T Minus and Counting 2016

whisty

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very nearly bought a similar machine not so very long ago. I went in to a show room that dealt in cheap electrical appliances because they had scratch marks on them or, in the case of my fridge freezer, a little bump on it. Anyway, there in the middle of all these modern appliances was something similar to the above. My wife kind of begged me to buy it as a present for her brother who has always wanted one. The problem was that money was a bit tight so even though it was going for a song I decided against it. On reflection I probably should have listened to my wife.

32 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

On reflection I probably should have listened to my wife.

Yep have to agree, that and should have maneuvered that little train out of your brothers possession and hid it away for a few years :)

Just now, whisty said:

Yep have to agree, that and should have maneuvered that little train out of your brothers possession and hid it away for a few years :)

I remember being amazed that it actually worked (with meythalated spirits put in the burner). He even had things that could run off it using a looped bit of steel (a bit like a guitar string). If memory serves me right they were made by Mamod. Happy days. :)

26 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I remember being amazed that it actually worked (with meythalated spirits put in the burner). He even had things that could run off it using a looped bit of steel (a bit like a guitar string). If memory serves me right they were made by Mamod. Happy days. :)

I also had one of these as a lad. I also had a miniature chitty chitty bang bang where you pulled the gear lever and the wings popped out. I left home for work, returning a few months later to discover my kid brother had sold the lot; b'stard. Along with all my vinyl as well; utter b'stard. Even today he doesn't get it, just laughs it off; mentally scarred I am.

21 minutes ago, oneeye said:

I also had one of these as a lad. I also had a miniature chitty chitty bang bang where you pulled the gear lever and the wings popped out. I left home for work, returning a few months later to discover my kid brother had sold the lot; b'stard. Along with all my vinyl as well; utter b'stard. Even today he doesn't get it, just laughs it off; mentally scarred I am.

Wow, you had a chitty chitty bang bang. I feel your loss.

I didn't like them at the time. My cousins had one and I didn't even want to get one myself. I don't know why but I found myself drawn to the racing car type thingy. If you remember John Player had a lovely black and gold grand prix car. I wanted one that much that I stole one from the gift shop at Twyfords Zoo. To this day I can't comprehend why I liked it that much I decided to steal it - especially as I recall having enough money to have actually purchased it. It was a simple case of I just didn't want to give them my money maybe. Maybe it's because I fucking hate zoo's.

What's amazing to me is that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was loosely based on a novel by Ian Fleming (as in James Bond) and turned into a film script by Roald Dahl.  It was also produced by Albert Broccoli, who produced the Bond films. A far cry from 007.