Primavera Sound 2016

DanielM17

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So the line up was 'terrible' because it booked bands you don't like or know that appeal to its fanbase rather than booking bands for you? :lol:

Pretty much along those lines, but I don't get what's so odd about that? Even a festival that wasn't aimed at me I'd kind of expect a handful of bands I'd be interested in. V Fest isn't aimed at me but there would still be a handful I would watch. I think it's fair to say that if the lineup does nothing for you then you can class it as a terrible lineup, you can't agree a lineup is good regardless of whom it's aimed at if you don't like it. There wasn't even any malice in my negative comment but you seem to have made it sound so.

I don't just like rock dental, I have a broad taste in music.

Edited by thewayiam

yeah i've got a good feeling about the headliners next year, and as you say, the undercards are always pretty damn great. looking forward to the announcement. when is it usually? only decided to go to this years quite last minute so everything was already out

First couple of acts tend to be announced around November (Strokes/Ride this year, Arcade Fire/Neutral Milk Hotel last, Blur/MBV year before), then the full lineup tends to be mid January. It was 21st Jan this year I believe.

Even a festival that wasn't aimed at me I'd kind of expect a handful of bands I'd be interested in. V Fest isn't aimed at me but there would still be a handful I would watch. I think it's fair to say that if the lineup does nothing for you then you can class it as a terrible lineup, you can't agree a lineup is good regardless of whom it's aimed at if you don't like it. 

I personally (PERSONALLY) judge lineups based on how good they are for who they are aimed at, as well as how much variety they offer, stage differences etc. I base which ones I GO TO on how many bands I like. For example, I'd never go to Download cause it isn't my thing, but I believe it caters pretty well for its aimed demographic. Primavera caters very well for its particular demographic, and I happen to be part of that so I go to Primavera. 

First couple of acts tend to be announced around November (Strokes/Ride this year, Arcade Fire/Neutral Milk Hotel last, Blur/MBV year before), then the full lineup tends to be mid January. It was 21st Jan this year I believe.

ooh so some big names coming soon-ish then. good news! still need to convince my friends to go again (especially now that it's in the same month as Glastonbury) so hopefully will be a great first two acts

LCD Soundsystem is a huge rumor over here in the states. I didn't believe it at first but it's really gained a lot of traction and the info about the reunion seems to be coming from multiple sources (of course, it's possible those multiple sources are all getting their info from one person, so who actually knows).

The initial rumor was that they are headlining Coachella  and Governor's Ball in NYC (bad news, since Governor's Ball is the same weekend as Primavera). Now the rumor is that they are headlining Coachella and a new festival in NYC put on by the same promoters as Coachella; this festival is supposed to happen two weeks after Governor's Ball -- same weekend as Sonar. This has me super hopeful for a Primavera appearance.

Edited by jadel74

HEADLINING Coachella? Didn't expect that - was thinking sub myself. Suppose if Phoenix can do it LCD can too...

They subbed it in 2010 so now there is the reunion hype.

Speaking of Coachella, I reckon it'll be a very bad set of headers next year, not for everyone but for most of us. CH very much expected to be one and you wouldn't rule out Mumford for the 3rd although I've nothing to go on that one.

Edited by thewayiam

The current lineup rumor is Guns N Roses, LCD Soundsystem, and Calvin Harris. The festival has really gone to shit. I live three hours away and will probably never go again.

Aye I know, not sure if GNR will be ready though? Unfortunately like with most more mainstream festivals EDM and dance acts are the biggest sellers by a margin at the minute.

I went in 2013 and loved it but that was a once time only and I'm quite happy with that. For a British traveler there it was probably as good as it could of been lineup wise. The weather is a huge bonus though. I may get to Bonnaroo one day but feel it's less likely to happen.

Where about's are you based man?

They subbed it in 2010 so now there is the reunion hype.

Speaking of Coachella, I reckon it'll be a very bad set of headers next year, not for everyone but for most of us. CH very much expected to be one and you wouldn't rule out Mumford for the 3rd although I've nothing to go on that one.

always forget just how big they got before they split. remember thinking them headlining the NME tent at Reading/Leeds in 2010 was a big jump up for them, but in hindsight , not at all. jesus i hope they do Primavera/any of the festivals i go to if they do reform. can see a festival like Latitude or Bestival getting them as headliners if they do come over to the UK

Aye I know, not sure if GNR will be ready though? Unfortunately like with most more mainstream festivals EDM and dance acts are the biggest sellers by a margin at the minute.

I went in 2013 and loved it but that was a once time only and I'm quite happy with that. For a British traveler there it was probably as good as it could of been lineup wise. The weather is a huge bonus though. I may get to Bonnaroo one day but feel it's less likely to happen.

Where about's are you based man?

Other than 2008, 2013 was probably my favorite year (you picked a good one to go to) but the fest has been sliding down since 2010 or so. The crowd is terrible; too many people that want to go just to say that they're there. Since AEG took over, they've taken to booking the shit acts that entertain these shitty crowds (Calvin Harris, Skrillex) and the great 'gets' they used to be famous for don't come around anymore. It's sad--they booked the Replacements in 2014 and they played to a nearly empty stage.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

Edited by jadel74

Other than 2008, 2013 was probably my favorite year (you picked a good one to go to) but the fest has been sliding down since 2010 or so. The crowd is terrible; too many people that want to go just to say that they're there. Since AEG took over, they've taken to booking the shit acts that entertain these shitty crowds (Calvin Harris, Skrillex) and the great 'gets' they used to be famous for don't come around anymore. It's sad--they booked the Replacements in 2014 and they played to a nearly empty stage.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

Yeah I defo think I did, me and a mate just decided to take the plunge on presale and got wkend 2 tickets, it was a delayed lineup that year 2 and I remember knowing it was listed as coming out soon on the KROQ website but I had to go sleep and wake up to see it. As soon as I saw Blur and The Stone Roses I was happy enough haha.