Reflection on today

Watergirl

REFLECTION ON TODAY

Writing down thoughts in order to make sense of them. First of all, compared to refugees, the homeless, people affected by gun crime or natural disasters I do not have a problem and I am know that. However, Glastonbury is the highlight of my year. The last time that I wanted to go and couldn't get a ticket was back in 2004, so not getting a ticket today (and the prospect of not hanging out there with my friends) is a serious disappointment.

I can hope for drab headliners that may maximize chances in the resale, but I want to have a plan B.

Options:

1. Hope for a stellar line up at Roskilde. It is a great festival and it would be fun to see my friends there again, however over the last few years the line up has been disappointing.

2. Try for a volunteering position at Glastonbury. After going as a punter 15 times, it would be interesting to see that side of the festival. I have talked to many people over the years who have done this and they all seem to love it.

3. I have long been curious about the big Eastern European festivals – Sziget, Exit. That said, they are very youth orientated, and my musical taste and sleeping habits are quite old fogey.

4. The English do festivals better than anyone else. This could be an opportunity to check out Larmer Tree, Wychwood, Latitude or the End of the Road.

5. Finally go on a long wished for trip to the Lofoten. The end of June would be ideal. I can stick my head in a beautiful fjord, pretend that Glastonbury isn't happening and still watch it on the iPlayer when I get back.

6. Go to the Electric Picnic?

Thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Edited by Watergirl

You still have the resales and volunteering, I've come to rely on the resales as my means of getting a ticket, it feels weird for me to have one so early now. Your prospects of going to the festival are far from over.

If you decide not to make further attempts, there are loads of great festivals across the UK. I really enjoyed Festival No 6 and Green Man this year, each of them hold their own against Glastonbury. Latitude is my favourite festival year on year, I'd highly recommend that one.

Taking a weekend away is not a bad idea to avoid the hype surrounding the festival, you probably wont even miss it if you don't see any of the press. But if it really means that much to you to go, determination in the various resales gives you a really good chance of getting in.

>Try for a volunteering position at Glastonbury. After going as a punter 15 times, it would be interesting to see that side of the festival. I have talked to many people over the years who have done this and they all seem to love it.

I would highly recommend this, just make sure you know what typical days (eg Wed-Sun or Fri-Mon etc..) you will be working and the amount of shifts and hours. Now is the time to research your options, I think early Jan is when to start applying.

I thouroghly enjoyed working with Oxfam

good luck in the resales !!

I'd choose 5, but wouldn't watch a second of it on iplayer when I got back

My fall back plan was to book a fab holiday for that week

I think I'll have to do that soon. I don't plan to be a person that goes every year, this will be my fourth on the go, but if we didn't have quite a big group this year I could have happily taken a year off. But when I did consider that, the prospect of having to sit doing nothing while the media blows up with footage of mindless droogs holding their iphones up to Radio1 shite on the Pyramid all day would kill me. That's not Glastonbury, man. Glastonbury is the Green Fields, the Rocket Lounge, West Holts, The Avalon Inn, No Bones Jones, William's Green, the Theatre & Circus fields, Ghandi's Flip Flop, sitting on top of the Park hill.... sitting on top of the Park hill...

Resales.

For the past 4 years I've got tickets in the secret resales for different people. Its by far the easiest way to get them in terms of ease of getting through. A little bit of thought, (its really not hard to work out when they will go on sale), set yourself up, or someone who has access to a pc all day, with firefox and Check4change going every couple of seconds and Bob's your uncle, well actually Bob's my brother but that's no important right now.

End of the Road, btw, was absolutely fab, so aim to do both. Beautiful Days too. Whatever you do, don't give up, the hardest part is the waiting, but as many on here have said before, if you really really want to go, you will.

(Probably)

I've been up all night, rum, no sleep, still going, was lucky enough to get my ticket on Wednesday, to drunk to help realistically,. but caught up in it all none the less. Feel the pain of those who are ticketless, I will help anyone who needs it in April.

Resales.

For the past 4 years I've got tickets in the secret resales for different people. Its by far the easiest way to get them in terms of ease of getting through. A little bit of thought, (its really not hard to work out when they will go on sale), set yourself up, or someone who has access to a pc all day, with firefox and Check4change going every couple of seconds and Bob's your uncle, well actually Bob's my brother but that's no important right now.

End of the Road, btw, was absolutely fab, so aim to do both. Beautiful Days too. Whatever you do, don't give up, the hardest part is the waiting, but as many on here have said before, if you really really want to go, you will.

(Probably)

I too missed out today and have the agony of waiting until April. Congrats to all those that made it thru though!

What is the best way to find out what day the secret sales are on or is it a case of monitoring every day!

Thanks

Yep,missed out this year,I had a bad feeling this year,never had that doubt before,probably due to the fact that I stepped on my festival mirror the other day,the little round ones,double sided and yes broke both sides,I really shouldn't of bothered trying at all.

Not sure if I'll try in the resale as the campervan tickets will have gone by then and should therefore go to someone more deserving who's prepared to go through the hard slog of camping inside the fence.

I will have to see what the lineup says,If someone stellar gets announced then I'll be tempted but at the moment Adele,Coldplay and Manilow...Hmmm

Well done to you lucky ones though and commiserations to the rest.

I'm sure I'll be climbing the walls on that weekend in June  :)

After several years of lurking on here I decided to register tonight to ask you good folk for some advice

We've been lucky for the past 3 years but unfortunately didn't get tickets this morning.

To say we were devasted would be an understatement but after talking it over all day we've sort of come to terms with it.

A couple of questions if anybody could help us

1. What do you think that the chances will be of getting a campervan ticket after the April resale?

2. If the answer to question 1 is not good can anybody suggest an alternative festival that we can try next year. we are in our mid 50s and have been to several other festival but none have come anywhere close to Glastonbury. We enjoyed the atmosphere at Bearded Theory, the music at IOW and the simplicity of Somethingelse Somewherelse.

we love the diversity and variety of Glastonbury. we're not really into the late night dance stuff but enjoy the circus & theatre areas, the green fields, the healing fields, etc and generally wandering around and seeing what catches our eye.

If anybody has got any suggestions for an alternative festival for us to try next year that would be great

Thanks

After several years of lurking on here I decided to register tonight to ask you good folk for some advice

We've been lucky for the past 3 years but unfortunately didn't get tickets this morning.

To say we were devasted would be an understatement but after talking it over all day we've sort of come to terms with it.

1. What do you think that the chances will be of getting a campervan ticket after the April resale?

2. If the answer to question 1 is not good can anybody suggest an alternative festival that we can try next year. we are in our mid 50s and have been to several other festival but none have come anywhere close to Glastonbury. We enjoyed the atmosphere at Bearded Theory, the music at IOW and the simplicity of Somethingelse Somewherelse.

we love the diversity and variety of Glastonbury. we're not really into the late night dance stuff but enjoy the circus & theatre areas, the green fields, the healing fields, etc and generally wandering around and seeing what catches our eye.

If anybody has got any suggestions for an alternative festival for us to try next year that would be great

Thanks

We enjoyed Latitude immensely last year and will definitely be going again as long as there's a half decent lineup,it's only a couple of weeks after Glastonbury and there's some amazing art,comedy,poetry etc and stuff to do.

Went to Festival no6 as well,the one in Portmeirion where they filmed the prisoner,the most stunning location of any festival I've been to.

They're both a little bit on the commercial side  but not like V and others.

Thanks

End of the road is a great festival, and I've heard nothing but good things about green man

End of the road is a great festival, and I've heard nothing but good things about green man

Have to agree with End Of The Road, probably had the best headliner of most festivals this year in Sufjan Stevens never been to Green Man but have heard a lot of good things about it.

http://endoftheroadfestival.com/