Wedding at Glastonbury 2016

GlastoWedding

Hi, I'm trying to organise getting married at Glastonbury next year. I know it's not legally binding, and I know it's not a service they offer, and they are being no help in me organising this, but I'm wondering if anybody here can help?

I guess what I'm looking for is if anybody knows of anybody that's part of the Greenfields group that is ordained and can perform the ceremony, or knows of a vicar that happens to be going that can do it, or even if I can be pointed in the direction of people that run the Greenfields that could help?!

I know this is a long shot, but it would be great if I can get this sorted! 

Thanks

Hi, there were some posts last year on a theme like this (sorry, not searched for them), and a handfasting was also held in the Green Fields, but I'm not sure you would get a minister of a Christian denomination carrying out a service, given that they normally carry out discussions and 'interviews' beforehand and it is underpinned by a religious aspect, as well as the festival not being a verified location for a legal wedding. Not sure about ministers or other religions though.

Good luck on getting more information, but if it doesn't work out in this way, go ahead and organise your own ceremony and finish it in a registry office or church afterwards?  There's a WI stall near the Greenpeace ship that do cakes.

Firstly - congratulations.

You can have an hand fasting at Glastonbury - I stumbled upon it this year and it must have been very odd for the couple to have a bunch of drunken strangers at their little ceremony - but they seemed to enjoy it and they where wearing wedding attrie. It looked nice..

Here are the details:

http://www.cloud9cer...y again in 2015

Glenda Proctor:
Tel: 01797 226100
Email: glendaproctortoastmaster@live.com
Web: www.glendaprocterladytoastmaster.com 

May be worth getting in touch and seeing the plans for 2016. Though I'm not sure if they will know if they have a spot for next year or not. But it is worth a go. 

Thanks for your response, the problem is going to be that for this to be our ideal wedding, it would have to be surprise for her, which i know will be an issue with them blooming Christians! So not worried about the religious aspect, more just the ceremony, so I guess just after somebody who has been ordained, there has to be some sense of it being official, otherwise it's like we're in the playground! Then we'll finalise it at a registry office... good idea with the WI cakes! 

This year there was a wonderful wedding at which Jolly Jock of Biggles Wartime Band re-married Janet.  It was conducted by band member Father Green and although they are a fun band and it was very tongue in cheek, it was also incredibly moving because of questions over Jock's health.

I'm not sure if Biggles will be back but you could try contacting them to ask.

If they could do it, it would be a wedding to remember.

I can't be certain but I don't think you will find something like that at Glastonbury (unless I am wrong, and I could well be!) - the best bet would be for you both to arrange the registry office aspect for after Glastonbury and you could then plan your own for Glastonbury - as a complete surprise. 

Thought I would do a quick Google for you: http://festivalbrides.co.uk/katie-and-stus-wedding-at-glastonbury-2013 

This year there was a wonderful wedding at which Jolly Jock of Biggles Wartime Band re-married Janet.  It was conducted by band member Father Green and although they are a fun band and it was very tongue in cheek, it was also incredibly moving because of questions over Jock's health.

I'm not sure if Biggles will be back but you could try contacting them to ask.

If they could do it, it would be a wedding to remember.

That sounds pretty special grumpyhack!

Thanks for your response, the problem is going to be that for this to be our ideal wedding, it would have to be surprise for her, which i know will be an issue with them blooming Christians! So not worried about the religious aspect, more just the ceremony, so I guess just after somebody who has been ordained, there has to be some sense of it being official, otherwise it's like we're in the playground! Then we'll finalise it at a registry office... good idea with the WI cakes!

I'm sure you can find someone who will do it seriously, or at least, in the manner that you want, so it avoids the playground feel. You could try messaging Sawdustysurfer, he may have an idea for the Green Fields.

Re the cakes, I think they're plain, but you can get icing in small tubes and write a message. Mine was "You're my wife now", but that was Porlock, not Pilton.

You could try contacting the Iona Community or the people who run Elemental Arts.  They are both Christian groups that have their own areas at Glastonbury.  I saw a couple having a handfasting this year, they had got married two days before Glasto then had another party there.

There is also a church at the top of Big Ground (known as Sanctuary). I stumbled in there last year by accident waiting for some friends to come back from the flushing toilets and I needed shelter from the sun. Nice tent with a view of the Pyramid. They may be able to help to!

Elemental Arts - https://theelementaltent.wordpress.com/

this year there was a photographer who wanted Glasto weddings to take pictures of because she wanted to arrange festival based weddings.

Anyway she took some great shots of two of my team getting engaged on the stage of the poetry & spoken word tent. Have a search on here and you may find her.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, so the wedding is all booked, and I can't wait to pop the question and make Glastonbury 2016 one to remember! However, I have one more question.... A friend of mine suggested reserving one of the lesser know areas that usually aren't open in the day time for the reception, or at least giving them a heads up to allow our wedding party inside. 

Does anybody know who runs either the Rabbit Hole or The Piano bar?! I know it's a lot to ask, but you can but try! 

12 hours ago, GlastoWedding said:

Hi guys, so the wedding is all booked, and I can't wait to pop the question and make Glastonbury 2016 one to remember! However, I have one more question.... A friend of mine suggested reserving one of the lesser know areas that usually aren't open in the day time for the reception, or at least giving them a heads up to allow our wedding party inside. 

Does anybody know who runs either the Rabbit Hole or The Piano bar?! I know it's a lot to ask, but you can but try! 

I think Ian the Worm off here is involved with The Rabbit Hole so it may be worth giving him a PM. That said, I think your chances of securing the place to yourselves is zero. I mean, you've got to find the fucking thing first. lol

On 11/14/2015, 4:36:32, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I think Ian the Worm off here is involved with The Rabbit Hole so it may be worth giving him a PM. That said, I think your chances of securing the place to yourselves is zero. I mean, you've got to find the fucking thing first. lol

When the hole is closed, its for a jolly good reason.

We do a very good line in honeymoon nights though!

• 3 months later...

this will be lovely, Got invited to a wedding many moons ago in Lost Vagueness, it was surreal. I don;t think the lovely stranger knew what they were doing when they randomly invited me and my mates to watch the wedding.

many hazy memories

twas fun

a few of our pics from last year

11667547_10152895764187073_4057037814502

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153204595783145&set=t.535400760&type=3&theater

the wedding broom was made by the ledgend and friend sawdusty surfer.the biggest broom they had ever seen lololol