On a different note...Euro Football at G16!

Cooter

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For purely selfish reasons, I hope that doesn't happen. I just don't like football and Glastonbury it's somewhere I get away from it. But besides, it's just too much of the real world, like checking your email on holiday.

So erm you know don't watch it then?

I imagine there may be a bigger demand, what if the Irish x 2, England And Wales get through. 

Ignore them as usual, they have less chance than even England :P (and I'll invoke the Glasto is in England, where there will be an actual sizeable crowd wanting to watch :P)

The one time they managed it, was a lucky circumstance. The camping fields had been getting more and more crowded, Glastonbury decided they'd rent some more land and added most of the western camping fields to the site that year. When it became apparent that England would get through, they decided to reserve one of those - that field is now Bushy Ground, is all camping, and fills up relatively quickly. There's just not room to take it out again.

They had another field to, that isn't camping as it was outside the fence (up by the kids field/cinema tent somewhere). They could in theory use that for any knockout games given the games will be about headliners time, I don't think they would need much of an area. So they could do it without having to take out anything else.

I am not fussed either way to be honest, I'll go with whatever the Festival decides and if the footie clashes (likely next year) with anything I want to see I'll give it a miss having learned my lesson with the german game.

But some people in this thread need a grip, almost as much as the few "angry" football fans about the fest not showing it and anyone starting a petition.

They had another field to, that isn't camping as it was outside the fence (up by the kids field/cinema tent somewhere). They could in theory use that for any knockout games given the games will be about headliners time, I don't think they would need much of an area. So they could do it without having to take out anything else.

No they couldn't, the only possible way that field becomes available again is following a change in ownership (on either side).

Stade de France on Monday the 13th? I've got that one, and one in Lille on the 15th. Don't really mind who's playing, I'll happily watch anyone (but perving at fit scandis is gonna be tricky, I'm going with the missus)

Yeah that's the one (e3 vs e4 if I remember rightly). We arrive the Monday morning and then that in the Eve followed by another 4 days there. We applied for the one in Lille plus a further games in Paris but no joy there. Can't complain though as always wanted to go to the Stade de France

Went to Germany in 2006 and it was fantastic so was desperate to go to this too.

I'm a massive football fan, but really not interested in England anymore so I wouldn't bother watching the games at Glastonbury.  Don't really see why people would have a problem with those that did want to though.

Having said that - it was amusing at the New Order Jodrell Bank gig when Johhny Marr started having a pop at people who were watching the Wimbledon final.

• 2 weeks later...

Usual flashback time.

2004. Only my second time at the festival. First was in 1995 (don't ask why it took so long to go back, long story, wrong thread).

The atmosphere at the England v Portugal Euro game shown on the Thursday at The Pyramid was just incredible. Even though we lost. I'm pretty sure that said atmosphere is one of the reasons I haven't missed a Glastonbury since. Just imagine if we'd won. It would have been even more party central.

2010. World Cup. England v Germany up against Slash into Ray Davies. Hmm. Will I get to see England play Germany in a major competition in my lifetime again? Probably. Will I ever get to see Slash supporting Ray Davies in my lifetime again. Probably not. No brainer. I may be feeling differently had we won.

So I guess my feelings are: Footy on Wednesday and Thursday? Yes please (though those days are much busier now). During full swing I am not so sure. I think I will respect ME's decision whatever.

Always have to post this in these "will they show the football?" threads. Guess old members could hear me approaching. Sorry if I bored you/am being repetitive.

I've had two failed attempts at seeing James play live this year so would love to see them play at Glastonbury. Now if Radiohead were to play as well then I'd possibly wet me knickers. Whatever the case I'm determined to watch and listen to more music / musicians play at next years festival. Mind you, that's not hard given my previous nonchalance in this area.

isnt it more the fact they are primmadonnas who demand a higher fee and a more prestigious slot than their popularity deserves? I'm sure someone's said that before (quite possibly neil)

I'd love to see them play the festival again though.

Oh yeah, and that as well. Most of their fans don't seem able to acknowledge that though...

well I do think they could pull off an other stage headline slot...but I am as delusional as everyone else I think!

surely they'd pull a big crowd wouldnt they....

I'd say they could headline The Avalon Stage, Gomez headlined that in 2010 and they're pretty much the same sort of band aren't they? :P

It's nice to have the sports on in the Bar on the Green.  People have newspapers, radios etc to keep track of the outside world so TV's no different to that in my eyes.  The only match I watched was when DJ Yoda was too full on the Sunday in 14 so I watched Greece-Costa Rica in the bar instead.  It's a nice coming-together feeling when people were watching purely for the spectacle - though I can see the concerns people may have if it's a home nation and it goes pear-shaped.

There was no tellies in the bar this year, should have been some up for the Womens World Cup IMO.

Edited by tillyandthewall

People have newspapers, radios etc to keep track of the outside world.

You say that like it's a good thing. All of the above are to the detriment of the festival in my opinion. I'll be avoiding the outside world as much as I can come June.

Each to their own*, I suppose, but I think you're selling your own festival experience short.

*Apparently it's possible to enjoy the festival in a different way to me, but I don't believe it ;)

Oh yeah, and that as well. Most of their fans don't seem able to acknowledge that though...

They don't demand higher fees, they demand their market rate for festivals, which is relatively high. Because they headline festivals and their name sells festival tickets. There's a reason they headline 3 or 4 medium-size festivals every summer.

Of course, Glastonbury doesn't need to shift tickets to James fans to sell out. And the Glastonbury demographic isn't the James demographic anymore either.

Baffling to me why people would want to take time out to watch a football match at Glastonbury of all places. But if there's a way for them to show it without disruption for those of us who don't care then go ahead I guess.

Baffling to me why people would want use their precious time at Glastonbury getting so off their faces they have no recollection of what they've been doing.  But lots of people do it and that's their business.

I love my football and would love to see the game but I can fully understand why they won't show any of the Saturday / Sunday games.  If they did show it the chances are I wouldn't go unless there was really nothing else I was bothered about seeing.  It would surely be dangerous to show it on small screens in Avalon Bar / Williams Green as there is a potential of thousands of people wanting to watch?

This tiresome presumption that all football fans are thugs is so outdated it's like suggesting that all Glastonbury goers are crusty hippies who like rolling around in mud.  It's not the 1980s any more.  It is possible to be a football fan and also be a well-adjusted member of society.