please buy tickets via our links

eFestivals

6 hours ago, Chawk said:

Could you make the app to just be an equivalent of text notifications? So all the checking is done server side but then the app gets notified when a change happens, and then the user can click on the url via the app straight away. it might be worth making an app to open it up to the wider market, although I've not looked into how many already exist.

thanks - not a bad idea, and something I'll think more about while I first make the user front end of checkpage better than it is.

It would still incur an amount of data charges from a phone network, but the amount of data transferred would be much reduced compared to checking the monitored page directly.

On 13/05/2016 at 3:48 PM, eFestivals said:

It's the trend. There should be an app for everything. :P

Data over phone networks is VERY expensive, as the first thing, and if you're checking (say) every 5 seconds it can total up quickly. And the checking is only as good as your network connection.

A check done via server using fixed lines is more robust and less likely to drop out, and doesn't incur those data charges, and the alert to the user would be just about instant when their network connection resumed after a drop-out (meaning it's still unlikely that an app would alert them first).

But all systems have their flaws. Mine is dependent on those fixed lines, an email-to-text service provider, every recipient's email provider, and every recipient's phone provider - none of which I can control, and I can't offer a guarantee that my system will work because of those things.

Surely a mobile page checker app would do the checking with a server and use push notifications to send the results to the device on change? Polling from the device is obviously bonkers!

Whether that model is economical for the vendor is another question.

Edit: beaten to it!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/07/2016 at 9:34 AM, big__phil said:

@eFestivals - I see you've got Hinds tour dates listed on eGigs (http://www.egigs.co.uk/bands/?b=61280), but no links. Will the links come up tomorrow? If not I'll use a pre-sale link I've found today.

Cheers

sorry to be a bit late answering this, but yeah, hopefully they should have appeared.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What happens if I use the Shop link to go to a ticketing site for a gig, but then log in, and have to find the event again - does your initial link still pick up that referral and eventual purchase? Do you get the dosh if a guest login is used?  I bought Car Seat Headrest for Leeds off Seetickets and logged in, but if it all picks up the referral and I don't always need to log in, that makes it easier for me (I'm lazy, I know).

22 minutes ago, carlosj said:

What happens if I use the Shop link to go to a ticketing site for a gig, but then log in, and have to find the event again - does your initial link still pick up that referral and eventual purchase? Do you get the dosh if a guest login is used?  I bought Car Seat Headrest for Leeds off Seetickets and logged in, but if it all picks up the referral and I don't always need to log in, that makes it easier for me (I'm lazy, I know).

I don't actually know with certainty.

I believe it tracks that user session and credits efests for the purchases made in that session, but as i say I can't be sure.

I'll try to remember to check if your purchase is listed when I get the report at the end of the month.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I don't actually know with certainty.

I believe it tracks that user session and credits efests for the purchases made in that session, but as i say I can't be sure.

I'll try to remember to check if your purchase is listed when I get the report at the end of the month.

Cheers.  I did go back and log in for this one, then clicked the link to buy the ticket, but I wanted to check for next time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 7:49 AM, eFestivals said:

However, you can get there yourself next time by using the menu at the top of the page, and you'll find the links to some major agents in 'shop -> tickets'

I think it might be useful if you put this in the original post on this thread. I've been clicking and following links in a really arse about face manner which I hope has been earning you the commission (not 100% sure but it seems to have an affiliate ref in the URL so I think is all good) and making it as easy as possible for people to engage in might be a good thing! No worries if you've already considered and decided not to. 

11 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I think it might be useful if you put this in the original post on this thread. I've been clicking and following links in a really arse about face manner which I hope has been earning you the commission (not 100% sure but it seems to have an affiliate ref in the URL so I think is all good) and making it as easy as possible for people to engage in might be a good thing! No worries if you've already considered and decided not to. 

thanks, I'll sort it now. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...