2016 Wishlist

Nick07

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It often does change complection after the second announcement, but either way it's always good whatever the bill. I didn't go in 2013 and still haven't recovered from missing out on one of the highlights of every year. Aside from the music, we all know that they get pretty much everything darned right in terms of putting on an event.

1 minute ago, paulwa said:

It often does change complection after the second announcement, but either way it's always good whatever the bill. I didn't go in 2013 and still haven't recovered from missing out on one of the highlights of every year. Aside from the music, we all know that they get pretty much everything darned right in terms of putting on an event.

I think they have become lazy myself. Not much has changed and the headliners kind of back up that point. 

Or maybe they blew the budget for the 10th anniversary last year and now need to budget more sensibly. The festival certainly has a 'formula for success', so I'm not sure I'd want it to change all that much. I wish they had shown bigger ambition with the main headliners though... PJ, The National, Radiohead, Beck, etc.

Edited by paulwa

2 hours ago, paulwa said:

Are we sure that they're all necessarily Woods Stage headliners... maybe some will headline the Garden Stage? I'm sure that's happened before, when additional headliners are announced later.

I just remembered, this happened when the Gene Clark No Other Band were announced as headliners, but then played on the Garden Stage. So maybe there's yet scope for bigger to come this year.

4 minutes ago, paulwa said:

Or maybe they blew the budget for the 10th anniversary last year and now need to budget more sensibly. The festival certainly has a 'formula for success', so I'm not sure I'd want it to change all that much. I wish they had shown bigger ambition with the main headliners though... PJ, The National, Radiohead, Beck, etc.

That's contradictory though. 

You say they possibly blew the budget then list Radiohead who who cost 500k and are headlining massive festivals so no chance. 

The other three are possibilities tho 

7 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

That's contradictory though. 

You say they possibly blew the budget then list Radiohead who who cost 500k and are headlining massive festivals so no chance. 

The other three are possibilities tho 

I'm merely questioning/wishing out loud. All I'm saying is I wish they had more budget or the will to stretch themselves. They obviously do have to operate to a budget, hence we get a lot of middle-ish acts on the Woods Stage, but they have shown that they can 'go big' on occasion too... Sufjan, Tame Impala, Flaming Lips.

Just listening to Animal Collective on Spotify and it's bloody awful.

Edited by paulwa

2 minutes ago, paulwa said:

I'm merely questioning out loud. All I'm saying is I wish they had more budget or the will to stretch themselves. They obviously do have to operate to a budget, hence we get a lot of middle-ish acts on the Woods Stage, but they have shown that they can 'go big' on occasion too... Sufjan, Tame Impala, Flaming Lips.

Tour schedules play a part too but they have a repeat headliner and an act arguably not big or good enough to headline either stage. 

19 minutes ago, paulwa said:

I'm merely questioning/wishing out loud. All I'm saying is I wish they had more budget or the will to stretch themselves. They obviously do have to operate to a budget, hence we get a lot of middle-ish acts on the Woods Stage, but they have shown that they can 'go big' on occasion too... Sufjan, Tame Impala, Flaming Lips.

Just listening to Animal Collective on Spotify and it's bloody awful.

Hi Paul

I haven't been on the EOTR forum for ages, but pop in to have a read from time to time, as I very much enjoyed going to the festival a few times a few years ago.

I remember not always aligning myself with your thoughts on previous years' line-ups! But I did feel I had to post to say that AnCo are a truly incredible band. Their stuff is complex, experimental at times and not always accessible. It's also not always great. But when it is, OMG.

Listen to Merriweather Post Pavilion in its entirety five times. Then reflect. Then post on them again, Then be excited about them being on your must-see list at EOTR 2016.

Today's undercard announcement was less impressive for me cf. to previous years (not that I'm going, but...). But you've got two phenomenal headliners in one announcement (with JN) and if I was going, I'd be tickled pink.

:)

Ben

Cheers Ben, I will give Merriweather a go, to do it justice, but as you said... fairly inaccessable on first listen. Like a modern take on the worst excesses of The Beach Boys for me. I'm not even sure that all the musicians are playing the same song at once ;-) It might just be too clever for my simple tastes. I really like what I'm hearing from Devendra Banhart right now. One of those I'd been aware of on the periphery but never got around to.

For anyone like me, who already has a ticket, or is wondering whether to bother, this playlist should help with your band research. I copied the popular tracks for each artist from Spotify into one playlist. Joanna Newsom doesn't seem to allow her stuff onto such services.

Hmm bit underwhelming today but plenty of time. This will be my first time since EOTR 2 & 3, hope it still has the magic.

I always thought Spiritualized would make a great headliner there. Yo La Tengo were awesome on the Friday night last time I went, are they still knocking about? Needs something of that ilk really

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hi Paul

I haven't been on the EOTR forum for ages, but pop in to have a read from time to time, as I very much enjoyed going to the festival a few times a few years ago.

I remember not always aligning myself with your thoughts on previous years' line-ups! But I did feel I had to post to say that AnCo are a truly incredible band. Their stuff is complex, experimental at times and not always accessible. It's also not always great. But when it is, OMG.

Listen to Merriweather Post Pavilion in its entirety five times. Then reflect. Then post on them again, Then be excited about them being on your must-see list at EOTR 2016.

Today's undercard announcement was less impressive for me cf. to previous years (not that I'm going, but...). But you've got two phenomenal headliners in one announcement (with JN) and if I was going, I'd be tickled pink.

:)

Ben

ben what you say about animal collective i agree with you entirely. could not have put it better myself. for me they are the most interesting booking that eotr have made in a long while. 

3 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

ben what you say about animal collective i agree with you entirely. could not have put it better myself. for me they are the most interesting booking that eotr have made in a long while. 

I personally think they are critics band who are too clever for their own good. 

You can be experimental and accessible at the same time. 

12 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

I personally think they are critics band who are too clever for their own good. 

You can be experimental and accessible at the same time. 

No, that's Dirty Projectors!

"Look! Look at us! Can you see how complex our music is? CAN YOU?!"

No matter that it's unlistenable, indulgent bilge! the thing with AnCo is that they'll take you on a convoluted journey and then...the melodic/harmonic payoff is to DIE FOR!

Listen to Also Frightened from MPP. It goes around and around, lulling you into a feeling that it's directionless and then...WHAMMO! The lush chord sequence is SO gorgeous and SO euphoric and all the more so for the journey that took you there. At their best they are extraordinary and I'm flippin' cross because with this announcement and Bestival too, chances are they won't come over in June to Worthy Farm...

:(

Ben

I love AnCo on record, and agree with everything Benny says (although I do also like Bitte Orca by Dirty Projectors). I have seen them live once, and it wasn't great. Maybe it's because I was expecting something a lot more "dancey", but there were a lot less beats than I was expecting. It was still OK, but I'm hoping for something a little more upbeat from their EOTR performance.

I am thrilled that they've been announced, I just hope that they fulfil their promise.

56 minutes ago, paulwa said:

Domjon

Yo La Tengo have been back a couple of times since the early days, but not as headliners. You will find the scale of the thing much different (14,000 people not 4,000), but the philosophy of the thing is still intact.

Cheers, massively looking forward to it tbh..half the fun is discovering new stuff anyway.

Must admit Animal Collective do nothing for me either...saw them open for the National in Central Park many moons ago...very easy to zone out to, not easy to zone in to. I'll be giving em a miss personally.

Just spent a couple of hours listening to the bands announced so far and learned two things:

1. I'm hopelessly out of touch.

2. The EOTR curators can be trusted to tickle my musical taste buds.

REALLY looking forward to it now. Feel a bit sorry for em now for the generally poor reaction, to the headliners at least. Must be a bit deflating working for months to book bands only to be met with derision.