Jean-Michael Jarre

matt2007

shouldn't the biggest festival be having the biggest acts in the world as headliners? If Prince is relevant today as a headliner, then why not JMJ?

And also, shouldn't the biggest festival in the world be having the act known for the biggest and most extravagant shows?

I'm not sat here thinking they should be booking him, but at the same time I don't see why they shouldn't if they want him. There's plenty of acts that have headlined whose 'big' time was decades before they headlined, and JMJ ticks pretty much all of the same boxes.

your correct there have been many many acts who were bigger prior to headlining, but pretty much all more relevant to the typical Glasto crowd than JMJ is.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is more or less what I'm thinking. Part of Glastonbury's remit, I reckon is to be different, to take a risk, to do the unexpected. This would be met by a certain degree of bewilderment by many, but equally a huge number of people would regard this booking as a proper coup.

(personally, I can't stand him, but that's neither here nor there)

When is they last take a risk with a headliner? All very radio friendly these days.

JMJ playing Glastonbury 2016 could be on the cards for one slightly over looked point that 2016 is the 40th anniversary of iconic album Oxygene.  JMJ is also quoted as moving himself &/or his technology/musical interests to London in the near future.

In addition, booking him would be the most 'curved ball' & unpredictable/risk taking venture for some time & perhaps to Glastos credit & status.  Indeed there are many who have not heard of him or his music in recent times but to a large extent this is irrelevant if the organisers & JMJ's team pull off some sort of site wide lighting & firework extravaganza along the lines of his cityscape backdrop epics of the 1980's like Docklands & Houston.  The spectacle would appeal to all just like it did to the millions who attended those concerts back then.

The Hill Of Death over looking Glasto could well be the hot spot for the best seats in town if it happened.

Interesting.

Edited by JulesyBoy

Saw him do the Docklands gig in the late 80's - when Docklands was a pile of derelict buildings. In its day it was immense.

That was my very first gig.  Right on the barrier by the projectors in the constant drizzle.  Still great though, although nowhere near as impressive as the Houston concert, which was about as impressive as a gig can get.

I think he has overdone the Oxygene reboot thing though, pretty sure he has already reworked it once and released a parts 7-12 version as well as remasters and remixes.

The idea of the whole place doing one track at once is a blow you away brilliant idea, got to admit.

Coldplay's visuals in 2011 were fantastic, a full show using that tech would be amazing.

• 5 months later...

This may be pissing in the wind but look at the Summer dates for Jarre's tour. There is still a large Glasto sized gap available.  Is it possible he & Glasto are not announcing it yet as a gesture of good will to BlueDot in the knowledge that it would affect their ticket sales.

The only question marks are that Jarre has now been removed from the Efest Rumours/Line-up list & to play Glasto would mean then going back to Europe for dates there before returning to the UK for BlueDot.

1 minute ago, JulesyBoy said:

This may be pissing in the wind but look at the Summer dates for Jarre's tour. There is still a large Glasto sized gap available.  Is it possible he & Glasto are not announcing it yet as a gesture of good will to BlueDot in the knowledge that it would affect their ticket sales.

The only question marks are that Jarre has now been removed from the Efest Rumours/Line-up list & to play Glasto would mean then going back to Europe for dates there before returning to the UK for BlueDot.

he's down as an exclusive for Bluedot, and also listed as his first UK date in five years, so him doing Glastonbury would piss all over that. think he's ruled out

On 2 October 2015 at 5:06 PM, Slugworth said:

At the very start of electronic music.

JMJ, Kraftwerk and Vangelis pretty much influenced every electronic artist thereafter.

If you listen to just about any electronic music today, every sound you hear was done by these pioneers 40 odd years ago!

It's a shame that it looks likely he won't be playing Glastonbury, it would be a proper spectacle and no doubt at all, a worthy headliner.

I knew I was the coolest kid in primary school when I got Oxygene....

Edited by Ringo_Spar

Glastonbury really needs to get creative and take a few risks with their bookings - this could have been a really imaginative choice - instead we get largely the same headliners again who have played very recently. Are they really so sensitive now to a bad reception or review of a risky booking...?

On 14/03/2016 at 2:53 PM, dooke10 said:

Saw that, down the road from me - time for some mathematical equations to make it possible

the whole lineup looks great, so just bought some weekend tickets as really enjoyed Jodrell bank as a venue. As even all the space stuff is cool too and real decent ales, what's not to like!!

5 hours ago, paddyclark said:

Oxygene was the first album I ever bought...

Seriously considering Bluedot only an hour or so from home but the week before Kendal Calling so financially a problem :(

The first albums I listened to, which my brother bought, were the Essental by JMJ and Autobahn by Kraftwerk, Then on to Gary Numan and John Foxx, hence my love for electronic music ever since !

Bought my tickets for Bluedot yesterday, taking the missus and two kids, cant wait. My boys (7 and 10) are into science and space as well so it should be great fun.

On 3/15/2016 at 0:07 PM, Pinhead said:

Glastonbury really needs to get creative and take a few risks with their bookings - this could have been a really imaginative choice - instead we get largely the same headliners again who have played very recently. Are they really so sensitive now to a bad reception or review of a risky booking...?

Yes.

43 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

the whole lineup looks great, so just bought some weekend tickets as really enjoyed Jodrell bank as a venue. As even all the space stuff is cool too and real decent ales, what's not to like!!

I know, I just can't see me pulling it out of the hat with Glastonbury and general life!!

West Holts headliner? Matches up with their 'one to gawp at' comment recently.

Yay! Finally finished programming the 2016 lineup last night. Some unique collaborations and definite surprises plus bands to dance to, bliss out with and one to gawp at. Can't wait to share it!

I found a cassette tape in the road when I was a kid in the 80's. It had Equinoxe on 1 side and Oxygene on the other... I'd never even heard of Jean Michel Jarre. I thought it was the most futuristic thing I'd heard, too 'out there' for my mates taste. They televised 'Live in Paris' years later and was I blown away with the set-up. Can't say I've listened to him much since but I'd go see him at the farm if he were to play, even if it's just for the visuals. Always preferred Equinoxe out of the 2.

22 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

i cant see why they wouldnt have JMJ but i cant see it happen .i reckon hed make a fuck off finishing act with a fuck off great light show but alas it wont be happening

Can you imagine, stood in your favourite place, listening to JMJ ,tripping your tits off with that light show ? Fucking amazing.

1 hour ago, davidd said:

Can you imagine, stood in your favourite place, listening to JMJ ,tripping your tits off with that light show ? Fucking amazing.

christ the last time i did acid at glasto was 97 or 98 cant remember but i lost the plot thought i was being followed by old bill cos i had shed loads of stuff on me and when i thought id got back to our camp which was by the dance tent and walked into the circus tent with people flying through the bloody air i totally lost it lol .....ive done shed loads of acid before and since but never at glasto  lol so id be happy on shed lots of mandy or sweets lol

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

christ the last time i did acid at glasto was 97 or 98 cant remember but i lost the plot thought i was being followed by old bill cos i had shed loads of stuff on me and when i thought id got back to our camp which was by the dance tent and walked into the circus tent with people flying through the bloody air i totally lost it lol .....ive done shed loads of acid before and since but never at glasto  lol so id be happy on shed lots of mandy or sweets lol

Superb, whatever would collective boats, it'd quite marvellous wouldn't it?