it). If you do decide WV, go for a scout tent. They're cheaper and far more spacious than a PodPad - which look tiny and flimsy to me. You'd need a 4 man scout for 3 of you.

You could also check out Tangerine Fields? Heard good things about them. But, the entrance is again up a steep hill.

Edited by phillyfaddle

You'll find sometimes in here that people will try and steer you away from Worthy View and anything that isn't normal camping, try to ignore it and do what you want to do.

Having said that, if it's a question of comfort for your backs a pre-pitched caravan may work out a better option.

You'll find sometimes in here that people will try and steer you away from Worthy View and anything that isn't normal camping, try to ignore it and do what you want to do.

Having said that, if it's a question of comfort for your backs a pre-pitched caravan may work out a better option.

Good advice.  Ask a question on a forum and then dismiss all the responses which aren't from tweed1981.

:gamer:

Edited by Eks101

We camped in worthy view, the main advantages were being so near to the car and being able to stock up, charge phones etc and no queues on Monday on the way out. The disadvantages were the hill back up at night it is a killer and with a back problem you might struggle

For me and I stayed at WV a few years ago the only one advantage was the short walk to the car but that was balanced out by the walk to and from the festival,to get a coach and stay at WV would be throwing away money,I cant see any advantages apart from a pre erected tent and how long does it take to put up a tent.

If your backs bad I'd invest the money in a quality camp bed.

I think we have decided on going for any of the Worthy View accommodation that have already set up beds. If we can't get any of them then we will camp. Neither myself or my dad have issues camping its just my girlfriend that isn't too keen and obviously she's the boss.

I have to say the help and advice on here has been brilliant so thanks. I feel like I already have a good idea of where to camp if that is what we do.

If you change your mind about Worthy view and think that a caravan or camoer is what you want, you will have to remember that you can't purchase a campervan pass if you have a coach package ticket.

Last year we used the coach package and got our campervan delivered early and got a pass via my godson who had normal tickets - you cant do that this year.

I would say you are looking at the best part of 2 hours for a steady walk from Gate A to Worthy view. Goodluck and enjoy. I think you will get an amazing view of the festival if you come in from the Worthy view first