Green Man Festival 2016

dirty_dog

This will be my first time to Green Man. I've been to Latitude quite a few times but always with someone. Unfortunately, I've been let down by the person I was intending on going with. I know Latitude has a dedicated camping area for lone people and wondered if GM has the same? Also I've noticed posts regarding different parking areas on this forum, I just ordered a parking ticket on line (I have a settler's ticket) and wondered how you know what you've got before it arrives? Thanks in advance for any info :)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ellamac said:

This will be my first time to Green Man. I've been to Latitude quite a few times but always with someone. Unfortunately, I've been let down by the person I was intending on going with. I know Latitude has a dedicated camping area for lone people and wondered if GM has the same? Also I've noticed posts regarding different parking areas on this forum, I just ordered a parking ticket on line (I have a settler's ticket) and wondered how you know what you've got before it arrives? Thanks in advance for any info :)

Don't think there's separate lone camping area but it's a really nice site and easy to find a spot to suit most needs. There are two car parks with blue being the closest to its relevant entrance but to be honest having parked on both, unless your pretty unfit, even the slightly less close car park is still a doddle compared with other festivals. I've just returned from my first Latitude and I reckon parking is slightly easier at GM - my daughter disagreed but then she wasn't carrying our worldly goods on her back! You normally buy parking tickets separately from camping but not sure how it works with settlers as never been lucky enough to do it. Enjoy! 

On 7/20/2016 at 8:03 PM, ellamac said:

Lot's of folk of all ages and genders go solo to Green Man ellamac, and I've never heard any of them regret it so you will not have a problem. In particular, going as a settler for the full week guarantees that you'll have made plenty of friends before the festival proper even starts.

While I've never done the Settler's ticket I think it includes car parking in the near (Blue) car park so you may not have needed that extra ticket which is certainly in the (slightly) further away one. Your best bet would be to check on the main Green Man forum. It's a bit of a well kept secret and I don't think management here like links to other forums being posted but if you go to the main greenman dot net site, and scroll down to near the bottom, you'll see a 'forum' link on the left hand side.

There's a settler's thread on there and I can personally vouch for the fact that the folk posting there are some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

Be sure to pop along to the full forum meet on the Thursday evening too (there's another thread for that) and you'll see many more lovely folk there B)

Edited by Suggestives

On 7/5/2016 at 5:24 PM, Joshuwarr said:

Tempted for Green Man this year. How would you best summarise it as a festival? I like the line up but want an idea of the sort of vibe. Is it good for late night partying or is the family aspect a bit too heavy for that sort of thing?

As an aged veteran I would say that Green Man is almost like two festivals in one and there is plenty of late-night partying at the Far Out tent and Chai Wallahs. It is however still predominately a fairly family-friendly daytime event so if your focus is the late-night partying, provided you can make it back to your tent reasonably quietly and sleep it off until the next night you'll have a blast and not upset anyone. If you prefer to carry on partying through the night at your tent you might feel out of place.

Edited by Suggestives

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:26 PM, glastobuds said:

Don't think there's separate lone camping area but it's a really nice site and easy to find a spot to suit most needs. There are two car parks with blue being the closest to its relevant entrance but to be honest having parked on both, unless your pretty unfit, even the slightly less close car park is still a doddle compared with other festivals. I've just returned from my first Latitude and I reckon parking is slightly easier at GM - my daughter disagreed but then she wasn't carrying our worldly goods on her back! You normally buy parking tickets separately from camping but not sure how it works with settlers as never been lucky enough to do it. Enjoy! 

Thank you Glastobuds...my ticket(s) arrived today along with a blue sticker which I'm guessing is my carpark ticket and tells me to go to the blue gate :). Really looking forward to it!

13 hours ago, Suggestives said:

Lot's of folk of all ages and genders go solo to Green Man ellamac, and I've never heard any of them regret it so you will not have a problem. In particular, going as a settler for the full week guarantees that you'll have made plenty of friends before the festival proper even starts.

While I've never done the Settler's ticket I think it includes car parking in the near (Blue) car park so you may not have needed that extra ticket which is certainly in the (slightly) further away one. Your best bet would be to check on the main Green Man forum. It's a bit of a well kept secret and I don't think management here like links to other forums being posted but if you go to the main greenman dot net site, and scroll down to near the bottom, you'll see a 'forum' link on the left hand side.

There's a settler's thread on there and I can personally vouch for the fact that the folk posting there are some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

Be sure to pop along to the full forum meet on the Thursday evening too (there's another thread for that) and you'll see many more lovely folk there B)

Thanks for all the useful tips Suggestives. I will definitely look into the forums as you suggest. My ticket arrived today with blue sticker which I'm guessing is my carpark ticket. I'm really looking forward to going and you've certainly put my mind at rest about going solo :D

On 18/07/2016 at 7:07 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The saga is reaching the inevitable conclusion it was always going to arrive at; I'm looking at my bank account and doing my sums, with the intention of getting a ticket tonight.

Did you get one in the end?  I'm applying for stewarding later, I think. 

Any recommendations line up wise? I've done zero research this year, but would like to see: Laura Marling, Grandaddy, Wild Beasts, Julia Holter, White Denim, Fat Whites, Ezra Furman , UMO, Floating Points, Kamasi W, Cate Le bon, King Gizzard, Beak, Genghar, Kevin Morby, Vessels , Ryley Walker. Palace Winter

So it's the small guys I'm mostly missing. 

47 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Any recommendations line up wise? I've done zero research this year, but would like to see: Laura Marling, Grandaddy, Wild Beasts, Julia Holter, White Denim, Fat Whites, Ezra Furman , UMO, Floating Points, Kamasi W, Cate Le bon, King Gizzard, Beak, Genghar, Kevin Morby, Vessels , Ryley Walker. Palace Winter

So it's the small guys I'm mostly missing. 

Yep, got my tickets, I'm going :) 

Get onto Haiku Salut and Factory Floor post haste! I really recommend going to watch James Blake as well, never been that interested, but I went along to his Glastonbury set and it was astounding.

On 26 July 2016 at 8:43 PM, Chawk said:

That's a pretty fine list so far.

I'd throw in recommendations for - 

Black Peaches, Steven James Adams, Jason Isbell, Ryley Walker, All Them Witches, Meilyr Jones, Phil Cook, The Membranes, HMS MorrisCowbois Rhos Botwnnog

On 26/07/2016 at 9:32 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Get onto Haiku Salut and Factory Floor post haste! I really recommend going to watch James Blake as well, never been that interested, but I went along to his Glastonbury set and it was astounding.

Cheers, listening to Haiku Salut now- sounds good, very meditative. I really liked James Blake's first album, and saw him twice in 2011, but something was missing with his 2nd album for me. I'll listen to the new one anyway, and will probably see him if I'm not working, as I'm not bothered about Lush (poor man's Slowdive) and seen Kiran Leonard twice too. Will check Factory Floor too, see they have a new album coming out. 

On 28/07/2016 at 4:03 PM, Suggestives said:

That's a pretty fine list so far.

I'd throw in recommendations for - 

Black Peaches, Steven James Adams, Jason Isbell, Ryley Walker, All Them Witches, Meilyr Jones, Phil Cook, The Membranes, HMS MorrisCowbois Rhos Botwnnog

Thanks, haven't heard of any of these (except Ryley, who was great last year), will get round to them.

The Walled Garden is pretty mish-mash this time around; most of the headliners and subs are weak compared to last year. The daytime for Saturday is pretty good though. I was looking at last years line up and realised what a good booking AURORA looks now. Having played early on Sunday last year she's got pretty internationally big now. 

The problem is every year the people I see at GM then become who I listen to for most the next year, so every previous year looks stronger, until I get home from the upcoming one.

Edited by Chawk

23 hours ago, Chawk said:

The problem is every year the people I see at GM then become who I listen to for most the next year, so every previous year looks stronger, until I get home from the upcoming one.

I know what you mean. GM has been my main musical education for the past decade.

I'd become lazy and disinterested in new music for a long time until in 2007 a mate told be that Robert Plant was playing at a small festival in Wales. I think i knew no more than three of the other acts on the bill but I fell in love with the festival and have been back every year since. 

Aurora was indeed a highlight last year. She was so pleased to see a decent turn out on a for a damp weather early set. Also Wave Pictures who told us that we should all be watching Television on the Mountain stage instead. Perhaps we should have been, but I just couldn't ever miss an opportunity to see them.

Personally I think the line-up is weaker this year compared with the last couple, but there's plenty to keep me interested and I'll get the chance to see some of the cinema / comedy / literature stuff that I rarely get to experience.

• 3 weeks later...

In the car on the way home from Green Man - was my first time there. What a fucking wonderful festival! Comfortably the best curated festival that I've been to, it's almost like they didn't book a bad act. Even the stuff i've never even heard of was top notch.

Seems to have everything I want in a festival in a rather petite size. Great food, friendly yet mixed crowd, incredible music, loads of different areas. I shall return. 

First time attending Green Man and it was great. Very relaxed - the security were pretty much invisible (I imagine next year they might step things up a bit around the stages at least, after what happened with Belle & Sebastian); very manageable site to get around; some great food; and I loved those stack cups (why on earth don't more festivals use them?). You can tell that a lot of care goes into the festival.

Some of the smallest crowds I've ever seen watching bands at a festival though, which was convenient at times but quite strange at others.

Top 5 acts of the weekend - Belle & Sebastian / Fat White Family / Trader Horne / Charlotte Church's Pop Dungeon / Songhoy Blues

Biggest Disappointment - Laura Marling (The songs themselves sounded good, but the big screens were off, there was minimal interaction with the crowd, no encore, and she finished 10 minutes early. Didn't anyone tell her she was supposed to be the headliner?)

Will definitely go back.

Also big up to the guy who handed my phone in to lost property after I lost it. First time I've taken my actual day to day phone to a festival, despite never losing one in 20-odd festivals, so of course I dropped it somewhere on the Friday night. About 5 minutes after I realised it was missing on the Saturday morning, my mate gets a call telling him it had been found and was being handed into the lost property tent. If you happen to read this Thomas, thanks again!

On 8/16/2016 at 11:16 PM, Chawk said:

Just seen there's 'special guests' on Sunday night on Far Out (After Dark)...wonder who that is....probably end up being 2 Bears (again).. or some incarnation of Hot Chip

It was DJ Yoda. Seeing as he'd already announced it a week ago (I only saw this because Green Man actually re-tweeted it), I was a bit bemused by labelling him as 'special guests'.

This festival is the fucking tits yo. I was mighty impressed with how well they expanded it since last year, the new layout around the back end of the arena worked much better, the Green Man himself looked much more at home there. Food seems to have come on incredibly, last year was great, this year I was completely spoiled for choice, I wish I could have had 2 more days to eat my way through the stalls I didn't get around to. The bars again were incredible; people will bring their own drink in however much you search them, so having good bars and no searches is the perfect way to play it. I had a few beers which were quite nice, but the rum bar was the real main event, and I took the coffee place up on their offer of booze + coffee before Laura Marling as well. Weather was a bit miserable, but not really much can be done about that, you win some you lose some. Green Man attendees have got to be the most laid-back motherfuckers in all the world, lovely crowds and great atmosphere everywhere. 

Best bands;
5. Warpaint
4. Floating Points
3. Deep Throat Choir
2. Kamasi Washington
1. Haiku Salut

Nipping back in to mention how there's always something insanely fun happening in Chai Wallas whenever you pop your head in. Also the wonderful comic timing of Stuart Murdock realising the stage invasion had got out out hand right before the lyrics "The crowds are assembled, do you ever feel you've gone too far?". And lastly Sarah Neufeld to play the Walled Garden next year please!

4 hours ago, Vacant0 said:

I imagine next year they might step things up a bit around the stages at least, after what happened with Belle & Sebastian);

What did happen?  We left before they came on.  

It's good to hear all the happy people on here - as a festival it didn't quite do it for  us but we still can't work out why (apart from the camping chairs and picnic blankets in the tents - Chai Wallahs in particular).  Will probably give it a go again next year because I can see all the positives and maybe it was just that our mindset wasn't quite right for it.  

30 minutes ago, mandolin said:

What did happen?  We left before they came on.  

Their "invite a few members of the audience on-stage" bit snowballed into hundreds of teenagers occupying every square inch of stage. Fair play to the organisers and security, who let them finish the song and calmly ushered them all off, a lot of places would have cut the song and had loads of big bouncers throwing people around.

6 hours ago, Vacant0 said:

It was DJ Yoda. Seeing as he'd already announced it a week ago (I only saw this because Green Man actually re-tweeted it), I was a bit bemused by labelling him as 'special guests'.

Yeah GM actually announced it themselves 2 weeks ago https://www.instagram.com/p/BIvPmnbgmvE/. I realised it was them once I saw they weren't listed in the program anywhere

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Their "invite a few members of the audience on-stage" bit snowballed into hundreds of teenagers occupying every square inch of stage. Fair play to the organisers and security, who let them finish the song and calmly ushered them all off, a lot of places would have cut the song and had loads of big bouncers throwing people around.

Difficult to do when they only seemed to have about two of them. A security guy did attempt to stop more people coming on when it began to escalate but clearly gave up. Fair play though, it was handled really, really well by the security that were there, as well as the band. It could have gone extremely badly somewhere else.

I've attached a photo below which shows just how many people were up there.

IMG_20160821_233504.jpg

Best bits:

• Walked right up to the front for most of the bands I wanted to see
  • MeatRaffle - mad
  • The Unthanks - moving
  • Grandaddy - massive
  • Tindersticks - measured
  • Camping facilities location and general atmosphere were wonderful.
  • Beer and food 
  • Chai Wallahs
  • The whole place is left immaculate by most of the punters - I dont know how they achieve the general goodwill but it is evident in the way people look after the site

Worst (nothing serious it was mostly a wonderful weekend):

• Julia Holter finished early citing damp instruments...
  • Laura Marling also ended early without explanation
  • Some bands (to remain nameless) were just, err, a bit rubbish
  • I didn't make it to see Fat Whites - yet again

The weather wasn't too bad, it didnt muddy up and most evenings were largely dry. We all agreed we will go again and camp for the full week.

Edited by scrippit
sp