Could Gorillaz Return?

stuartbert two hats

For me, it's his most varied, interesting and successful of all his acts. I'm surprised he's bringing it back, but I wouldn't be surprised if a good album comes out of it. It's like a solo record without having to do dull introspective 'singer songwriter' type stuff.

Since nobody asked, here is my ranked list of Albarn acts:

1. Gorillaz

2. Africa Express

3. Mali Music

4. Blur

5. The operas

6. The Good, The Bad and The Queen

7. Damon Albarn (I.e. Everyday Robots)

8. Some other stuff I can't remember.

i thought the narrative had been exhausted.  the three acts going from 2d  animated to real life band had been played out.  i don't really count that 4th album he made on an ipad cos he was bored.  but, as you say, it was successful, so maybe a good album would emerge, and make some cash too (which i imagine most of his other projects don't).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought the narrative had been exhausted.  the three acts going from 2d  animated to real life band had been played out.  i don't really count that 4th album he made on an ipad cos he was bored.  but, as you say, it was successful, so maybe a good album would emerge, and make some cash too (which i imagine most of his other projects don't).

To be honest, I didn't really realise there was much of a narrative going on. I thought it was just Hewlett playing around with different techniques because he had a bigger budget than normal. The compelling thing about Gorillaz for me is the broad musical palette, not the storyline about the fictional band - although the conceit was useful to afford more musical freedom.

easy - it was a risky set with the potential to be brilliant as well as go tits up (also the reason i went to see Kanye - that sort of risk is, imo, too often missing from the Pyramid these days), by a band i really liked touring an album i also really liked.

i have never liked the Flips, they make music that makes me turn off the radio.

I'm all for risk, I was there for Jay Z for example, but you can take a risk too far. I wonder how it would have gone down if he'd actually pulled it off - from what I hear (admittedly I haven't bothered to make an effort to watch/listen to it) it would have taken a lot for it to be an amazing set.

I was being slightly melodramatic, of course "I love this band, but loathe that band" is a valid reason to see one act other another regardless of the circumstances.

I quite enjoyed it. It does look better on paper though!

5. (With Bobby Womack & Bootie Brown)
  8. (with Hypnotic Brass Ensemble) (Extended)
  9. (with Bootie Brown)
  10. (Extended, with The Lebanese… more )
  11. (with De La Soul)
  12. (With Rosie Wilson and Shaun Ryder)
  13. (with Lou Reed) (Extended Intro)
  14. (Extended Intro)
  15. (with Bobby Womack) (Extended Intro)
  16. (Extended)
  17. Encore:
  18. (Tribute to the late Dennis… more )
  19. (with De La Soul)
Edited by Homer

you must have missed happy Mondays 20-ish years ago then. There were crushes at the gates to get out of the field.

There was a big crush to get out (Peel direction) when I was leaving Gorillaz. A good 5 minutes. No control over where I was being shoved to. Just as well most of the people at Glasto are so well mannered or it could've got messy.

Can't blame people though. A complete stinker of a gig. Headliner or not.

Edited by The Nal

• 1 month later...

I will happily look at some drawings from the Hewlett part of the Gorillaz and save myself the pain of listening to the Albarn part of the Gorillaz.

Of all the things I hated when I was a 18/19 yr old kid, the emotion of hating that fucker has shown the most legs and enthusiasm for hanging around!

The single worst performance I have ever witnessed at Glasto. I lasted about 1hr and left with big numbers doing same. It was dull as dishwater and I was a fan beforehand and looking forward to seeing them. It just didn't work on any level for me.

it can't have been worse than Springsteen surely? By far the most tedious couple of hours of my life. So boring I actually felt physical pain

wasn't at glasto the year Brucie headlined but have seen him live few times. He's always great but that's with a crowd who are there to see him and appreciate his music. He's made some incredible albums. Maybe Glasto was wrong crowd for him.

You cant really compare him with gorrilaz either.

what didn't help was there had been rabid Bruce fans on this forum for 6 months before the festival started insisting he was the best thing ever ever and that his live show would blow anyone and everyone away.

Sadly the reality was a desperately tedious performance of dull plodding songs. Awful. Only jay z comes close in worst headliner I've seen (and I saw kanye!)

Pehaps gorillaz were worse though, I wouldn't know as I wasn't moronic enough to see them, I was watching flaming lips putting in one of the best other stage gigs of all time

Edited by russycarps