Rugby World Cup 2015

zero000

Bit late with this thread, but never mind. Who does everyone have as the favourite? I really think Australia might sneak it this year.

England were very fortunate yesterday too, a lot of favourable decisions by the officials, but that's home advantage for you.

I to think Australia as well to win it as a have a gut feeling that England might blow it but i hopfully I am wrong.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a bit of a smash and grab by wales, but having seen my football team lose in a similar way, I think its only fair!

I don't think england did a lot wrong, they would have won the game 9/10 times from that situation. These things happen in sport, you scratch your head when you lose, don't care if you win. England have a good squad and rarely lose at home. I have to admit however I find the lancaster/robshaw about as uninspiring a coach/captain combination as you get.

As for wales, I fear injuries will take their toll. If we could raise our game it was going to be for that game, but wouldn't be shocked if we lose the next 2.

Just been looking at the tables & it would appear that you can lose & still get 2 points - South Africa got 2 bonus points in their defeat against Japan for losing by less than 7 points and  for scoring 4 tries.

So you can lose & get the same points as you would for drawing. Am I the only one who thinks that's bonkers?

I'm not so sure it was the wrong decision. That penalty was no way a gimme - and if he'dhave missed, would we have had time to get back up there for another chance.

What was wrong was the shambles of a lineout that followed.

Not a huge fan of the rugby but tuned in last night. Great atmosphere / spectacle and thought England were a bit unfortunate. I have cousins in Cardiff so was happy for them. Would have been a top night in Wales last night  :)

I thought England should have went for the draw and stopped ( in theory ) Wales getting the points.

Anywayz....came on here to ask what the story is with the kickers from both teams. What`s all the weird shit about ? In fairness, I never saw them miss much ( hence the reason I think England should have went for the 3 points ) but what`s with the crazy twitchy weird stuff ?

Don`t remember Andy Irvine doing all that stuff back in the day. That eye thing one of them was doing was hilarious.

Was at Elland Road today for the Scotland vs USA game.  Great atmosphere too and it was my 2 kids 1st match and they loved it too.  Have to say I was somewhat worried at halftime as we were poor in the 1st half (though there was some poor refereeing too) but Vern obviously put a rocket up them at half time and was a much better 2nd half.  Especially as we had great seats behind the posts to see the tries go over.

Its a bit of a smash and grab by wales, but having seen my football team lose in a similar way, I think its only fair!

I don't think england did a lot wrong, they would have won the game 9/10 times from that situation. These things happen in sport, you scratch your head when you lose, don't care if you win. England have a good squad and rarely lose at home. I have to admit however I find the lancaster/robshaw about as uninspiring a coach/captain combination as you get.

As for wales, I fear injuries will take their toll. If we could raise our game it was going to be for that game, but wouldn't be shocked if we lose the next 2.

I think Robshaw by his in game choices and Lancaster with his use of substitutes lost that game for England rather than Wales winning it. Although I would say that as an arrogant Englishman.

I really can't see Wales losing to Fiji in Cardiff even with the injuries they have.

That really was a wake up call for England. Wales performed like Spartans (apart from getting injured). Dan Biggar and Talupe Faletau take a bow, two phenomenal Welsh players on Saturday.

England seemed to have entered this World Cup taking for granted the fact that they need to get basics and discipline together, before aiming for the fancy stuff. They clearly weren't ruthless enough in my opinion. They have been living in a bit of a 'dreamworld' at Pennyhill Park it seems. If they get knocked out at the pool stages, it's just gunna be embarrassing and utterly humiliating for Lancaster and co.

That really was a wake up call for England. Wales performed like Spartans (apart from getting injured). Dan Biggar and Talupe Faletau take a bow, two phenomenal Welsh players on Saturday.

England seemed to have entered this World Cup taking for granted the fact that they need to get basics and discipline together, before aiming for the fancy stuff. They clearly weren't ruthless enough in my opinion. They have been living in a bit of a 'dreamworld' at Pennyhill Park it seems. If they get knocked out at the pool stages, it's just gunna be embarrassing and utterly humiliating for Lancaster and co.

Opinions eh.

I don't think England have taken anything for granted. More nerves and the fact they're not the best team in the world. Suggesting otherwise does Wales a disservice too.

I think Robshaw by his in game choices and Lancaster with his use of substitutes lost that game for England rather than Wales winning it. Although I would say that as an arrogant Englishman.

With the injuries Wales had and people playing out of position they were never going to dominate the game. They did well to stick with the game. While I agree that England only had themselves to blame, the kick to set up the Welsh try was fantastic vision.

What made the Robshaw decision more baffling to me, was the fact England had the bonus points against Fiji (which Australia didn't and a good chance Wales wont) so England were unlikely to finish below Wales with a draw.

I will admit that Im not a rugby expert, but Robshaw and Lancaster have never impressed me. Maybe Im unfairly comparing themselves with their predecessors, but both come across as lightweights. I haven't been hugely impressed with Robshaw as a player, theres nothing stand out about his captaincy. As for Lancaster I cant help but think about the Gareth Southgate phrase about wanting Churchill and getting Ian Duncan Smith. They may surprise me and take England to world cup glory, but that has always been my instinct. Do you rate the pair?

Opinions eh.

I don't think England have taken anything for granted. More nerves and the fact they're not the best team in the world. Suggesting otherwise does Wales a disservice too.

I think some people expected England to roll over Wales. However when you think back to the England world cup winning team (much better than the current one) they were generally having pretty tight games in that tournament.

While they are generally strong at home and more consistent against southern hemisphere teams, they havent been able to win the 6 nations in recent years. However when you consider a worse France team nearly won the last world cup, if luck is on their side you cant count the English out.

Edited by pink_triangle

Wales looked shot in that second half, its a pity they couldn't have had the Uruguay game there instead to refresh. Its interesting that the BBC headline was Wales close in on quarter final, as if England V Australia and Wales V Australia go the way the bookmakers expect, Wales will almost certainly be out. I cant see this Wales squad beating Australia so will hope (but don't expect) they do us a favour against England.

Wales looked shot in that second half, its a pity they couldn't have had the Uruguay game there instead to refresh. Its interesting that the BBC headline was Wales close in on quarter final, as if England V Australia and Wales V Australia go the way the bookmakers expect, Wales will almost certainly be out. I cant see this Wales squad beating Australia so will hope (but don't expect) they do us a favour against England.

Bookies didn't expect Wales to beat England ;)

Eng and Aus are the favourites, but its quite plausible that Aus could beat England and Wales go through with them. Welsh were always going to be tired today, nervy too I suspect.

Bookies didn't expect Wales to beat England ;)

Eng and Aus are the favourites, but its quite plausible that Aus could beat England and Wales go through with them. Welsh were always going to be tired today, nervy too I suspect.

I just checked the quarter final brackets and if we do make it thorough we could end up playing Scotland in the quarters. Having a Scottish girlfriend that could be a very uncomfortable game for me, Im not sure our squad has another win left in it!

Not really - more to do with the money placed on England.

You reckon? Still think England - at home - were massive favourites. Even before Wales' injuries. 

I just checked the quarter final brackets and if we do make it thorough we could end up playing Scotland in the quarters. Having a Scottish girlfriend that could be a very uncomfortable game for me, Im not sure our squad has another win left in it!

Wow, that could be pretty fantastic! Wales were underwhelming today, decent rest now though before Australia.