Was that fair?

fullerlove

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's harsh if people got to the point where they pressed "Buy Ticket" and then they didn't get them.  I got to that point four times and had to go back, fortunately I got the Booking Complete page of the fifth attempt.

What I don't get is why some people get the page cannot be displayed message or your connection has timed out message and can't get on the seetickets screen to f5. I was on the seetickets page from to refresh and it always stayed on that page never lost the connection.

That was bloody stressful. We got through on a laptop at about 9.15 and got through to the page where it confirms your name, and the Internet explorer crashed. Then nothing for 10 mins then my Twitter pal phoned to say he got through and got to the payment details page for us then it just lagged on the payment page and didn't process. Then I got through on my phone on 3G about 2 mins before it sold out, and we got our tickets.

I'm relieved now but there was a period of time when I was ready to throw the laptop through the window. :lol:

Not a sniff here in Wakefield or for my mates in Grimsby and Spain who were all trying.  Luckily one mate just outside Chester got through for 3 tickets, and my son got through on a University computer in York for the other 6

I think I only saw the holding page 3 times, and it would error when I hit refresh

It is as fair as it can be - always going to be disappointed people

.... and now I am off back to bed for a couple of hours :D

I started off on my MacBook on chrome and safari, was refreshing well before 9 but then after 9 it started struggling and the connection kept on timing out. iPad was useless, mobile on 4g was refreshing but didn't get through.

Got through on my old PC, one browser, Chrome, one tab, took a while to get onto the site initially but once I was on the refresh page it was refreshing every second, got through at quarter past. Took three attempts to get past the add registrations page, then 4 attempts to pay. Completed transaction at around 20 past.

Virgin 100mbps here. Was stressful, but glad it's over for a year!

As others have said connection speed makes little to no difference I had 4 virtual machines on Microsoft Azure and none of those got through to a ticket page with 1 of them refusing to even get a holding page. I managed to get through on my home pc which while it has a decent connection it isn't as good a connection as being in a data centre.

i sat looking at a blank white page for 30 mins, i just couldn't even get onto the holding page.  Whereas last year i got through 3 times. 

i do think it comes down to luck, but wonder whether if you manage to get through once whether it somehow gives you an advantage so you can get through multiple times.  i did get tickets - but from someone in our group who got through twice 

The bandwidth of your connection (the mbps figure) isn't really anything to do with speed. It's latency (or ping) that's  the issue. The bandwidth tells you how much data the connection will give you per second, which isn't really an issue as the Seetickets pages aren't that big at all. The latency tells you how quickly you'll receive a response.

It's like comparing a 40 tonne artic to a Ferrari - the artic will be able to deliver a huge amount of stuff to you, but the Ferrari will be much quicker off the mark. And as you only want a small amount of data delivered to you the Ferrari will do the job just fine.

Having said all that, if you're in a rural area it's more likely you'll have higher latency. It's all rather moot though, as it's not a first over the line contest - it's one where the winner crosses the line between two set times.

Edited by musky

Got all of ours except for one group. Had all there details in and pressed confirm only too find out one on the group had already got ticket.

So had too go back and remove him, then confirm again and sold out.

Terrible for them :/

I got tickets but even if i didn't it still would have been as fair as it could have been.

We got through on my wife's iPhone on 3g. I also had wired internet and a few dongles giving different connections. The only two that got the holding page were my wifes phone and my macbook with a 4g dongle, the rest were just white pages.

i think the key is get on the site and start refreshing a good 15 minutes before, leave it closer to 9 and you and everyone is else is trying and its difficult to get on the site let alone get a holding page.

Even them some will get the holding page some won't, forget the ones with white screens and concentrate on hitting F5 on those, you still may not get through but there is a decent chance you will.

if you are sitting there on one laptop and get a white page I think you are essentially screwed, hence why you need to have a few different angles.

I think it's fair. The coach sale is a decent leveller too, between now and April (the resales are certainly no harder and maybe even easier), there are four bites at the cherry to get tickets. There's also secret resales etc - if you're really determined to go you have a better chance of going than someone who would quite like to go. There's no better way of deciding who gets to go IMO.

I got tickets but even if i didn't it still would have been as fair as it could have been.

We got through on my wife's iPhone on 3g. I also had wired internet and a few dongles giving different connections. The only two that got the holding page were my wifes phone and my macbook with a 4g dongle, the rest were just white pages.

i think the key is get on the site and start refreshing a good 15 minutes before, leave it closer to 9 and you and everyone is else is trying and its difficult to get on the site let alone get a holding page.

Even them some will get the holding page some won't, forget the ones with white screens and concentrate on hitting F5 on those, you still may not get through but there is a decent chance you will.

if you are sitting there on one laptop and get a white page I think you are essentially screwed, hence why you need to have a few different angles.

I think even then it's just pure luck. 

I was on the site from 8.15am and by 8.59am the site started returning server errors. 

I've tried multiple devices but that just slows down how quickly I can whack F5 on one device. In the end, I bagged 12. 

My Facebook feed is full of very happy people today. Defo having lots of people trying helps. I got through on my laptop but my brother had already managed to get the tickets so we were lucky.i think it's as fair a system as can be. I've often found it easier in the re sales so don't give up hope

speed doesn't matter at all.

it's a bit like this:

115597200_3d577dea13_o.jpg

except that there's a million other balls trying to go through, and you're all blindfolded, so no-one knows when they'll actually get through.

it doesn't matter how hard you smash it, a fast and a slow are equally likely not to get through, it's all about luck.

just hit and hope!

Edited by ghostdancer1

If anyone wants to test the latency of their connection you can try http://www.speedtest.net/?a=1

But it really makes naff all difference to getting through.

I logged in through work server and check speed on that site and it was over 300mbs. I know it's luck but the page refreshed very quickly so I could try loads of times and never lost the holding page.

I think even then it's just pure luck. 

I was on the site from 8.15am and by 8.59am the site started returning server errors. 

I've tried multiple devices but that just slows down how quickly I can whack F5 on one device. In the end, I bagged 12. 

I agree, although I was essentially in charge of 4 devices with 4 connections, its a bit slow to start with but you get into a rhythm, in the end only one, my Macbook with the dongle, was refreshing quickly on the holding page, whenever that was slightly slower I quickly refreshed the others and back to the macboook - it did work as this got through at 9:20 but we had already got through on the phone.