The Joanna Newsom Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Apologies if this is against the forum rules (I did look, honest), but still got two good front stalls tickets for the Glasgow show up on Scarlet Mist if anyone is looking.  Can meet on the night.

Sarcastic Scot & internet forum junkie WLTM similar for LOLs & Joanna Newson gig threeway. No Penguins. Ability to drop dry one liners or puns preferred.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My wife will also be there, so I'd need to check if that's all OK with her.

She'll be fiiiiine. Wives always are at gigs with or including brilliant female performers. Mine generally becomes a complete lesbian for 90 minutes due to said performers utter brilliance and usually ignores me other than to lean over and utter to me how phenomenal said performer is. Some Warpaint gigs have left me utterly emasculated in an 'Pffff, I don't blame her' kinda way.

Having said that Damien Rice gigs usually have had a similar affect. 

8 hours ago, Woffy said:

She'll be fiiiiine. Wives always are at gigs with or including brilliant female performers. Mine generally becomes a complete lesbian for 90 minutes due to said performers utter brilliance and usually ignores me other than to lean over and utter to me how phenomenal said performer is. Some Warpaint gigs have left me utterly emasculated in an 'Pffff, I don't blame her' kinda way.

Having said that Damien Rice gigs usually have had a similar affect. 

Fookin Warpaint live. Tighter than a gnat's chuff. No band plays together like they do.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

EOTR only UK festival.

Buggity-bugger.

So, I was sent the EOTR announcment by Child 1 (18, off to Latitude and Bestival this summer), as he'll have seen the line-up and known I'd be 'cross'.

I can take a Joanna-free Glastonbury wel enough, though I'd have loved to see her there. I also have to resign myself to the fact that, though I have fallen in love with GF, it'll likely never be able to host a line-up quite 'tailored' for me in the way that EOTR and Green Man quite often can, because it's a festival that caters for a much broader audience. That's OK too, because of what Glastonbury brings me that nowhere else on earth, let alone another festival, can.

But I'm going to be majorly cross if that announcement sounds the death nell for Animal Collective not playing Glastonbury. I worry that it does. They'll be over for EOTR and then stay for Bestival, obviously, but will they come back over in June for me too? Surely the success of The Park indicates the need for stuff like AnCo to be at the festival, alongside the more mainstream acts, even more than maybe 10-15 years ago?

Please come, boys. I think you'd be my No.1 must-see...

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Arghhh really wishing I could afford to go to EOTR. Hopefully we'll get AnCo & Bat For Lashes at Glastonbury but Goat, Joanna Newsom, Phosphorescent, Devendra and Cat Power (probably the best gig I saw last year) are all unlikely/impossible

Edited by TomViolence

• 4 weeks later...

I have one 3rd row stalls ticket going unused for Glasgow on the 2nd Feb, is anyone is looking or would like an upgrade.  I'm happy to post next day delivery today for guaranteed delivery tomorrow, would be happy to take just a fiver plus postage as would rather it be used.  Message me today if interested.

To everyone going to see the gigs this week, enjoy yourselves and report back on how the gig was afterwards, please :)

Edited by fantomas

Fucking hellllll guys!!!

Amazing. Again.

Good Intentions Paving Company was wonderful, I can see that going down a storm at EotR. In California was a very welcome addition, one of the most affecting songs she's ever made, great live rendition. Baby Birch had the whole audience in pieces, just looking around the room you could see how much it got to everybody, me included. I've waited ages to hear her play that track, it's the one that hooked me onto her music. Anecdotes and Sapokanikan both sounded amazing. Monkey & Bear felt a little bit off to me, not sure why. Cosmia was as amazing as it always is. Surprised at no Emily! Improptu Q and A session while tuning the harp was great. Where's my damn End Of The Road ticket at?