Why do women wear wellies at Glastonbury when it's bone dry?

hurst

Because it can change from dry and sunny to apocalypse in minutes. As anyone who was there in 2005 would know! Even in 2014 - people were caught in the mahoosive thunderstorm on Friday afternoon. So glad I was wearing my wellies when I - eventually - emerged from sitting it out in the Bimble Inn....

I paid over £50 for a pair of muckboot wellies. But then I do have foot issues and they are amazingly comfy. Plus I tramp about in them at the allotment all year. I'd rather not wear them all week though, I guess it's a fashion thing? The old kate Moss look (wellies/shorts etc)

Had them since 2008 and still got years in them. :)

I do always feel sad at the sight of the welly pile next to bins at Glasto. 

This is the thing that worries me most about being a glasto newbie... Are the regulars really that bothered and judgemental about what people wear? I was going to treat myself to a new pair of wellies with a 'particular brand name' since they're trusted and might actually last the week. God help me if I wear them if it's dry now, I must only care about being fashionable :O

Nope - just some of the people on this forum.

You'll be fine :)

This is the thing that worries me most about being a glasto newbie... Are the regulars really that bothered and judgemental about what people wear? I was going to treat myself to a new pair of wellies with a 'particular brand name' since they're trusted and might actually last the week. God help me if I wear them if it's dry now, I must only care about being fashionable :O

You are right to buy a decent pair in my opinion. Glasto can be hard work and bad footwear can ruin it for you. I had rubbish boots my first year and the blisters were horrific.

Because they stop the sheep running away....

If you want to travel light just take a pair of wellies - no-one will care if you have them on and its dry, but you'll suffer and look a tw*t if it's a quagmire and you only have a pair of nikes.

It doesn't matter how much they cost, get a pair that fit well, get some insoles and decent wellie-socks.

besides hot women still look hot with wellies on..

Indeed, people just keep them on in case of a change in the weather, saves them tromping back to the tent in unsuitable footwear just to change.  I went out in cons on the Friday morning this year, by 9pm it was like ice skating in some parts of the site for me and I wasted a big chunk of time slipping and sliding my way back across the site to change into boots.

We ought to be worrying about our own behaviour before we start being concerned about that of others.

I suspect it's more of a fashion stance than a practicality choice. No harm there though if that's your thing. We all have to wear something (apart from Sime!) so why not wear wellies on your feet? If you do opt for cheaper ones though I would recommend insoles and two pairs of socks (one thin pair on first and the a thicker pair) as it will be much more comfortable.

I really don't mind what people wear, but only taking wellies is as impractical as not taking them. I refuse to believe this is as a 'packing light' choice. How much do a pair of converse weigh? How much room do they really take up?

I hate to find myself still in my wellies when the sun comes out. My feet are hot and uncomfortable, so I wear wellies as little as possible and only when completely necessary. Being stuck in wellies for the whole of a bone dry and sunny Glastonbury would be as big a nightmare for me as being in a mud bath without them (as I was in 1997 - To be fair I am more of a walking boots fan anyway, but in 1997, the boots I was wearing weren't walking boots).

Girls with the legs for it may well look great in wellies, but after 5 days, the tan that only reaches from the top of the legs to just below the knee really isn't such a great look! Take wellies by all means, wear them if the weather is so/so - but just throw a pair of pumps in your packing too because if it is warm you will really want them!

....and the mosh pit as a reason? Sorry again - no-one wears wellies to their local venues for one off gigs, so how does it become essential at Glastonbury?

• 3 weeks later...

"some" women and also some "men"

Fixed that for you.

The irritation for me comes from the idea that a certain brand is "trusted and will last the week" when they're pretty much the new kid on the block compared to cheaper better alternatives that have been around, and have lasted, for donkey's years but didn't spend a shitload of marketing dosh, dosh which you pay for when you buy wellies that are no better or generally worse.

The ire isn't really against people but marketing and all the standard sales bullshit, Glasto's a joy for being free of a bunch of that and it's odd to see it intrude. They flogged lorryloads of those wellies at a fraction of retail price in motorway service stations on the way to glastonbury to ensure they were seen everywhere, that's not cheap. They're just a gimmick. We've all been suckered at some point, and when it's your 'festival' trolley that's collapsed and you're watching 24 cans of carling roll down the hill out of a sodden cardboard crate you gotta learn to laugh at it all somehow and it only does you good. For festival trolley read festival clothing, and all the tales of horrifically blistered and ruined feet etc then you too can grumble at it - but understand it's not really personal

• 2 weeks later...

I have Hunters. I paid less than £60 for them, admittedly in the sale, but I have had them since 2010. They do 3 - 5 festivals a year plus dog walking on the muddy field through winter. They are as good as new and really comfortable. I do not find converse at all supportive and comfortable for an entire day of hiking around a festival and I have previously had plenty of cheap wellies that are just not comfy, make my feet hurt and I dread putting them on. I never complain about achey feet when I have my wellies on and for that reason alone they were worth every penny I spent on them.

That being said, I don't wear them when it is dry and sunny and not required but I think it is more ridiculous to see people in trainers, hiking boots, half wellies etc when it's knee deep mud!!!

That's my two pence worth right there :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Wellies, tights, little shorts, t shirt, waterproof jacket (tied around middle if not needed). 

That's my festival uniform! It all dries quickly if you get wet, it's cool enough (as in temperature) to be ok for hot days, you can take the tights off and pop them in your bag and stick them on when you get chilly, pop a wooolie hat in your coat pocket too and Bingo, you're sorted, comfy, and don't have to worry about stepping around puddles of rain or wee or whatever. 

If the sight is dry enough, then I'll wear trainers but it has to be REALLY dry so you don't need to watch where you're walking!