New Order

Zoo Music Girl

• 1 month later...

37 years to the day since Ian Curtis took his life. Seems even sadder now with the news emerging today that Chris Cornell may have done the same. Just shows that material things are not important, you can have everything in life and the world at your feet, yet it is utterly worthless and means nothing in comparison to happiness. 

• 1 month later...

i was ticketing so managed to get into the gig after just missing the start. It was awesome, fantastic setlist, great to hear so many tunes from the back catologue, Vanishing Point was a particular highlight for me!

They were really on point and the stage design with the 12 synth people in the background was nicely done I thought.

Andy Burnham, Bez and Maxine Peake were all spotted in attendance too! :)

Superb setlist. Vanishing Point and Dream Attack! Was hoping Finetime would make it in there as well. That and Everything's Gone Green, instead of the Siren's tracks.

Superb last night. Vanishing Point, Dream Attack, Shellshock, Subculture, Your Silent Face and Disorder were highlights for me. What a great venue that is for a gig. Also met Karl Hyde at the bar. Told him how great Underworld's Glastonbury set was last year. Really nice bloke, was happy to have a chat and photos with anyone. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That was an interesting read.

yeah, it was. It's made me want to read Barny's and Hooky's books.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I give it a week before Hooky's slagging them off again.

:lol:

I reckon he'll be seeing the money too much to care too much about carrying on with that. If that twitter feed is accurate it's always been about the money to him and it's the money that's caused him to settle out of court, too.

I don't doubt there's fault on both sides but as that twitter feed kept coming back to: he quit, but then objected to what 'the company' did after he'd quit, like a bitter ex-employee.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon he'll be seeing the money too much to care too much about carrying on with that. If that twitter feed is accurate it's always been about the money to him and it's the money that's caused him to settle out of court, too.

I don't doubt there's fault on both sides but as that twitter feed kept coming back to: he quit, but then objected to what 'the company' did after he'd quit, like a bitter ex-employee.

You're right, I wouldn't be shocked if this settlement included a gagging order that means he has to keep his opinions to himself from now on.

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Those Tweets have now been deleted. Strange as I didn't think there was anything particularly controversial in there. 

It might be that the guy who wrote them on reflection felt uncomfortable about how far he gone in some directions. The fact it was bigged up in a few places (which is how I know of it) and his probable links to those places probably didn't help. It's something I know about myself.

He did say it was all from the public domain at the top, but within it there was a fair amount of his opinions as well as his interpretations of particular events, so it quite possibly ended up as a different thing to what he meant it to be when starting it.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'd recommend reading Barney's book and both of Hooky's - even though I'm #TeamBernard. Hooky comes as less of a bitter bellend in print (I reckon there must have been a ghostwriter involved).

Edit: Just seen that Hooky's New Order book is out and bought it.

Edited by Homer

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

It might be that the guy who wrote them on reflection felt uncomfortable about how far he gone in some directions. The fact it was bigged up in a few places (which is how I know of it) and his probable links to those places probably didn't help. It's something I know about myself.

He did say it was all from the public domain at the top, but within it there was a fair amount of his opinions as well as his interpretations of particular events, so it quite possibly ended up as a different thing to what he meant it to be when starting it.

And there were at least a couple of people chipping in to say it was untrue.  True or not, it was a narrative that made sense.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And there were at least a couple of people chipping in to say it was untrue.  True or not, it was a narrative that made sense.

i guess most people taking an interest were team one side or the other.

From other stuff I've read in recent years there's definitely a "Hooky is getting less money than others" element to the spat, tho I've got no real idea to the circumstances for that or whether it might be reasonable that he was getting less.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i guess most people taking an interest were team one side or the other.

From other stuff I've read in recent years there's definitely a "Hooky is getting less money than others" element to the spat, tho I've got no real idea to the circumstances for that or whether it might be reasonable that he was getting less.

I don't understand why to many Bernard/Stephen/Hooky = New Order; but Bernard/Stephen/Gillian apparently doesn't.

I know Hooky was a great bass player, but either way you've got 3/4 original members there.

Just now, Homer said:

I don't understand why to many Bernard/Stephen/Hooky = New Order; but Bernard/Stephen/Gillian apparently doesn't.

I know Hooky was a great bass player, but either way you've got 3/4 original members there.

I agree. While Hooky's bass style perhaps comes thru the strongest in the mix, they each have their own strong individual style at least as important.

I think hooky maybe picks up a lot of fans because he doesn't hold back, and a lot of what he said (long ago now) was about wanting the band to do much more, while the others didn't want to. That puts him on the side of the fans to a large degree.

I am just glad it is all over and the best part to New Orders statement was the fact they are looking forward to making new music.

Hooky has been very conspicuous by his absence. After New Order released the statement he was apparently unavailable for comment. Considering he did not shut up about the case for years, it makes me wonder whether he got the result he wanted.

In regards to the books. Bernards is ridiculously dull where as all Hookys are really funny and exciting in a way. The problem with them though is that they could be about as true as 24 Hour Party People. Also the lack of respect he shows Gillian in the New Order book is disgusting.

Hooky needs to make new music instead of milking the legacy of his 2 former bands for all its worth.

Edited by eastynh

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hooky was wandering about down the front of the Hacienda Classical before he did his Blue Monday turn.  

I gave him a wink and the finger guns.

You mean before he absolutely ruined Blue Monday?

That Hac Classical version  is abysmal.

I went to see Stephen Morris and Mike Joyce talking about their drumming on their bands respective records the other night. They had a kit set up and demonstrated. Was an enjoyable evening. Got videos of Joyce doing Queen Is Dead and Morris doing LWTUA. Will up them later.