Alternatives

polgara

I'm thinking alternatives now... Green Man, End of Road and Latitude are frontrunners so would like opinions on those. I know you won't be able to carry your own booze around though.

Not been to Green Man myself (though do want to at some point) but according to mates who've gone, taking your own booze into the arena bit isn't that difficult. They're apparently pretty lax with enforcing the rule.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love End of the road, and would recommend it, but it's not really the same sort of thing. It's got the real ale you mention, but it's still sort of an arena (albeit a laid back one), but not the caberet/circus stuff really.

there's nothing that's the same sort of thing.

Nearest is probably Boomtown, but it's less than half the festival that Glastonbury is. It's the one most close to the 'glastonbury vibe' tho I'd say.

As for the rest, they're just a small part of what Glastonbury is. So you have to decide which small p[art of Glastonbury you like most, and find the fest that gets closest to that part.

there's nothing that's the same sort of thing.

Nearest is probably Boomtown, but it's less than half the festival that Glastonbury is. It's the one most close to the 'glastonbury vibe' tho I'd say.

As for the rest, they're just a small part of what Glastonbury is. So you have to decide which small p[art of Glastonbury you like most, and find the fest that gets closest to that part.

Yeah, I reckon though, if I were 18, I'd kick Glastonbury over in favour of Boomtown.

Yeah, I reckon though, if I were 18, I'd kick Glastonbury over in favour of Boomtown.

If I were 18 I'd go wherever the chances of doing some shagging were highest...and I reckon that's still glastonbury. It's a numbers game!

Though christ knows how I'd have afforded £228 for a ticket!

Edited by russycarps

I loved Bestival this year, didn't go hunting for ale though as I only had £15 spending money, plenty of Sake based cocktails though. Younger crowd than Glastonbury, beautiful place to explore & more little bits & bobs every year to randomly do other than music.

Glastonbury it is not.

I'd like to try Latitude to see if its as pretty as people say & comedy, Bearded Theory as its cheap & looks laid back, Sziget to do Euro fest without being too worried about the line up & Boomtown but Russy says I'm too old. Of course there's work & money & want to go travelling.

Edited by Couchy

I loved Bestival this year, didn't go hunting for ale though.

I dunno if it's the same - I've not been for a while - but the ale only used to be in just one tent, away from everything else, and utterly pointless unless you wqanted to stand at that remote bar and drink.

Plus the prices were taking the piss, big time. And the bar company they use(d?) are the most dreadful in the festie industry (but hey, probably run by a mate of Robs so it's all good, right? :P).

Edited by eFestivals

Not been to Green Man myself (though do want to at some point) but according to mates who've gone, taking your own booze into the arena bit isn't that difficult. They're apparently pretty lax with enforcing the rule.

Yup, smuggling booze into the Green Man arena is mighty easy indeed. When I went a couple of years ago they had very wide access roads in with just one person on the side looking for wristbands.

The also have a beer festival on site, so you'll be covered for ale!

Of those mentioned, I've done Latitude and Bearded Theory.

Like Russy I found Latitude a bit too nice. Really enjoyed it though, particularly the comedy. Very pleasant setting but pricey and difficult to smuggle drink in, the younger attendees where practicly being frisked on their way in each day.

Bearded Theory is brilliant and I hope to go back again next year. Take your own drink anywhere but a very well stocked bar if you'd prefer that sort of thing. It is like the Avalon section of Glastonbury but bigger and with an added dance tent (if you like that sort of thing. The recently added woodland stage is a thing of beauty. No corparate pressense and very well run by a team who learn from any minor mistakes and improve it year on year.

Edited by Gnomicide

Shambala is the one for a bit of circus/theatre and no arena. If Green Man had more theatre instead of a spoken word tent that would actually do us nicely. Still going back there next year though. Agree with Russy that other festivals feel very sedate.

Shambala doesnt though, in fact we stopped going as our family festival because of the ket kids.

And primavera I only hear good things about. I'm going to take my time and look at some line ups which is lovely to have the freedom to do.

Can't recommend it highly enough, especially if you make a holiday out of your trip too. Their line-ups are always insane, the weather is good, the site itself has a beautiful backdrop and it's very easy to get between the stages.

We'll all give you a hand in the resale mind, but I understand that's not in your immediate thinking right now.

Edited by TomViolence

I dunno if it's the same - I've not been for a while - but the ale only used to be in just one tent, away from everything else, and utterly pointless unless you wqanted to stand at that remote bar and drink.

Plus the prices were taking the piss, big time. And the bar company they use(d?) are the most dreadful in the festie industry (but hey, probably run by a mate of Robs so it's all good, right? :P).

Good tip for Bestival - if they don't give you a receipt with your drinks then you're allowed either your money back or the same round again for free. The bar staff aren't generally up to much either, so we had a fair few free ones this year!

I'm thinking alternatives now... Green Man, End of Road and Latitude are frontrunners so would like opinions on those. I know you won't be able to carry your own booze around though.

Otherwise I'm already going to ATP in April. And hopefully Supernormal again as I loved it this year. It's tiny and the music is very non mainstream but you can carry your own booze about and the atmosphere is ace.

Hi ZMG, and sorry for your disappointment yesterday :(

Green Man, EOTR and Latitude have been my pre-GF festival history, visiting each a number of times over the past decade.

They're all great, and I've never had a bad time at any of them. 

Green Man has the best vibe, I'd say, and a 24h licence. Line-up is usually amazing. EOTR has the weakest after dark profile, but setting and line-up are great. Quite beardy, in a good way - it's altogether more gentle.

Latitude can be a post-GCSE/A Level celebration. The yellow camping area (closest to the festival) is probably a bit Oxlyers/Pennards! Latitude has the most 'to do', with a really quite remarkable arts programme - the match of GF, in many ways. Musically it is more mainstream than GM or EOTR, which are more folkie/alternative.

I would choose GM and Lat over EOTR now. If the weather is good, Green Man is indescribably beautiful...

Ben

Hi ZMG, and sorry for your disappointment yesterday :(

Green Man, EOTR and Latitude have been my pre-GF festival history, visiting each a number of times over the past decade.

They're all great, and I've never had a bad time at any of them.

Green Man has the best vibe, I'd say, and a 24h licence. Line-up is usually amazing. EOTR has the weakest after dark profile, but setting and line-up are great. Quite beardy, in a good way - it's altogether more gentle.

Latitude can be a post-GCSE/A Level celebration. The yellow camping area (closest to the festival) is probably a bit Oxlyers/Pennards! Latitude has the most 'to do', with a really quite remarkable arts programme - the match of GF, in many ways. Musically it is more mainstream than GM or EOTR, which are more folkie/alternative.

I would choose GM and Lat over EOTR now. If the weather is good, Green Man is indescribably beautiful...

Ben

Thanks Ben that's really helpful :)

I'm tempted towards green man. Really wanted to go last year but couldn't justify it when so much of the lineup crossed over with Glastonbury. It looks lovely and I like that there's comedy and it's slap bang in the middle of summer. Smuggling in booze is a plus!

Glad you got lucky and hope you enjoy your second time just as much!

Shambala doesnt though, in fact we stopped going as our family festival because of the ket kids.

Oh really. That's such a shame as we were going to try shambala as our family festival next year. Did Latitude this summer which was great, stellar line up and all that, just felt it lacked something. We'll see.

Last fallow year I tried to cover of the bits I like by going to Bestival (worked it) & Womad. I've been back to Womad a couple of al times as a punter and worked but won't be going back to Bestival, it was ok but not reallly for me. . But just to say I do love West Holts and am getting on a bit :)

Edited by whisty

Yeah, my son basically discovered live music this year at Green Man. It was actually one of those rare moments when you think you've actually managed some successful parenting.

He was on the barrier for SFA. Something that would have been too difficult and risky at a bigger festival and something he wouldnt have wanted to do for any of the bands at Shambala.

Even though it was absolutely pissing down for most of the weekend, he was, as some would say here, tops awf for the whole time.

Last fallow year I tried to cover of the bits I like by going to Bestival (worked it) & Womad. I've been back to Womad a couple of al times as a punter and worked but won't be going back to Bestival, it was ok but not reallly for me. . But just to say I do love West Holts and am getting on a bit :)

Womad used to get a lot on mentions as like Glastonbury.

It's less like it today - tho so is Glastonbury - but its still a lovely festival. But again, like boomtown, its not really one for the pop kids.