Bestival 2016 Headliners?

jackarmy

15 hours ago, Circus-Freak said:

Richie Hawtin is doing something 'special' in Big Top.

Eskimo Dance takeover the big top on Friday night and Leftfield have been announced as Saturday night in the Big Top. So maybe they are the 3 headliners?

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without having done much digging yet, this is what we know about day/stage splits so far:

MAIN STAGE
Friday: Major Lazer, Skepta, Damien "Jr Gong" Marley
Saturday: The Cure, Ride, Wolf Alice
Sunday: headliner TBC, Years and Years
unconfirmed day: Caravan Palace, Craig David's TS5

BIG TOP
Thursday: Hot Chip
Friday: Eskimo Dance takeover
Saturday: Leftfield
Sunday: Hospitality takeover
unconfirmed day: Richie Hawtin

SPACEPORT
Friday: Diplo
Saturday: Carl Cox
Sunday: Fatboy Slim
unconfirmed day: Barely Legal, Benji B, Destructo, DJ Yoda, Dub Pistols Soundsystem, Eats Everything, The Heatwave, James Zabiela, Kenton Slash Demon, Klose One, Mella Dee, Mount Kimbie, Mumbai Science, Norman Jay MBE, NRG Flash, OneMan b2b My Nu Leng, Purple Rave, Riton, Rob da Bank, Sink the Pink takeover, Skream

TEMPLE ISLAND
Thursday: Artwork, Greco-Roman takeover, Moxie
Friday: Bodhi's Roots takeover, Avlon Emerson, Mant, Icarus, Hodgson, Talk&Smoke, Brothers Black
Saturday: OneMan b2b My Nu Leng, Goldie, Aled Jones & Rob da Bank, Ed Solo, Annie Nightingale, Iglooghost, Kiko Bun, Siobhan Bell, Jamz Supernova
Sunday: MJ Cole, Shadow Child, Juicebox takeover, GotSome, Hadda

INVADERS OF THE FUTURE
unconfirmed day: All This Noise, Asylums, Black Honey, Born ina Barn, Clean Cut Kid, Coco, Creeper, Danny L Harle, Eska, Fatherson, Fickle Friends, Girli, The Greasy Slicks, Haelos, HInda, The Japanese House, JP Cooper, K.Flay, L.A. Salami, Louis Berry, Milk Teeth, Moose Blood, PC Music All Stars, Pinegrove, Pretty Vicious, Pip, Rationale, Royce Wood Junior, The Sherlocks, Spring King, Stompy's Playground, Subgiant, Sunflower Bean, Will Varley, The Wytches, Vant, Xochka, Zibra

UNCONFIRMED STAGE
Sunday: Bastille

Edited by smogo

On 24 May 2016 at 4:13 PM, smogo said:

So it's often said; I don't think it's true though. Unless he was officially billed as a joint headliner with Basement Jaxx in year one (they played on the same day, I believe).

Just saw this on the Fatboy Slim profile on the Bestival website:

He’s headlined the main stage (twice)

Edited by Homer

been to Isle of Wight festival this weekend , first time since 2007. Boy, what a difference! No atmosphere, sound bleeds everywhere. Nothing happens between 2am and 2pm. All I can say is it's like a huge outdoor pub, with a few screechy bands on. People just stood around. Faithless had no energy to them, the who were just loud and flat. I wanted to leave today but my mrs really wants to see the Queen tribute act on tonight.

plus side, tangerine fields is great. Staff are amazing, toilets kept amazingly clean and no queueing for food

Yeah I went to Wild Life yesterday, it's just one of those basic "some stages in a field" festivals and I'm sure the lack of love and creativity and quirkiness contributed to the lack of smiling faces in the crowd. Too many people just standing around chatting to each other, even right down the front of the main stage, even while Skepta was on FFS! It was obvious that both he and Busta Rhymes (who was excellent) were really frustrated by the lack of enthusiasm and attention they were being paid. And I blame the organisers for their "We'll give you music but nothing else" attitude to putting on a festival. The vibe couldn't have been more different than Bestival's.

That said, the Supercharged arena was really cleverly designed to feel very tall and narrow, as if you were raving in a church. One of the best big top-style arrangements I've ever seen.

On 6/12/2016 at 10:38 AM, smogo said:

That said, the Supercharged arena was really cleverly designed to feel very tall and narrow, as if you were raving in a church. One of the best big top-style arrangements I've ever seen.

Sounds ace. Any photos?

Also... Besti headliner next week?

What can we speculate about the Sunday headliner being so late now? 

Could it be that Rob has lots of new ventures now. Maybe a lot of headline type acts don't see bestival as a major festival? Or am I thinking too much about it.

To be honest, I'm not even bothered about the headliners, just got to me last year and this because of how late in the year it is/was.

It's really not that unusual for the last headliner to be announced quite late.  Björk (2011) was announced on 30th June, and yes Missy Elliott (2015) on 24th June.  But if it's true that Prince was all but booked, then obviously the whole process of booking this year's Sunday headliner would only have started less than 8 weeks ago.

4 hours ago, smogo said:

It's really not that unusual for the last headliner to be announced quite late.  Björk (2011) was announced on 30th June, and yes Missy Elliott (2015) on 24th June.  But if it's true that Prince was all but booked, then obviously the whole process of booking this year's Sunday headliner would only have started less than 8 weeks ago.

Like I said earlier in the thread though unless Prince had signed a contract to say he'd headline then the point is irrelevant, Rob knows what Prince was like so not having a back up is just awful planning all round. (Assuming that's what's happened of course) 

You can't just "have a backup" when you're dealing with acts who command in excess of half a million quid and have diaries that get filled up. How can you ask a headline-sized artist to put their plans on hold in case someone else doesn't work out?

14 hours ago, smogo said:

You can't just "have a backup" when you're dealing with acts who command in excess of half a million quid and have diaries that get filled up. How can you ask a headline-sized artist to put their plans on hold in case someone else doesn't work out?

That's not quite what I meant but ok, it's not uncommon for a festival to be in negotiations with several large acts at a time. Putting all your eggs in one basket as it were, is not a good way of doing business- especially with someone who was as hard to tie down as Prince.

11 minutes ago, Circus-Freak said:

Yep, I said that ;) 

Why dont you think they are a headline act?

I would of thought with there status, back catalogue and still playing arenas they would be a justified headliner.

Edited by thetime

Because personally, when I saw them live, I knew the songs sure, and we had a little sing song. But it felt like I was in a pub, watching a cover band.

I think they are a cheap option. You're a fan, fair enough. I'm not. That's what subjective means. 

Im a huge fan of Sebastien Tellier. He has a huge back log, worked with hundreds of musicians. He writes fantastic songs for fun, and plays many instruments. He is super talented, and would be super happy if he was to headline any night at bestival. But you might not agree. Horses for courses.

Cue more down votes :D 

Edited by Circus-Freak

I don't like the Cure myself, but they've got a HUGE and very dedicated fanbase. My wife's currently in New York with a bunch of her mates, to watch them at Madison Square Gardens TWICE, and she's seeing them another ten or so times around Europe later this year.

So yeah, definitely headliner-worthy.