New Order

Zoo Music Girl

Couldn't find a topic for these guys so apologies if there is one...

Just heard Bernard on 6 music saying they're doing some festivals next summer. I reckon Glastonbury is nailed on - but where? Obviously I'd love headlining Other but people don't seem to think they're big enough... subbing Other a la Pixies/Pumpkins? Headlining Park? Headlining JP?

Super excited about seeing them in November but I'd take a Glasto slot too please thank you.

Not the same without Hooky.

Get him back and get them headlining the Other!

Did you see them in 2005 with Hooky? The toxic atmosphere in that lineup made for a terrible gig. From what I hear, both New Order today and Hooky doing his own thing are much better live experiences than 'proper' New Order in the last few years.

Did you see them in 2005 with Hooky? The toxic atmosphere in that lineup made for a terrible gig. From what I hear, both New Order today and Hooky doing his own thing are much better live experiences than 'proper' New Order in the last few years.

Not in '05, no.  Don't get me wrong, I know it'll never happen due to the acrimony but it's just that seeing them now isn't the same as when they were with Hooky.

I was at that one- massive New Order fan and was 1st time seeing them and greatly disappointed- thought it was terrible gig.  That said I saw them a wee while later at Manchester Arena and they were much better

Not even Blue Monday in 2005 if I remember rightly. On the other hand, I did sing the hook from Temptation for the rest of the weekend.

Indeed- whilst they do have other great songs in their repertoire to not play that was shocking in my opinion!  They did play some Joy Division but didn't sound that well rehearsed (as I said above they did some Joy Division stuff at Manchester later in year and seemed a bit more practiced).  And I also remember it for a ramshackle/awful rendition of World in Motion with Keith Allen on the stage (and I'm not saying that as a Scotland fan as I actually think World in Motion is a great track) 

There'd be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if the Roses tried to get away playing without Squire, or The Smiths playing without Marr. Yet it seems not many are arsed about Summer playing without Hook. 

He's such a fundamental sound to the band that for me it seems to odd for them to be without him.

That said, Hooky has come across as a right arsehole in the feud. And he's doing a grand job in desecrating the legacy of the Joy Division.

Not even Blue Monday in 2005 if I remember rightly. On the other hand, I did sing the hook from Temptation for the rest of the weekend.

I think I'd be glad if they never play it again, if I'm honest.  It's a tune but it has been massively overplayed. They have many more better tracks.

I think I'd be glad if they never play it again, if I'm honest.  It's a tune but it has been massively overplayed. They have many more better tracks.

I wouldn't mind them leaving it out either.

I'd much rather hear Temptation and True Faith :)

Apologies I managed to name True Faith Blind Faith!

Edited by mungo57

I wouldn't mind them leaving it out either.

I'd much rather hear Temptation and True Faith :)

Apologies I managed to name True Faith Blind Faith!

Well, they played both of them too!

I've seen them three times since they reformed (again), inc Bestival - brilliant all three.

With a decent album out, they have to be up to headlining the Other.

Also, I don't see what the problem is. They sound much better since Hooky went, and they are still at 3/4 strength (he left but Gillian rejoined - what's the difference?!).

I'm going to the Shiiiine weekender in Nov. Will def see Hooky doing his New Order set and his talk. I expect to enjoy, but not as much as the three New Order gigs.

Edited by Homer

They could still headline the Other Stage mind. Just in the last few years Primal Scream have done it (against U2), then Jake Bugg against Metallica. If they went for a pop/rap type artist on the Pyramid then New Order would attract a lot of people looking for a guitar alternative.

I have seen New Order countless times over the years. They were in the past very hit or miss from a live perspective and that seemed to purely revolve around what mood Bernard was in. The last few times I have seen them though (without Hooky), they have been fantastic with the Jodrel Bank gig being the most enjoyable concert I have been to.

People go on about how important Hooky was, I just don't understand that. Bernard is the main man. Hooky wanted them to be a rock band, it was Bernard who pushed their electronic direction and that is what make them stand out.

Without Bernard it is not New Order and I am hopeful that when the new album is released, it will finally put an End to the shadow of Hooky which has hung over the band for a few years now.

In regards to Glasto, they need to headline a stage. It would be pointless putting them on somewhere for an hour. They will have a new album to play plus all the NO and JD classics. Could also see the likes of Iggy and Brandon Flowers maybe joining them on stage.