See coach tickets worth it?

udders

Complete Glastonbury virgin!

I've read in a few threads that the Wednesday see coaches get you there pretty late in the day from up north...

so, if I were to get lucky in the coach presale would it hinder the glasto experience? i.e longer queues, less or if any pitching choice?

Or should I risk it and wait for general sale? - probably then I'd be the type to have drove down Tuesday and queued overnight? Please be kind if I've said anything daft!

I've not used the See Coaches myself, and it's certainly possible it changes again this year, but my understanding of the situation is:

- You get a choice of Departure City and Day (subject to availability).

- You can be allocated a coach departing at any time during the day you selected. So some people had 6am departures and got on site reasonably early on Wednesday, some were much later - but they didn't find out until much closer to the Festival.

Personally, I find that uncertainty is enough to put me off - plus the fact that last year the return fare from Nottingham was more than it costs me in Petrol to go to Glastonbury and Back.

In terms of getting there early, queueing overnight, etc I think the importance of this is massively overstated on this forum - this is where the obsessives live and many people will have their favourite camping spot that they feel they must stake out (sometimes even right down to the precise blades of grass).

If you're not set on a particular field, and are prepared to be flexible and camp a bit further away from the most central / popular areas then there's no difficulty finding decent camping spots, even as late as Thursday Evening. When you walk through the Gate, there should be a Campsite Crew base nearby - they'll have a big map up showing what fields are full, and there should normally be someone on hand who'll be happy to discuss the options with you.

In the years I have driven down the Tuesday night, driven Wednesday, caught SEECoaches on Wednesday morning and the afternoon.. so hopefully, I can help!

With getting site 'late' on Wednesday, I've arrived at 8pm and not felt like I've missed out on anything and still had a great festival. I'm not picky where I camp so long as I have somewhere to sleep and store my clothes..

Pros of coach travel:

-  Dropped off right at the gate, no lengthy walk with your stuff!
-  Not required to have someone has designated driver, so no one has to limit their Sunday drinking.
-  You pack the stuff you need, so you don't pack excess stuff!
-  No worries about the drive home - someone else deals with the traffic.
-  Traffic seems much less on the way out, coaches have their own routes (I think...)

Cons of coach travel:

-   Expensive.
-   Not in control of your own travel time.
-   Having to carry everything in one trip (some people like to do two trips, but we now take a folding trolley and load it when you get off the coach)

Pros of car travel:

-  Much cheaper, can spilt the cost of petrol and parking between everyone. 

-  Take as much as like - multiple trips to the car if you want!
-  In charge of when you leave and arrive.

Cons of car travel:

-  The walk from the car park can be long depending when you arrive 

-  Traffic, so much traffic when you leave!
-  Designated driver - not as much drink!

I'm happy with either option but I don't mind the coach, sure it's a pain not knowing when you leave but you quickly get over that when you realise you have a ticket. 

I have also travelled on the Tuesday evening and I would never do this again - why? Because I don't care where I camp and I don't like being that tired before I even start the festival. Do I think the camping spot is important? Not really, so long as I have someone to sleep and store my stuff, I don't care. There is always a lot of walking involved no matter where you camp. You will find people that say getting the camping spot in X field is better - but I don't think it is!

Thanks guys! We had a chat last night and we're going to leave it until the general sale and start training the calves in preparation in case we're a little further from the action than we'd like!

That was our main reason for going for them pbird, anything to increase our chances but we'd much rather go in the car.

I would suggest you think again as your decreasing your chances.

I have never needed to buy them online as I started working at Glasto long before they had a website.

look at this way - the object is to buy tickets .

look back at previous post and you will see loads of people who waited and then were not lucky and then were regretting not trying for the combined ticket.

each year they sell out quicker and quicker. 

sure its all a matter of luck but does it really matter if you are there a few hours after other people ? 

Look at the overheads - there is loads of camping space near gate A { which is next to the coach park }  Darble and Pylon Ground a bit further in is Bushy Ground and I have yet to see that full.

the point is you stand a far better chance if you are willing to take the coach - if you cant get them then nothing lost.

Keep your options open and try for 7pm on Thursday 1st October.

You will be asked to choose a Coach Departure Town and Coach Departure Day (Wednesday or Thursday) but the actual departure time is all a matter of luck.

I know if I was after a ticket I would try my luck with the combined ticket.

None of us can see into the future so if you stick to the general sale you man end up with bugger all and then you will be kicking yourself for not trying for the combined ticket.

We got a see coach last year and drove this year. Personally, I preferred the coach. We did arrive a bit late but camped with mates on Hitchin Hill anyway and that never gets busy. There was no five hour queue to get in though or mission to/from the car park. Also having a later start meant a later start on the cider and I could actually function on the Sunday.

Plus the See coaches go from near my house whilst my mate who drove lives an hour away!

Are there details anywhere more specific about departure points? Considering bristol or Swindon from where I am, might make it easier to choose if knew exactly where they go from.

Take a look here :)

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/2016-tickets-on-sale-in-october/

Regarding the coach tickets...

What choices do you get when booking these if departing from London? Can you only specify a day and general location or are there multiple locations/times for each day to choose from?

Thanks.

Not 100% but I think they all depart from the same place - and that the last few years this has been the O2 Arena Car Park.

And you only get to choose the day - times are allocated / dicatated to you after the event and could be as early as 6am or as late as 6pm

Edited by incident

Not 100% but I think they all depart from the same place - and that the last few years this has been the O2 Arena Car Park.

And you only get to choose the day - times are allocated / dicatated to you after the event and could be as early as 6am or as late as 6pm

Brill, thanks!

Does anyone know how much roughly the National Express coaches are and when these can be booked from? 

Edited by broken monkey

I would suggest you try in both sales, the coach isn't as bad as people make out and I'm happily hoping that I get coach tickets so I can drink till my liver will allow on the Sunday and pull an all nighter again!

Make sure you have all the details ready to go and if there is a group of you, use something to communicate as your going along.

Does anyone know what time the wednesday coaches went from Reading this year? London is the ideal but we're being open minded this year.

Gonna try to get a coach from anywhere in the South East because I don't want to get up early and come into work on Sunday. Don't trust my home internet!!