EOTR 2015 - so how was it for you?

Fareham Grecian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more thoughts from my original post:

Couldn't go last year, but I did notice that there did seem to be more people around this year, particularly the Tipi Stage, each time we went for either a surprise act or daytime act it was packed to the rafters and didn't bother hanging around - does it need to be bigger next year?

Yes there were a few dickheads around, the shell suit and visor brigade spring to mind, unfortunately you'll get these at all festivals.

The cold on Saturday night was a bit numbing and was one of the reasons we packed our stuff away early on Sunday evening and left after The War On Drugs set - 20 minutes later we were home.

All in all though another great weekend, which I hope will be repeated next year.

Been a bit late in posting this, but I had a great time. I didn't feel it was vastly more packed than 2 years ago when I last went either.

Low were probably the highlight of my weekend, that set was just incredible. So fantastic, Especially Me in particular.

Brakes were amazing fun on Sunday. So much energy and life.

Natalie Prass was by a long way the best surprise, I knew virtually nothing about her before going to see her but was blown away, so was extra impressed. The spontaneity of spotting Back to the Future outfits and playing Johnny Be Good was great as well. It's exactly the sort of performance I love discovering at EOTR.

Special mention has to go to Sufjan. I was gutted to miss Lanegan to see him, but I don't regret it. My concern about Carrie and Lowell songs not translating quite as well live as Age of Adz ones did when I saw him on that tour felt justified, until that performance of the title track and 4th of July. Wow. C+L, 4th of July, Vesuvius, Feel the Illinoise, Chicago is one of the most amazing runs of songs I've seen live in my life. Such emotion, such energy, such variety. The rest of his set was a slight letdown, but that run made up for it. Ridiculously good.

Perfectly pleasant time on shift as well, and plenty of enjoyable times just exploring or chilling somewhere. Something about this event just makes me feel like I want to feel.

Random thoughts:

Another stunning weekend, 8th now i think, and yet somehow i still can’t help but think but to the old days.

Highlights for me, all of which exceeded expectations were: 

Low - a stunning find considering i knew little about them - absolutely entrancing

Laura Marling - was bored of WOD so wandered over and was blown away by her new rocked up sound

Sleaford Mods - loved their fuck you energy, just incredible

Other highlights included:

Diagrams - incredibly fun with balloons and toasting

Darren Hayman - maybe one of the nicest people at the festival, great set, loved bouncing Bob from AD

St Etienne - as amazing as i’d hoped it would be. Even better balloons than Diagrams - beautiful

Wand - another new find, really interesting

Hinds - most fun of weekend excluding Brakes - great last set in Tipi to finish festival as well

Delines - beautiful tales of contemporary bleakness - what a voice

Mark Lanegan - saw first few songs of Sufjan which were beautiful but was in the mood to be growled at. ML as mighty as he was 2 years ago. Great Joy Division cover too

Brakes - most fun of weekend, such a buzz. Wished they played the last set in the Tipi like 2 years ago as well

The Drink - love them - English folk, African rhythms, amazing voice

Ryley Walker - brilliant as ever. Best quote of the weekend - “This festival looks like a Led Zep album sounds”!

Unthanks - Mesmerising as always

Giant Sand - shame about sound problems to start but Gelb’s witty banter passed the time before they delivered a great set

Garden stage is still my favourite stage by far. I find the Woods a little soulless in the evening and the Tipi/Big Top can get clogged by people dragging their kiddie trolleys in late at night, regardless of the impact. Still entranced walking through the woods at night though - incredible art throughout

Wish they’d introduce the stacking cups they had at Green Man which were fantastic - so much more environmentally friendly and a great souvenir

Loos were amazing as always. Wouldn’t it be fab if they could have those white ones everywhere - i assume they’re astronomical though?

I missed last year so the new location of the Cinema was a surprise. I thought it too formal, and missed the old tent where you could wander in and pass the time

Loved the Fever Tree gin bar a bit too much

Food wise the Thoroughly Wild lamb tagine was the winner by far. Addition of the Hippy Chippy was a plus. Too many cheese places for me though - there was a constant waft of of it in the field. 

Ponds being open for the first time was amazing - wandered in lateish Sunday and was blown away. There’s a little hidden grotto underneath a path usually walked over with no awareness of what’s underneath

Saw a few late night Tipi sets including Meilyr Jones & Hinds which were great. Still miss the likes of Snake Wagon and Jeffery Lewis though (don’t mean to sound like a curmudgeon!) Do the late sets finish earlier nowadays though - i’m sure it used to be later when i staggered back to the van?

Anyway, another great, great job by an incredibly talented team - see you next year (maybe…)
Edited by staffop

Highlights:
Natalie Prass

Ought

Sufjan Stevens

Kiran Leonard

Stephen Steinbrink

Julie Byrne

Madisen Ward & Mama Bear

Giant Sand

The curry shed / 3-curry plate. So good as always. First and last meal of festival.

Jenga. Had many great games of this.

Lowlights:

Dickheads. Mentioned numerous times above, but for a reason... Lots of neon, inflatables, shit headwear, etc. People talking loudly and acting lad-y.

Sound quality is usually flawless but I felt it was quite weak this time around which was a real shame.