New Order

Zoo Music Girl

I think it's fair to say that their appearance on the Other Stage in 2010 was no classic.

Sunset slot, golden hour, but the magic wasn't there. Pow Pow is just a fucking dirge.

That said, All My Friends is an evergreen and shining monument in 21st century popular song, so that bit was nothing short of cracking.

I have tried to listen to LCD all day today while painting. There are some good bits but none of it is new. Its as if they pinch a bit from New Order, a bit from the Pet Shop Boys, a bit from the Human League, patch it all together and then the singer does his bit over the top. There are no killer melodies or hooks and the only thing that makes them stand out is the distinctive singing.

All being said they do have a nice groove going on and I would probably bust a few moves to them at a festival. They are not a patch on Hot Chip though and are light years behind New Order.

I did have a look at their sales though and chart placings. Has any group with only 1 single inside the top 40 and one album inside the top 10 ever headlined anything at Glastonbury, nevermind the other stage. 

Edited by eastynh

I've seen New Order many times and dire each occasion! one of my favourite bands historically on record, but live, Barney just can't do it. Not New Order without Hooky....

The whole Hooky thing is getting a bit tiresome now. They have just produced a far better album without him than the previous two they managed with him in the band. Was it New Order without Gillian?

How come you continually went to watch New Order if they were dire every time you went?

Edited by eastynh

3 times at Reading (89, 93, 98) primavera & Oxegen 05. Always in hope they would shine. The main issue each time was Bernard Sumner. Musically they were ok, but the whoops and whistles......

I agree a little regarding Hooky but there was a difference. The dirty laundry makes it different and re Gillian's time out, it was just that. I went to see Peter Hook & the light last year and the whole thing was great and maybe they have all found their place apart.

3 times at Reading (89, 93, 98) primavera & Oxegen 05. Always in hope they would shine. The main issue each time was Bernard Sumner. Musically they were ok, but the whoops and whistles......

I agree a little regarding Hooky but there was a difference. The dirty laundry makes it different and re Gillian's time out, it was just that. I went to see Peter Hook & the light last year and the whole thing was great and maybe they have all found their place apart.

The whoops just don't fit the music. It's as if when playing live he has no understanding of the strengths of his voice.

Reading '93 was a flawless gig, easily the best I've seen them. 

At Reading '94 I bought the bootleg taken off the mixing desk from a stall and is a fantastic sounding live album. They should have released it.

• 4 weeks later...

They were utterly fantastic in Berlin. Gone are the days of them being inconsistent live. That's 3 on the bounce now where I have seen them and they have been on form.

They need to be headlining somewhere at Glasto, even if it is one of the smaller stages. Even when they play for 2 hours there are people having a little moan because there were what would be considered big tunes missed out. They would be wasted just playing for an hour on one of the main stages.

To everyone going to the upcoming UK leg, I think you are all in for a treat. I am going WHP and hoping for a trip to the Dam early next year. If they don't play Glasto then I will be off to whatever festival they do play.

With them approaching their twilight I am no longer take them for granted and enjoying them while I can :-)

Edited by eastynh

31 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They were utterly fantastic in Berlin. Gone are the days of them being inconsistent live. That's 3 on the bounce now where I have seen them and they have been on form.

They need to be headlining somewhere at Glasto, even if it is one of the smaller stages. Even when they play for 2 hours there are people having a little moan because there were what would be considered big tunes missed out. They would be wasted just playing for an hour on one of the main stages.

To everyone going to the upcoming UK leg, I think you are all in for a treat. I am going WHP and hoping for a trip to the Dam early next year. If they don't play Glasto then I will be off to whatever festival they do play.

With them approaching their twilight I am no longer take them for granted and enjoying them while I can :-)

Sounds great. Going to see them on Thursday night and really looking forward to it

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

Going WHP on the Saturday, should be a special night

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Not at all, I'm still surprised they're playing in there. Cannot wait

I don't like WHP as I do not like the way they seem to have a monopoly on the Mancunian nightlife.

There are links between WHP/Park life, Summer and The City and Kendal Calling. I would not be shocked to see New Order at Kendal and I think they are nailed on for Castlefield.

On 13/11/2015, 20:49:34, eastynh said:

I don't like WHP as I do not like the way they seem to have a monopoly on the Mancunian nightlife.

There are links between WHP/Park life, Summer and The City and Kendal Calling. I would not be shocked to see New Order at Kendal and I think they are nailed on for Castlefield.

the link between WHP and Kendal is the company that runs the bars, that's all.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the link between WHP and Kendal is the company that runs the bars, that's all.

You will know better than me mate but I definitely get the impression they are all pissing in the same pot. Parklife/WHP were posting info and promoting Summer In The City and Kendal last year via Facebook and Twitter.

Not that it matters really. I do think New Order are nailed on for one of SITC or Kendal. They may also be a good shout for festi's like Bearded and Bingley.

5 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Surprised by that, i was always under the impression that Kendal was ran by the same people as WHP.

Seeing Faithless on the Saturday so I'm tempted to get tickets for the Sunday gig 

I am tempted to go the Sunday as well but the tickets seem pretty scarce at the minute.