John Grant

LEDZEP66

Just announced a tour for early next year and a playing the royal Albert hall on 15th June, would be welcomed with open arms to the farm. On a side note would anyone on 02 not wanting to go to his gigs be able to send me their priority code, tickets go in sale tomorrow morning for priority. I'm sure the good karma you would get by helping me out would help you on Sunday for tickets

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swimming against the tide, I really love Pale Green Ghosts, genuinely believe it's one of the best albums of the last howevermany years. I'm ambivalent about Queen of Denmark, there's some good stuff on there, but it doesn't hang together in the same way, and it's not as interesting, for me, as PGG.

Edited by Mardy

I'm with you Mardy.

Maybe it's because I discovered John late and Pale Green Ghosts was the first album I heard, but I definitely prefer it to Queen of Denmark which felt a bit of an anti climax after PGG

I also discovered PGG then about a year later discovered Queen of Denmark and i'd say I prefer Queen of Denmark

there just a couple of songs on Pale Green Ghosts that let it down for me, Sensitive New Age Guy in particular and Ernest Borgnine don't agree with my ears at all

Yep, i'm a PGG > Queen of Denmark person too but again I came to the party late and heard PGG first.

Am rather looking forward to the Rough Trade thing next friday and getting tickets for his Cambridge gig (which I refuse to buy in the O2 presale giving ticketmaster an extra £7 over buying them directly from the Corn Exchange!)

Edited by cdm22

Favour the Queen of Denmark stuff, but the last record had some great stuff on it, but overall I was disappointed. Had seen him a couple of times at End of the Road, one of which he did loads of new songs (which ended up on PGG) with just him an a piano. It was incredible! Imagine my disappointment on next hearing that he'd electro'd them up. Then went to see him with new band etc on the PGG and further came away dislking that record. The song PGG is great but the album not so great, in my humble opinion anyway. 

Will look forward to hearing the new record anyway. Seen him 3 times so depends (IF) at Glasto (IF) who he'd clash with etc....

• 1 month later...

Anyone at the Hammersmith gig last night? Incredible. There were times (during the quieter songs - Glacier, QoD) when you realised that the audience were completely silent, noone talking around us at all. Not very often that happens anymore sadly!

With that Albert Hall gig in June he's got to be a good bet to return to G, but where to put him? I feel it would be good if he was on a bigger stage than the Park now, but not sure if a mid afternoon Pyramid or Other spot would work...

• 4 months later...

Queen of Denmark just came on BSR's playlist and now I'm absolutely buzzing to see John again so lets talk about it

where do we think he'll be? I'd love a for him Headlining the Park on Friday but the consensus seems to be he'll get a low slot on the Other stage

I would love for him to headline the park, I have no interest in the other rumoured headliners for Friday so that would be perfect for me. However like you I suspect he will be elsewhere, hope it is not the other as it is my least favourite of the stages and not sure the crowd usually there would "get" him. But I am struggling to see where else he could play. Saw him in Manchester earlier this year and he was magnificent, he is my one unmissable act this year