2016 Wishlist

Nick07

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weird, and probably quite telling, to see people going nuts about the announcement on Twitter, then come here and find everyone's selling their ticket. And Bat For Lashes is no less obvious a headliner than, say, Wild Beasts or Beach House - far more so if anything, she gets huge press attention, her last two albums peaked at 5 and 6, and presumably she'll have a new one out before September.

Hard Skin!

I looked at the line up in full, for an initial announcement this is pretty strong and I'm preeety sure Bat For Lashes is bigger than War On Drugs and even Tame Impala in this country...... Sufjan if you talk broad appeal (though not to this audience obviously) just think because it's been a while people have forgotten how successful her last album was, it did rather well if I recall.

I'm loving this line up so far!

Got a lot of love for Animal Collective and haven't seen them live before (although I have tickets for the shepherd's bush show)

Beta Band are one of my favourite bands so it'll be good to see Steve Mason

I loved loved the last Goat album

Phosphorescent will be lush

Joanna Newsome is incredible too.

Plus there's loads of new stuff to get my teeth into too!

Edited by lamstonite

17 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

But I did feel I had to post to say that AnCo are a truly incredible band. Their stuff is complex, experimental at times and not always accessible. It's also not always great. But when it is, OMG.

I would have thought I could trust you to like them....

(hope you are well, cheers, Woody)

I was very impressed listening to Sunflower Bean last night. They are good. Less so Dilly Dally (imagine a smacked-up Courtney Love singing over Pixies tunes), but they are noisy and are supposed to be the band to see live at the moment. Probably one for late night in the Big Top.

I've put the whole lot onto a Spotify playlist and am shuffling it. Dr Dog have come up A LOT. From the stuff I wasn't familiar with before, I am enjoying Dawn Landes. Not so keen on Kath Bloom. Weaves sounded good as well.

Might have to start focusing on individual artists rather than just letting it all just sink in.

I like this initial line-up as there's loads of artists totally new to me, which is what I love about EOTR, rather than the headliners. That said, I missed Joanne Newsome in 2011 and the autumn tour.  At the polar extreme, Martha were a glorious punky blast at the Christmas show (even more than Joanna Gruesome), so that's two unmissables for me.  Some confirmation there'll be enough real ale this year would be welcome though.

Stoked with this 1st announcement and i personally tend to get more excited once the later ones are made.  Missed Newsome in '11 so this will make up for that.  Seen Cat Power a bunch of times and thankfully never witnessed a break-down so hopefully that run will continue!  Already in love with the likes of Devendra, Phosphorescent, Jeffrey Lewis, M Ward (M fucking Ward!!!) but also feeling the vibes for The Big Moon, Amber Arcades, Dilly Dally and Holly Macve.

It's looking good!

Underwhelmed is my initial reaction.

Phosphorescent are the only band I know/love/own anything by, them being an EOTR discovery.

However, the years have taught me that EoTR often throws up complete unknowns that I go on to love - Peter Matthew Bauer was last year's gem. So I will roll with it and see what Spotify has to offer me to get into some of these (or out of!). We are going with our son who will be 18 months by then - if I'm honest I'll probably relieved that it's not a line-up full of must-sees for me, otherwise I'd be frustrated at not being able to get around the site to see everything, we can do a few acts and spend the rest enjoying the non-musical gems that EoTR throws up. Let's face it, it's better than being at work, right!? :-)  

I'm probably reeling from the Reading festival line-up being poor (it's walking distance from home for me, so am an ever present), so what is usually two awesome festivals in one week is currently a tad 'meh!'  

15 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Weird, and probably quite telling, to see people going nuts about the announcement on Twitter, then come here and find everyone's selling their ticket. And Bat For Lashes is no less obvious a headliner than, say, Wild Beasts or Beach House - far more so if anything, she gets huge press attention, her last two albums peaked at 5 and 6, and presumably she'll have a new one out before September.

Hard Skin!

I havent contributed here for a few years. Mainly because I thought it had been shut down and I missed 13 & 14 much to my regret later. Bounced back last year and remembered why I loved it so much. I also noticed that the reaction here seems more down than FB and Twitter. 

I've always struggled with AnCo as well but will persevere. As for the rest, I've already discovered some gems to follow up on. Dr Dog, Dawn Landes, Martha Ffion, Martha, Holly Macve, Lail Arad plus those that I already know I like, such as Phosphorescent, M. Ward and Devendra Banhart. Bearing in mind that this isn't even half the total number of acts, it once again bodes well for a great musical weekend. 

We have this discussion about repeat bookings every year. The big ones this year being Joanna, M Ward and Phosporescent, but the last time they all played was 5 years ago. Jeffrey Lewis was 4 years ago, Steve Mason never showed up when he was supposed to before.

I never see it as a problem. When you're booking close to 100 acts every year, it's going to be incredibly difficult to avoid repeats. A repeat headliner is surprising, but no-one batted an eyelid when Yo La Tengo headlined for a second time in 2010, maybe because they're not such an "Marmite" artist as Joanna.

Anyway, no negativity here, still think this is a really strong initial announcement and I am chuffed with Newsom and AnCo as headliners.

i understand its difficult to avoid repeats. but festivals are expensive plûs travel. all adds up to a lot of money. its just a personal thing i dont want to want to watch repeat booking. i would much prefer to see bands who have not played before. 

obviously there are a lot of people who do not mind repeats and i would think im not the only one who gets a bit frustrated .each to there own. 

that said im over the moon with animal collective playing

Being 'unique' does not equate with no repeat headliners! It is debatable whether EOTR is truly unique as an experience but it has unique features which makes me happy - good ale, great camping, like-minded folk, beautiful venue, the best toilets - but what Simon was trying to say is that it is perhaps unique (more likely a leader) in offering headline slots to acts which wouldn't get the chance in similar sized festivals - Sufjan, No Other Band, Beach House, Bat For Lashes - that's what excites me about EOTR and brings me back. Booking Joanna isn't lazy it's part of what EOTR does - mix genres, promote individuality and offer variety - and she has just had her most successful album and tour. You can only book what is on offer and though these headliners are not the biggest or best they are what EOTR is - musically brilliant, innovative and different - and that makes me happy! 

Talk about repeats - Rumours for Glastonbury are Muse, Radiohead, Coldplay - they would die for an equivalent Joanna or Animal Collective. I'm just glad i will see acts I think I will enjoy but haven't seen before.

my festival partner hates this first announcement but you know so what I'll go alone and discover things I've not heard or seen before. Line ups appeal to some and not to others but I'm glad Simon and the EOTR team year after year pull surprises out of their animal heads. 

Without EOTR I wouldn't have made friends with John Murry, wouldn't have fallen in love with Tindersticks, wouldn't be championing John Grant or be bed-wet tingly excited to see White Denim on Monday - I'd heard of none of these before discovering them at EOTR. This announcement excited me even before I've discovered  my next unheard of gem.

Thanks Simon and the team - you just keep offering up surprises and I will keep turning up to enjoy the magic - a headlining harp - who'd have thought?

Yes quite right, for me it's usually been a case of "never mind the headliners, get stuck into the rest of it and see who you can discover. It's been a rare bonus to like a Woods Stage headliner, but I know the overall principle of the festival is going to deliver quality, a great weekend, and a few good surprises. I don't think I've ever walked away from one of the stages thinking "that was sh*t"... oh, hold on... The Low Anthem, Explosions in the Sky and The Fall... but again, rare!

Edited by paulwa

I rarely bother with headliners, certainly not on the Woods stage, much too crowded and festivally for me. I'm not bothered about the headliners this year, but the of the others, I'm chuffed about the ones I know about, and of the ones I don't know about.........Dr Dog are already on my must see list.

If they don't announce bigger names, hopefully, there will be fewer festival lovers in fancy dress and more music lovers in anoraks

@bennyhana22 I just listened to Merriweather Post Pavilion. I nearly had to stop at track one. Please don't make me listen to it again. I promise to be good. I promise to stay well away from the Woods Stage. I even promise to be a better husband and father, but please don't make me listen to that again! (a good Guantanamo album surely?).

On a brighter note, today's research shows that Dr. Dog are OK and Weaves go onto the must-see list with Sunflower Bean.