Glastonbury with 10 year old Son

Hacky

I'm considering taking my 10 year old son. Quite laddish and is more 10 yr old going on 13 so is not into really kiddy orientated activities but is too young for the grown up stuff. Took him to a mini festival last year and he loved it. What's to do for a lad that age? Where's best to camp etc?

We take 3 around that age every year. Kids stuff in the morning, bands afternoon and evening keeps everyone happy!

We've kind of gravitated towards the Green Kids field now they have got older, more to do for older ones. Sock Wrestling is always a big hit! Kids Field is great for littler ones.

We used to camp out of the way in Rivermead but now camp in Cockmills family camping, beware though it fills up fast, we got some of the last space at 10am on the Wednesday.

Camp in Wicket Ground Family Camping (near Gate A/West Car Parks), loads of space. Nice vibe, quiet. Older kids around too. You son will make loads of friends. Green Fields area has loads of workshops/activities for him to get involved in and try The Park too - you could forge your own souvenir key ring out of recycled alumnium last year, for a small donation. Plus there's loads of smaller venues around with fun acts. Have fun xx

OK long answer

Been going to glasto since early 90's and my daughter has been to every one of her lifetime ( she's 14 in 2 months time, first one 8 months old) can't recommend it enough, Kids field is excellent and not just for small kids. zip wires, learning circus skills etc face painting, a big top with kids entertainment most of the day, making stuff everything is free.

Also there is the Greenpeace field with usually a giant pirate ship to climb on and a small library/book shop right at the back of that field. depends on how bookish your son is.

Assuming you are pretty liberal, a kid could have a fantastic festival in the circus/cabaret field. The seriously dangerous circus acts are really amazing we are talking juggling with lit fire torches and chainsaws ( yes really - no trickery lose your arm stuff !!) later on it can be risque but kind of educational. the outdoor comedy and the street theatre in those fields is really great.

Before we got the van we camped in family camping in Cockmill meadow which does get full quick but if he is robust camp anywhere other than the big ground etc where they stay up and shout "bollocks" all night ( maybe they dont do that now it's about 15 years since we camped there !)

Mix it up, kids stuff in the day adult stuff in evening ( extreme circus stuff tends to be in evening and it's under cover in the big circus top so good but busy if it rains, very chilled, quite a lot of kids all encouraged to sit up front so they see it all )

If he can stay awake then do arcadia too. there used to be a traditional thursday night outdoor film but that moves about in location and timing now but always includes some kinds stuff. ( it's now in a  marquee so can get busy ( get there early with camping chairs and nurse your hangover ! same goes for kinds field)

Short answer, yes take him even if your school cuts up rough and charges you under the new no authorised absence rules. :biggrin:

Thanks for all that, would say I was quite liberal and don't really protect him from anything. What's it like walking round on a night? Are many kids up and about in the early hours? Where's best to take him\ avoid as it gets late?

Depends on what your views are - night time in either Silver hayes & SE corner with a youngster could be a little too much....They'll be safe enough and so long as you have a set point to meet if you get seperated not much can go wrong, there's plenty to see/do and everyone's pretty friendly. Last year we saw a few 10/11 year olds outside the tent enjoying fat boy slim and they were having a great time - gave one some glow-sticks which seemed to make his night....

However you may need to have the "drugs" conversation with them first as there will be many spangled folk stumbling around. Just depends on how robust they are as its quite easy to get frazzled with so much to do/see even at my age.....

You MUST take him to see Arcadia. Not just when it has DJs and it's pumping out the fire (which is all impressive enough) but for an actual Metamorphosis performance with the 'story' and all the effects. Last year it was on at 11:00pm each night.

I can't think of anywhere that a ten year old shouldn't experience at Glastonbury. Apart from places getting very crowded at certain times, it's all very safe. Like 'tigertoo', our youngest daughter, who is 23 now, has been to every one since she was 18 months. I don't think she can conceive of not going! One of her first visits, was exceptionally muddy... she didn't care at all. At one point, we went on the move from one place to another, and she said "what kingdom are we going to now?". Disneyland and the best theme parks in the world have nothing on Glastonbury!.

As for being up late at night... that's up to you and your son. There are kids up late, some babies even. Depends how winey he gets when he's tired ;)

Brilliant that!

The favourite bit of advice I've heard for folk bringing kids - especially the more adventurous - is to find some permanent marker they can't rub off and clearly scrawl your mobile number on their arm in big numbers.

It's a very friendly and good natured place and I seriously doubt you could find a single person in the place who'd refuse calling you if they got split up and asked. 

It's all very safe really - just avoid dense crowds leaving or approaching the Pyramid from either side at the bottom, and definitely the bridges into SIlver Hayes from John Peel and Other - both can turn into tight crushes at points so just keep an eye, easy to pass when acts are playing already though. Often see folk piggy-backing smaller kids through proper dense crowds, if people can see them they'll be sensible.

The drugs/etc - the 'obvious' people are a far better advert for not doing drugs than anything the government do, not sure it's worth any worry.

Otherwise just good on you - had tears in my eyes countless times seeing young'uns having the time of their lives and thinking of how many festivals I've missed out on

My kids are a tad younger (5, 3 & 3), but there is nothing at Glastonbury that they should avoid. 

As others have said, the Kidz Field is great for all ages, and I actually think it improves as they get a bit older. The music workshops look fab and I'm looking forward to mine being old enough to experience them.

loads on in the Green Futures fields that, while not specifically directed at kids, are more than available to them. Willow weaving, stone carving, ukelele workshops etc.

The Kings Meadow is always a draw for us. First place we headed to after setting up camp pre-kids. We don't take them into the middle of the circle, but the field itself is fine. Take him up there for the Opening Ceremony for definite.

I haven't made it to the SE corner with the kids. The queuing system puts me off to be honest, as by that time of night my kids are asleep in the buggy or strapped to my back. It's bad enough trying to navigate our way back to camp if we get caught up in the one way system.

Silver Hayes is fine at any time. It can get busy but if you're just outside the tents you still get the atmosphere with some space around you. That's what we're limited to anyway for a good few years yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with all of this, took my 8yr old son in 2013. He loved kidzfield - zipwire, music etc. Also greenfields, SE corner by day! (Especially block 9/unfair-ground) Also circus/Caberet/glebeland. Favourite was probably Arcadia and the Park Tower. Luckily it was the year of the car crashing hand!

You MUST take him to see Arcadia. Not just when it has DJs and it's pumping out the fire (which is all impressive enough) but for an actual Metamorphosis performance with the 'story' and all the effects. Last year it was on at 11:00pm each night.

I can't think of anywhere that a ten year old shouldn't experience at Glastonbury. Apart from places getting very crowded at certain times, it's all very safe. Like 'tigertoo', our youngest daughter, who is 23 now, has been to every one since she was 18 months. I don't think she can conceive of not going! One of her first visits, was exceptionally muddy... she didn't care at all. At one point, we went on the move from one place to another, and she said "what kingdom are we going to now?". Disneyland and the best theme parks in the world have nothing on Glastonbury!.

As for being up late at night... that's up to you and your son. There are kids up late, some babies even. Depends how winey he gets when he's tired ;)

totally agree, there is nothing there out of bounds really.. My kids are 14 and 11 year old twins now..they have all been going since they were tiny. He will adore Arcadia, we usually go more than once! It is a boy's dream! 

Last year their favourite sets were Leftfield and the Chemical Brothers - we tend to just stay slightly to the side on the main stages, but can get quite near the front. I've never felt crushed and there are always keen shoulders for kids around! . Lots of people off their heads for sure, but I have never once had any trouble at Glastonbury. Everyone is respectful of kids, and it has always been an incredibly positive experience. It will blow his mind in the best possible way. 

• 4 months later...
On 5 October 2015 at 10:09 PM, Hacky said:

I'm considering taking my 10 year old son. Quite laddish and is more 10 yr old going on 13 so is not into really kiddy orientated activities but is too young for the grown up stuff. Took him to a mini festival last year and he loved it. What's to do for a lad that age? Where's best to camp etc?

Let him take you, we took our 3 daughters (not girly) aged 7 to 12 and camped at Hitching Hill 10 years ago which had then and still has a very friendly atmosphere. Ask anyone you know who's been and look at their smile the moment you mention Glasto to them , now the girls go on there own & they still camp there. Don't plan to many things and just explore together, interact with people and above all enjoy yourselves

Edited by babyonastick1