A few questions from a Glasto first timer

Glastogib

Hi everyone,

Finally managed to secure tickets after a failed attempts in the past and absolutely buzzing about it.

A few questions I'm sure some of your more seasons Glasto-goers will be able to clear up.

I'll be taking a campervan all being well with getting tickets when they are released later this month. Think of arriving as early as possible to make the most of every second of the festival. I think you can get in from Tuesday lunchtime, but my question is, besides meet your neighbours is there anything that goes on, on the Tuesday night?

Also, are campfires not allowed in the campervan fields. Sure I read somewhere they aren't. That would be a bit of a shame.

Finally my last one. Well be travelling down on the Monday and staying in Shepton Mallet so as to be within striking distance. Would anyone recommend anything to do or places on that night?

Cheers.

officially van fields opened at 12 noon on Tuesday last year but in fact to alleviate the traffic situation they let vans in earlier.

most people are busy setting up their space with awnings and stuff on Tuesday and saying hello to neighbours. Quite a lot of van folk turn up in groups and weather permitting there are bbq's etc going on outside folk's setups. fires are not allowed on the ground but bbq's are.

Portable BBQ's are OK - just be sensible and make sure it's not going to kill you and always have a fire extinguisher just in case.

We went down the weekend before and stopped near Stonehenge so we could do summer solstice, then drove to Glasto as soon as we'd had breakfast, shower etc. at the campsite on Tuesday, got there at 11:00 and was straight into E21 and got some hedge (which is always nice).

Apologies, jumping in on your beginners thread.

Alcohol wise, I was thinking of bringing a 20L box of cider. Anyone know if it will be ok? Or go off due to not being kept in nicer conditions.

If not, I'll just bring a long a generic crate.

Apologies, jumping in on your beginners thread.

Alcohol wise, I was thinking of bringing a 20L box of cider. Anyone know if it will be ok? Or go off due to not being kept in nicer conditions.

If not, I'll just bring a long a generic crate.

And what are you going to drink on Thursday? ;-)

Will be fine - but youll need some decantic bottles to carry it about it!

And what are you going to drink on Thursday? ;-)

Will be fine - but youll need some decantic bottles to carry it about it!

Good point, didn't think about that.

I'm going to behave on the first few nights, always seem to find I get over excited on the first day of a fest and drink too much.

By hedge I mean hedgerow - it's much nicer to be at the edges of the field as if there are a couple of you together you can make a little corral like we did this year by parking my T2 sideways between our friends two big campervans. it meant we had a nice square to sit in privacy when we needed to chill. Plus it makes it a lot easier to find the campervan late at night when you're wobbly. As for 20L containers that's 20Kg to carry Personally I'd get 5L containers if you're planning to carry it into the festival from the CV fields. I filled a 1L camelback with Vodka and took a 10-pack of coke in each day - much lighter, same effect!

Just remember the "NO GLASS" rule also applies for campervans and if the steward takes the arse they will take it off you (which pissed the people off in front of us that had two bottles of wine confiscated).

The best things about going in a campervan are:-

1) A dry bed & clean clothes regardless of the weather

2) Being able to take as much alcohol as you can fit in it, you can then take as much as you can carry into Glasto and if you run out pop back for more.

3) Three-way fridge = Cold beer

4) Cup of tea in the morning before you get dressed

5) Your own toilet (admittedly in the T2 it's a porta-poti) after a couple of days at the festival this will be bliss, the stories about the long-drops being horrid are true...

One of my favorite things is getting there on Tuesday, watching people arrive, its the build-up of something special, everyone is happy to be there. Later walking to E21 and "the hill of death" above pedestrian gate C then just sitting looking over the site, having a few beers as the sun goes down on the Tuesday night - knowing that tomorrow the madness begins.

I remember doing this for my first Glastonbury and the memory will stay with me forever :-) .

Thanks for clarifying Penrhos.

In one way I'd like to take our campervan to Glastonbury for the comfort and convenience, but it would mean not being camped next to all our mates and missing all the craic around the campsite. I just don't think I'm at the stage where I'd want to miss that later fun part. In fact, it's one of the main reasons that I go to Glastonbury. That said, I think it's time that I pulled my finger out and left camp a lot more to go and see / hear much more music than I do normally.

You could always take a tent too. Chuck it in the back of the CV drive down on Tuesday - that way you will be able to get down to gate C with just the tent (so you can travel quickly) first thing Wednesday to get a good pitch near the Pyramid for the tent, you can keep all the beer, clothes & valuables in the CV but stay in a tent with your mates inside the fence. On Sunday you can pack up - stick it in the CV and when your done Sunday night go back to the CV and either leave in the early hours - like we do (to miss the queue on Monday) or have a decent night's sleep before driving home Monday. Theses also the advantage that if its a wet one you can bail to the CV.

That way you get the best of both worlds - Simples.

You could always take a tent too. Chuck it in the back of the CV drive down on Tuesday - that way you will be able to get down to gate C with just the tent (so you can travel quickly) first thing Wednesday to get a good pitch near the Pyramid for the tent, you can keep all the beer, clothes & valuables in the CV but stay in a tent with your mates inside the fence. On Sunday you can pack up - stick it in the CV and when your done Sunday night go back to the CV and either leave in the early hours - like we do (to miss the queue on Monday) or have a decent night's sleep before driving home Monday. Theses also the advantage that if its a wet one you can bail to the CV.

That way you get the best of both worlds - Simples.

Now that's not a bad idea at all. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to have to mull that one over. The idea of getting in on Tuesday and relaxing straight away really appeals. I was lucky last year as someone working inside the festival was able to put my tent up for me on the Tuesday night. They'll be able to do the same this year too. This has all the makings of a plan. Cheers Penrhos. :)