• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 27/01/2016 at 3:57 PM, Chawk said:

Someone on the official GM forum asked about PJ Harvey and the response was:

' We tried very hard but she's not extending her tour beyond the dates she's announced :( x '

Hmm, just announced for Iceland Airwaves in November so still crossing fingers!

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Ever the optimist, I thought it was strange how Green Man claim they won't be announcing their next headliner for another six weeks or so. Could it be a reunion? Could this even be an indication? - 

I doubt it but, dear god, I hope I've guessed this one right... (more realistically, it's just an act with a UK tour to sell out beforehand) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31 March 2016 at 8:06 PM, Chawk said:

GM replied to someone on twitter saying they tried to book LCD this year, so they do try to get that level of headliner; It just doesn't come off all to often, which can be expected I guess. 

I don't know how festival bookers work but they seem to have built up a strong relationship with Hot Chip over the years so potentially hoped the Al Doyle angle might play in their favour? 

I think they have tried quite hard to get Neil Young as well so they definitely do try and punch above their weight occasionally. For me though I just would hate to see them go the way that Hop Farm seemed to, paying way more than they could ever afford. They just don't need to and I don't think they ever will. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello lovely Green Man forum people.

We're considering hopping along for the first time this year, although it's a toss up between Green Man and Latitude. Has anyone done both festivals? What are the main similarities/differences?

We'll be a group of thirty-somethings with no kids in tow who love the Avalon/Greenfields/Cabaret/Leftfield/Shangri La bits of Glastonbury. Not done smaller festivals in a few years though. 

Cheers!

Helo Doctor Glasto.

I have done both. And....well, both have their pluses & minuses. Green Man is a lovely place. The setting is BEAUTIFUL. The 'vibe' is ultra friendly. The sound from all stages is great. There are a lot more choice of ales & ciders (as well as better food). However....it gets SO cold at night. And, if it rains even an inch, it turns into a quadmire. The line up, maybe, isnt as....'comprehensive' as others?!? 

Latitude, on the other hand...is a lovely place. There is ALWAYS something to see & do, be it one of the 6 music stages or theatre/comedy/cabaret/book readings/poetry/film & TV q&As & screenings/live art instalations/science etc etc. The weather is usually good, but even if it is raining, due to the nature of the ground (sandy) it copes with the wetness very well. IT is quite compact, so even though there is 3 times the stuff to do than GM, the site is around the same size id say. And its pretty (albeit not as pretty as GM) However......the food choice has been poor in recent years. ITs.....not exactly 'corporate' but you do notice more advertising around, which is a bit of a pisser. The vibe is good, but there is a faiur few 'hooray henrys' and kids who are smoking hteir first ever doobie & had their first can of cider, and it can get a bit mental at nights.....

They are BOTH great. I think i'd prefer Latitude, due to the amount of stuff to see. But Green Man IS lovely. And, you know, if you love a lot that is playing, its a LOVELY place to go to....

hope this helps.

Cheers @retromoz that is indeed very helpful :)

Hmmm, it's going to be a tough decision I think. We're very much into our ales/cider/good food and definitely not into the advertising/hooray henrys, but I do think the Latitude line-up has more to offer.

Location may help decide things a bit though mind - we're in Cardiff so Green Man is only up the road (forgot to mention this bit!).

I'm also a big Warpaint fan...

1 hour ago, Dr Glasto said:

Is there much going on after hours at Green Man?

Yeah a fair amount, they have well known DJs (eg: Jamie xx last year, Jon Hopkins 2013) who are still to be announced this year playing from about midnight to 3am, and then after that there's probably some bar/disco type things still open, although I've always been asleep by then ha. It does have a 24 hour license so it by no means closes down at night.

Other differences:

Obviously no other festival compares to Latitude literature/comedy wise.

Green Man has some of the best selection of alcohol anywhere, where as Latitude is sponsored by Tuborg etc so is limited to bigger brands.

Site is more compact at GM, it took me 1 minute to walk from I camped to the main stage,and it's 5 mins max between stages.  But compared to Glastonbury Latitude is small too.

For me music wise on average latitude is maybe a bit better, but it always worth doing your research with the small GM acts.

If you're in Cardiff I'd go to GM, you have to at least try it one year being so close!

Edited by Chawk

Ive done GM a few times but skipping it this year for latitude as I feel the line up is stronger (meets the needs of an old man and a teenager!) I'm having some misgivings as it is a lovely festival just down the road from where I live but looking forward to a change. It does get very cold at night but it coped ok with rain last year. Staff are really friendly and it's not so hard smuggling booze in.  It stays lively throughout the night but it's quite low key. I think If you've listened to the line up playlists and travel isn't an object id toss a coin!

I forgot about the 24hr license! Things 'close' at Latitude after 4am. ALSO....the comedy starts at 7pm-ish till 3am. Which meant, last time i went, after the headliners Neutral Milk Hotel on the sunday, you went to the comedy and watch Nick Helm & band ROCKING IT till 3. 

I think.....time will tell who was the true headliner. 'classic' alt indie rockers or One Man Megamyth Helm. I know which one I prefered. :)

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 3:58 PM, retromoz said:

However....it gets SO cold at night. And, if it rains even an inch, it turns into a quadmire. The line up, maybe, isnt as....'comprehensive' as others?!? 

Whilst it undeniably gets very  cold at night, I'm not sure I can agree that the quagmire comment is true anymore. I am very much a Green Man apologist, and have been to the last five, but since the 2012 mudbath (which was really terrible) they have made massive improvements that have had quite an impressive effect. We've had spells of torrential rain in 2015 and 2013 and the site got off very lightly. I don't think I have put my wellies on there since '12.

My two-cents worth is that I love this festival (obviously, having been five times). They have all the things you outlined at Latitude, but on a smaller scale (okay not any theatre, but comedy, cinema, poetry and literature). Line-up wise it doesn't have the heavy hitters that Latitude gets, or anything like it. But they do have canny bookers and have pulled off a fair few coups of their own over the years - perhaps not this year just yet (Grandaddy maybe?). I just wish they could have nicked one or two more this year.

It's a great vibe, and there's plenty to do after midnight (normally 4-5 areas going - Far Out, Comedy, Walled Garden (some sort of disco), Chai Wallahs and Cinema) and as has been mentioned, a 24 hour bar.

On 20/04/2016 at 11:08 PM, Aeroplane Over the Sea said:

Whilst it undeniably gets very  cold at night, I'm not sure I can agree that the quagmire comment is true anymore. I am very much a Green Man apologist, and have been to the last five, but since the 2012 mudbath (which was really terrible) they have made massive improvements that have had quite an impressive effect. We've had spells of torrential rain in 2015 and 2013 and the site got off very lightly. I don't think I have put my wellies on there since '12.

My two-cents worth is that I love this festival (obviously, having been five times). They have all the things you outlined at Latitude, but on a smaller scale (okay not any theatre, but comedy, cinema, poetry and literature). Line-up wise it doesn't have the heavy hitters that Latitude gets, or anything like it. But they do have canny bookers and have pulled off a fair few coups of their own over the years - perhaps not this year just yet (Grandaddy maybe?). I just wish they could have nicked one or two more this year.

It's a great vibe, and there's plenty to do after midnight (normally 4-5 areas going - Far Out, Comedy, Walled Garden (some sort of disco), Chai Wallahs and Cinema) and as has been mentioned, a 24 hour bar.

Aye last year the site was fine considering the heavy rain Saturday night, I conveniently skipper 2012 though. Imagine if they had got PJ Harvey and LCD this year, it'd surely be their best headliners ever.  I just thought... Portishead the final one? GM is Geoff Barrow's favourite festival and he's back with beak> this year. Although officially they're not even touring so maybe not. 

Or The Shins have new stuff out...which would it the most inoffensive group of headliners ever.

That would be a very strong final announcement... Don't they typically announce their strongest hand first? I can very much imagine GM going for Portishead though.

I had assumed that they missed out on their preferred options this year (the pair together would've been an incredible coup). I'm rather hoping for the Avett Brothers to get a decent slot. The tour fits, they went down a storm in 2011, and where the great Green Man in the Internet has dismissed suggestions of LCD and PJ Harvey, it has so far ignored my question on whether they will be there. No news is good news 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Aeroplane Over the Sea said:

You'll be pleased with EOTR getting them instead then :) 

I saw! I do like The Shins, and it's always cool to get a band outside of a standard touring cycle when they're not playing every festival , but if they were the final headliners at GM there'd be no one this I'd exactly get excited about. I'm looking forward to seeing Wild Beasts as a long time fan of theirs. Sort of the same with Belle & Sebastian, The Boy With The Arab Strap used to be one of my favourite songs but they've been around so much it doesn't feel like it will be a particularly special headline set. Last year I was pretty up for St Vincent and Leftfield, but the last GM headliner who I was looking forward to months in advance etc was Neutral Milk Hotel. With a band like NMH you know they're not going to back around next year, if ever, so that was really something special. I usually only see one headliner so that's all I'm looking for. 

I was really hoping Deerhunter would finally make it and headline Far Out this year, but I see they're in Japan on August 20th. Every year this happens!