On a different note...Euro Football at G16!

Cooter

I thought it was on a Wednesday in 2010? Bloody hot, that's what I remember, oh and England being shite again (saw Ray and Slash Sat pm)

Each to their own, but personally I'll be doing cocktails somewhere talking random bollocks to random strangers :)

I was thinking of 2004, that was good. 2010 footie was dull. Not because of the day though. Wednesday, Thursday, potato potahto.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it should be on when there's no music on... And there should also be somewhere that people can choose to watch the game, and even let the bars show highlights after the headliners finish

For purely selfish reasons, I hope that doesn't happen. I just don't like football and Glastonbury it's somewhere I get away from it. But besides, it's just too much of the real world, like checking your email on holiday.

Football can do one.

Anyone who also watched the abomination against the Germans whilst at the festival last time will feel the same in sure.

Yep. I'm a huge football fan, and england fan, and have absolutely no interested in watching even a minute of it next year when I'm at Glastonbury.

Going to watch that game in 2010 was easily the worst "clash" decision I've ever made, and not something I'd want to repeat. 2004 wasn't much better either. I'll get someone to text me the full time score, that's about as much as I want to know next time round.

Wednesday/Thursday it would be good, I still remember England-Portugal in 2004, though we lost it was still a pretty cool atmosphere - we even got shown on the BBC at half time as the crowd watching it at Glasto was likely bigger than the one in the stadium. 

However not during the actual festival itself. The way I see it, it will likely be a second round game (provided England make it that far). If England lose - I will be pleased I didn't see it anyway. If England win - great, will be able to watch the QF once the festival is done! 

Another complicating factor could be if Wales/Northern Ireland are on the TV during that time too...

Edited by arcade fireman

On Wednesday and Thursday, I can't see any reason not to show games on the pyramid screens. Anyone who wants to watch can get together and enjoy. Anyone who doesn't can have a bit more space to wander round other areas.

Once the main stages get going, though, I can't see the point. You're at glastonbury after all!

I really enjoyed watching The Netherlands - Mexico at Glasto 2014, great atmosphere at the William's Green bar!

Would definitely watch again if it weren't for the fact that the Dutch seem to have no clue what they're doing since the WC ended... better leave my orange stuff at home next year.

would watch it, even on music days depending on clashes (assuming they put it on elsewhere and don't cancel main stage performances)

there's all sorts of theatre/circus/craft stuff that i've no interest in whatsoever and just stay away from.

people can do the same for football if they don't want to watch it. i'm pretty sure many will want to though.

Edited by ghostdancer1

I'm a massive football fan. I'm a season ticket holder at the club I support, go to 90% of away matches and I'll also be at the euro 2016 semi finals the week after Glastonbury.

Though I definitely don't want to watch any football at Glastonbury. Glastonbury is my period of escapism and enjoying my other passions.

I can't understand why anyone would want to run their Glastonbury experience by watching football on a big screen.

If you care about it that much, then you don't deserve to be at Glastonbury in my opinion. Sorry if that sounded harsh.

I don't mind taking a couple of hours off music and lying on the grass watching football but I also don't mind missing it. Basically if I'm passing I might stop and watch, no harm in having the option especially if it's in an additional field

No, they had dedicated fields in 2010 for the World Cup, those fields are now camping. Euro 2012 was a fallow year, but the 2014 World Cup wasn't shown at all - there was a chance it would clash with an England game (but didn't in the end) and they made no arrangements for that eventuality, just a flat "we're not showing it".

Catching some of the World Cup on the screen at the William's Green bar was great fun in 2014.

Can't recall the exact games, but the Dutch were out in force for one.

Yeah, that was the game against Mexico. Nothing short of epic, imo.

Edited by Robinn

Can't believe the amount of people commenting "if you want to watch the football you don't deserve to be at Glastonbury!"

Get your heads outta your arses.  I'm all for sticking it on somewhere and letting people choose if they want to watch it or avoid it.

Can't believe the amount of people commenting "if you want to watch the football you don't deserve to be at Glastonbury!"

Get your heads outta your arses.  I'm all for sticking it on somewhere and letting people choose if they want to watch it or avoid it.

There'll be plenty of pubs in bristol showing it.