Alternative festivals to Glastonbury 2016?

Magic Bus

So we sadly failed to get tickets this morning. This time last year we were in the same boat - and decided to book Sziget 2015 in case we didn't get tickets in the resale (we did, luckily).

We drove our motorhome all the way to Budapest and Sziget was amazing - I would thoroughly recommend it. This year we're considering where else to try. Early contenders are Kendal Calling and Latitude. However any views would be gratefully received to help us make up our minds.

Thanks

Thanks for replying Adele.

Put it like this - our 20-something youngsters go to Glastonbury, and we party with them (sometimes!). We enjoy all sorts of stuff at Glasto, favourite main venues being Pyramid, West Holts, Avalon & Acoustic, as well as theatre & Circus rather than the naughty corner, dance, DJ or D&B venues.

From your footer, I suspect SGP might appeal to us rather than Boomtown or Leeds??

Our Dutch friends keep trying to persuade us to do Sziget, Pink pop, Benacasim and Rock Wercher.

I quite fancy Cochella or Burning man in the US and if I was a fitter Tomorrowland or Ultra music festival.

From what you're saying Lattitude, Isle of White or Bestival would all be good options.

I've gone off R&L & Download not because of the music, but by some of the people who go. And you'd have to pay me to go to "T in the park" again after the fiasco of the move to the new site this year. 

Edited by Penrhos

Thanks for replying Adele.

Put it like this - our 20-something youngsters go to Glastonbury, and we party with them (sometimes!). We enjoy all sorts of stuff at Glasto, favourite main venues being Pyramid, West Holts, Avalon & Acoustic, as well as theatre & Circus rather than the naughty corner, dance, DJ or D&B venues.

From your footer, I suspect SGP might appeal to us rather than Boomtown or Leeds??

Boomtown has a lot of D&B downtown for the youngsters, but also a lot of Reggae and a fair amount of World and Roots uptown. (Amadou and Mariam was my highlight this year)

Do you know what Boomtown is like with young kids 3-4 year olds.  Considering this as my alternative

it's a full-on party town, and defo not the sort of place you'd want to be wheeling a kid around after dark

(in fact, I could be wrong, but I think they might have a ban on pushchairs after dark).

Imagine talking your kid to Glasto's naughter corner. You could do it, but you prolly wouldn't want to.

I kick off my festival season with Wychwood at Cheltenham Racecourse. In 2016 it's at the beginning of June,  Nothing like the scale but enough to keep most people happy.

As a complete contrast I end with Farmer Phil's at Ratlinghope near Shrewsbury in August.  Very small but in a great location and you can stay on site at no extra change for a few days either side of the festival.  It's in a lovely part of the world and makes a good touring centre if you are into scenery and walking.

Do you know what Boomtown is like with young kids 3-4 year olds.  Considering this as my alternative

Hi. Personally I don't think Boomtown is a great place for children. I don't have experience of lots of festivals but shambala is a little more relaxed and child friendly.

To anyone considering Bomtown who likes Reggae, if you also have a camper van you would be perfectly placed.

I like going to Y Not festival as a mid sized add on. I like the size and the atmosphere. Think the price is good especially for the line up. They normally have very similar line up as Kendal but its cheaper. It's family friendly and there's other things to do then just the music.

I went to Sziget this year as well and it was just amazing. I fully recommend other people to go, so much to see and do.

Other European festivals to try would be Rock Werchter, Pukklepop and Southside in Germany. None of them have much to do apart from music but I have never been bored and the atmosphere is really good with them all.

I've never been to Latitude or bestival but I've heard time and time again that they are the most similar to Glastonbury.