On a different note...Euro Football at G16!

Cooter

4 hours ago, amfy said:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/26/football-arrests-home-office-figures?CMP=share_btn_fb

interesting arrest figures comparing the 'peace & love' of Glastonbury with football.

Slightly less drugs at football though.

Plus the mere presence of police/how football fans are treated by them I imagine contributes to do alot doing it out of sight/being "good".

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a personal point of view I wouldn't want the football screened at Glastonbury just because I know i'd end up watching it, would blatantly have gone and watched England v Germany if I was at Glastonbury 2010, possibly missing out on some great acts.  

7 hours ago, amfy said:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/26/football-arrests-home-office-figures?CMP=share_btn_fb

interesting arrest figures comparing the 'peace & love' of Glastonbury with football.

Football fans are definitely vilified often unfairly, particuarly by the media, and particuarly English fans, despite the majority behaving pretty well.  

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

You're right, this is definate proof that the majority of football fans are hooligans.

Especially like your last example, 13 out of 25000 fans at the Forest-Derby game.A clear majority.

36 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

You're right, this is definate proof that the majority of football fans are hooligans.

Especially like your last example, 13 out of 25000 fans at the Forest-Derby game.A clear majority.

defending the indefensible, the football fans way.

Why cant you people ever just condemn this behaviour?

For someone up there to imply the glastonbury crowd is more troublesome than a football crowd is repugnant.

I stopped going to the football when I was priced out of the market. I decided that £700 for a season ticket could not be justified, instead I reduced my budget to £200 and bought a Glastonbury ticket instead. Best decision I have ever made, just sorry I didn't do it sooner.

Anyway, Tom has a point about the police attitude to football fans, compare that to the 'lets pretend to be part of the scene', flowers on their helmets (!), nicey nicey attitude of the police at Glastonbury, if they came with the same attitude as they have at football games, there would be a lot more arrests. However, it cannot be denied that there are a sizeable amount of football fans who go looking for trouble, racist, sexist attitude proudly on show. But in the final 10 years or so of my attending matches, I probably saw as much in the way of violence as I have at gigs in the same period of time i.e. very, very little.

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

if they came with the same attitude as they have at football games, there would be a lot more arrests.

more arrests for what? 

Anyway, it's not just extreme violence that football fans seem to adore. When I see this sort of thing at glastonbury I'll agree that glastonbury has a problem as big as football:

Homophobic. Entire crowds chanting, not just the odd one or two people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2303125/Brighton-report-homophobic-abuse-rival-fans-FA--list-alleged-chants-including-Colin-Kazim-Richards.html

Racist. Do I really need to provide links for this?

Sexist. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31750397

Horrible stuff.

Edited by russycarps

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

more arrests for what?

Just for being off your face. I've seen it at footlball, blokes had a little too many, coppers spot him, drag him away.

I said they was sexist & reacist stuff at football, indeffensible, thankfully you don't see that at glastonbury. It may be there but not be so obvious, I was reading a thing the other day on the problems women have being groped at gigs. Vile stuff carried out by gig goers, hopefully none of the perpetrators are at Glastonbury but you'd have to imaging there are a few.

With all due respect, those who still have the old-fashioned views of football fans are the ones that really have no clue about football.

Football games are 99.99% peaceful nowadays; the difference between matches now and matches in the 80's are enormous. The homophobic chanting is inexcusable and needs sorting, but it's not as if it's a regular occurrence imo. The sources linked are notable by their singularity; the problem is that the chants tend to follow the same players.

I agree that there is still a lot wrong with football, especially the sexist/racist chanting and attitudes, but it has changed a great deal in the last 30 years.

I also firmly believe that much of the reduction in violence is due to segregation, seating and better policing/stewarding. I think there is still that threat lurking beneath the surface, it's just controlled now.

Russy - surely you must see that the majority of football fans DO condemn the violence and racist chanting. As has been stated many times, the problems are caused by a small (yet unfortunately significant) number of fans. 

It's interesting to see the arrest percentages at football v Glastonbury, but it never can be a fair comparison.

11 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

With all due respect, those who still have the old-fashioned views of football fans are the ones that really have no clue about football.

Football games are 99.99% peaceful nowadays; the difference between matches now and matches in the 80's are enormous. The homophobic chanting is inexcusable and needs sorting, but it's not as if it's a regular occurrence imo. The sources linked are notable by their singularity; the problem is that the chants tend to follow the same players.

from the link above, 23 incidents of the crowd chanting homophobic abuse out of a 41 match sample isnt a regular occurrence?

Come on....

Football has a massive problem with violence, sexism, racism and homophobia. Best to keep it away from glastonbury entirely. No football at glastonbury. Why would you risk the utopia that is glastonbury being polluted by these people? 

Thankfully the organisers agree with me and wont be showing it in 2016. I wonder if this decision is partly due to any incidents that occurred when it was shown in 2010?

Edited by russycarps

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Thankfully the organisers agree with me and wont be showing it in 2016. I wonder if this decision is partly due to any incidents that occurred when it was shown in 2010?

Care to show any statistics to back up this assumption? I was at the front of the massive crowd for England v Germany and didn't see anything untoward at all either during the game of afterwards. It seemed like a perfectly normal Glastonbury crowd to me - if there is such a thing.

By the way, I'm not lobbying for the football to be shown this year particularly. I'm happy either way.

21 minutes ago, elias said:

Care to show any statistics to back up this assumption? I was at the front of the massive crowd for England v Germany and didn't see anything untoward at all either during the game of afterwards. It seemed like a perfectly normal Glastonbury crowd to me - if there is such a thing.

By the way, I'm not lobbying for the football to be shown this year particularly. I'm happy either way.

I'm thinking things like the IN-GUR-LUND chants that I heard with my own ears as the mob of fans trudged past on their way to the match. 

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm thinking things like the IN-GUR-LUND chants that I heard with my own ears as the mob of fans trudged past on their way to the match. 

I think your scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit there Russy if you think that people chanting is somehow detrimental to Glastonbury.
Whatever next? Banning people because they sing Coldplay lyrics? Oh, hang on a minute though ......

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

from the link above, 23 incidents of the crowd chanting homophobic abuse out of a 41 match sample isnt a regular occurrence?

Come on....

Football has a massive problem with violence, sexism, racism and homophobia. Best to keep it away from glastonbury entirely. No football at glastonbury. Why would you risk the utopia that is glastonbury being polluted by these people? 

Massive problem with violence?! In the UK? I completely disagree, in fact I haven't seen a fight involving crowd members live at a game since 2001. If anything the UK's improvement in terms of violence on the terraces should be massively applauded, we're one of the best in Europe. Racism is now more common from the players on the pitch than the fans themselves, though the sexism and homophobic chants I admit need much improvement.

I would question the legitimacy of the 23 incidents from a 41 match sample as well. I've been going to games for as long as I can remember and I have heard it only on a handful of occasions, though naturally it will differ from club to club.

I would also not use arrests as a fair metric for measuring football fan behaviour. I know this could sound daft coming from a football fan, but the way football fans are treated is terrible in some grounds. Very much guilty until proven innocent.

I'm still on the fence on the showing it at Glastonbury thing, on one hand I agree I don't like the aggressive alpha male atmosphere of football (which is one of the reasons why I don't go that often despite really enjoying the game from a technical point of view - think someone who listens to music and really appreciates the guitar work or whatever), and i hate the idea of that atmosphere coming over into Glastonbury. on the other if it's what people want then is there much harm? I guess it depends where, when and how many people go to it 

9 hours ago, russycarps said:

defending the indefensible, the football fans way.

Why cant you people ever just condemn this behaviour?

For someone up there to imply the glastonbury crowd is more troublesome than a football crowd is repugnant.

This is one of the most bizarre replys to a post of mine that I've ever seen.

You made there comments.

1) I haven't defended anything, just pointing out that 13 out of 25000 is very much in the minority

2) I do condemn this behaviour, just wasn't needed in a post post pointing out that it is a small minority.

3) Where on earth do I imply the Glastonbury crowd is more troublesome that a football crowd??? Even if I did I'm not sure repugnant would be the right word to use anyway.

I'm even wondering if you were replying to the right post

Got tickets to Glastonbury and if the football is on I'm going to get blind drunk.........noisy and aggressive ........chant.........then when we lose, hunt Russycarps down and smash him up........in-ger-land....in-ger-land (is this the reply you were fishing for Russy) ;)

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Proportionally more arrests at Glastonbury than at football matches.

Lies, damn lies and statistics etc. but still interesting all the same.

One huge difference is that a football match lasts for 90 minutes and Glasto lasts for a week.  I suspect that if you penned up a load of football fans who stayed overnight for a week to watch a tournament unfolding day-by day then you'd have a lot more arrests.

22 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

One huge difference is that a football match lasts for 90 minutes and Glasto lasts for a week.  I suspect that if you penned up a load of football fans who stayed overnight for a week to watch a tournament unfolding day-by day then you'd have a lot more arrests.

Good point, Grumpy. Needs to reflect arrests per minute. Where's me calculator.