Fair system?

mrfunk

it really is luck and being organized and prepared. Having been to every glasto since 1993 I frequently get asked if I get a 'loyalty ticket' i usually say 'I wish' but really I don't think there should be a loyalty advantage for the good reasons people on here have already pointed out.

I was lucky again this time my main fear was that they would sell out even faster than last year. It's a relief that they seem to be slowing it down to 30 minutes, i feel that the longer it takes to sell out then more casual buyers will give up and the committed ones have a better chance.

Also the slower it goes the lower the chance of getting on the booking page but  tickets sell out before you complete the transaction. That will always happen to some people in the last few minutes of availability and is gutting after thinking you have them in the bag.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First year where I didn't get a look in, same methods as we always use (several computers, multiple browsers).  Thankfully one of my son's friends got through and mine was one of the 6 he managed to book, sadly 2 lost out but we'll all be trying for them in the resale.

As others have said, there is nothing you can do to improve your chances apart from being prepared and having several people trying at different locations and whoever gets through does the booking.

Agreed...its not good like this... i feel technical experience of ticket buying might give you an advantage

I reckon some might have an ever so slight advantage against someone who doesn't really use a computer/the internet but other than there is nothing technical about it and any little tips to make it slightly quicker (like copy and pasting from Notepad instead of word, to avoid extra spaces) are so widely talked about on this forum/other social media groups that with a little effort of looking around anyone could those up.

We might like a loyalty scheme, but just as it might be a bit shit if it was all newbies, it would be a bit shit if it was all regulars.

I reckon some might have an ever so slight advantage against someone who doesn't really use a computer/the internet but other than there is nothing technical about it and any little tips to make it slightly quicker (like copy and pasting from Notepad instead of word, to avoid extra spaces) are so widely talked about on this forum/other social media groups that with a little effort of looking around anyone could those up.

We might like a loyalty scheme, but just as it might be a bit shit if it was all newbies, it would be a bit shit if it was all regulars.

Definitely nothing technical. Previous 3 years I've tried to be really clever with plugins, multiple browsers and loads of other little bits but haven't even got close myself (others got through)

This year it was one laptop, one browser, one tab and just keep refreshing from 8.45 and I got through. Just persistence and dedication.

Edited by efcfanwirral

Pure luck....

My only issue is people getting 6 tickets at a time for £300 which a fair percent will end up back on resale! Maybe limit to 4 or even retain a higher amount of cash back for those not paying balance....

I don't agree with a loyalty scheme in any shape or form unless it's for discounted beer. The more new faces, the better

It's just luck whether you get the holding page and luck if you refresh at the precise fraction of a second that a space is available.

We live in the middle of nowhere with speeds of 1mbps only and have been lucky in October for the past 2 years.

Before that we got tickets in the resale for the 2 years before. We hadn't had a sniff of a ticket for the 2 years before then.

We are more organised now thanks to this site and teamed up with a group that we met last year and all have got tickets thanks to luck.

The re sales were much easier for us simply because most people who didn't get tickets in October make other plans.

There will be loads from here who will be happy to help in April to get tickets for those that want them.

2016 will be my 20th Glastonbury in a row and I don't think the festival owes me any kind of loyalty whatsoever. It's me that chooses to get tickets, not as a favour to the festival but as a favour to me. When the time comes that I do not manage to get a ticket then fine, someone else will take my place. Which is as it should be.

Do they sell tickets for the VIP areas, Or do you need to get a ticket in the main sale and then upgrade?

Absolutely no VIP areas at Glastonbury, it's really not that kind of place. You would never see that kind of nonsense, people would go nuts. There's only backstage areas if that's what you mean and passes for there wouldn't normally be for sale.

Charm x

Do they sell tickets for the VIP areas, Or do you need to get a ticket in the main sale and then upgrade?

Yeah, you can buy those tickets if you take some glamping options, or you know people in the music industry, or even people who are connected with supplying facilities. There's a lot of them floating around.  Think they were about 425 quid a pop last year.

I be been 8 times before so still feel gutted my luck ran out. To go in the glamping would I need a ticket or just buy a glamping ticket? Because for £425 I would pay that for a ticket and just take my tent and maybe just go back to the glam ping area for a shower. VIP area was the wrong choice of word

I be been 8 times before so still feel gutted my luck ran out. To go in the glamping would I need a ticket or just buy a glamping ticket? Because for £425 I would pay that for a ticket and just take my tent and maybe just go back to the glam ping area for a shower. VIP area was the wrong choice of word

You need a ticket I'm afraid

Yes, it's a fair system. Just me on my laptop, with a slow (and wobbly) connection and one IE window open. A printed out page of reg details, and my de it card to hand.

Successfully bought tickets at about 9.17am.

Previously bought successfully in the same way for the last three years. Prior to that other people lucky for us.

Only four people in our group of buyers, so no mass groups trying.

It's luck, pure luck. Your refresh time just hits at the right time a space comes free.

.... and no, loyalty or guarantee systems should not be introduced!!

It is luck, however I think there are ways one can improve their odds. For example I have personally got tickets for Glastonbury the eight times I've been - not to brag but whenever I try with friends, it's always me that gets through.

Not sure why but I do have different browsers open, switch between them when one browser isn't responding, sometimes close that browser down and restart it (which often at least gets me back on the landing page as opposed to page won't load). I'll also have the phone open and refresh that. I'm not an IT man, no idea if any of that stuff even helps, but it seems to. Stuff many of us do, but maybe not everyone does. 

I also went to the World Cup Final last year and got tickets for it about a week before the tournament started when they had a one off sale of the 500 tickets remaining. Again that was a similar system (they do have a lottery for some stages), and I got through - I did devise a system which I can't remember and wouldn't bore you all with it even if I could, but it wasn't anything technical and maybe improved my odds only a bit.  

Anyway, I don't think it is 100% luck. I would say a lot of it is clearly luck though. 

Edited by arcade fireman

The more you try and prepare the luckier you get I reckon. For example a seasoned e fester would refresh relentlessly each second until there was no more hope and may get a ticket in the last minute. Another individual may refresh a few times in between moaning on twitter/facebook that you they can't get in!

As an example after I got my tickets I then offered to get a friend and two of his mates some more as I had a page up so rang them but they didn't have the reg numbers printed out and was he struggling to get their regs off his phone.

I got him one as I had his number but his mates missed out by seconds as it sold out before I could get their deets in. Had they been better prepped they would probably be sorted now and not waiting for resales.

It's luck, I've been for that last 20 years, chose not to go last year and this year our luck ran out, it was always going to happen. No point in bleating about it, there's the resale, there's other festivals.

I don't think it's unfair but I can understand why some people talk about thinking it's unfair etc as its part of the healing process after the stress of trying to get a ticket. I see it as just letting off steam.

I think it's fine as it is but I think social media helps heighten the issue of feeling unfair.

For instance, this morning I couldn't get any response from the server at all. I genuinely thought See had gone down, so I checked Twitter and saw people saying they had booked them. 

Lots of people just don't seem to get the process. I've bought tickets for friends before who have thought once they reached the queue page it was a case of sitting there rather than whacking F5 to death. 

I don't like how some people can manage to get through multiple times (a friend of a friend got through 4 times to get 24 tickets) whilst there are thousands that don't even get a sniff. I understand people go in groups, but this doesn't seem fair and doesn't sit right with me.

I wonder if they should up the maximum tickets to 10 per person to cater for the larger groups, but will allow others the opportunity to get though.

Absolutely no VIP areas at Glastonbury, it's really not that kind of place. You would never see that kind of nonsense, people would go nuts. There's only backstage areas if that's what you mean and passes for there wouldn't normally be for sale.

Charm x

Alas that's just not true. There used to be a wonderful open air cinema field towards the John Peel tent, the field was taken over by hospitality camping a few years ago.