BEARDED THEORY 2016

THEBOILERMAN

Best of the three that I have attended. The brilliant weather helped of course (though the nights were exceptionally cold and damp this year). If anyone happened to look up at a fire tower where you were camped or parked this year, you would have probably seen me. From what I was able to see between shifts, my highlights were Levs, Bad Manners, Dr. and the Medics and Stiff Little Fingers.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it this way - on the Thursday I was thinking about going back next year and the festival hadn't even started. Such a lovely, chilled out vibe, PIL were spectacular. Squeeze were a surprise highlight and Asian Dub Foundation were brilliant stand ins for Arrested Development. I loved the fact that stages were in easy reach of each other and I could just dart in and out of each stage and watch a little bit of this and that. Everyone I spoke to was really friendly and there force good time, and the food and drink was excellent. Jaipur X is so strong though!

All in all, a great build up to Glastonbury and it has got me very excited for 4 weeks time. 

Great weekend. I thought Billy Bragg was exceptional, also loved Zombie Met Girl, Roughneck Riot, SLF, Bad Manners (with Max Splodge!), some bands that I can't remember the names of in Gail's Tea Tent, Beans On Toast and The Doonicans. 

Bit worried I've used up all my festival good weather for the year though. 

My only complaint would be that, in my opinion, Electro Swing outstays its welcome after one or two songs, the abundance of it in Maui Waui kept me out of there for most of the festival and I normally spend a lot of time in the tent, in its previous guises. Still, plenty else to see and do but is it actually that popular? 

Anyway, this now sounds like a moan and it's not, BT get so much right in what they do, it's amazing. 

That was just PERFECT. Dot loved the whole thing and so did I. I was interviewed on camera for something (probably BT media crew) and had just walked away from the only act I really hated all weekend - Blyth Power. Talk about pretentious bollocks. I hope I was jovial enough. My personal highlights were Killing Joke, The Levellers, Billy Bragg, Black Uhuru, Bad Manners, PIL, Squeeze and Astralasia in Magical Sounds.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Electro Swing outstays its welcome after one or two songs,

I don't think its being disloyal to BT to mention the Elephant in the room that was the Maui Waui tent. Maybe the hot weather made it worse, but the pitifully small audiences in the tent were surely down to the decidedly mediocre talent and preponderance of Electro Swing, a musical genre that has to be too specific for such an eclectic festival. The organisers must have invested quite a bit into this new venue and though it pains me to say it (as Maui Waui come from about 20 miles down the road from me in East Anglia) I think they let BT down and just didn't deliver. Even the barking mad Convoy Cabaret was at least original and alternative. 

...but that's festival's for you. Maybe someone else loved the place. Come to think of it, I did think Headspace was pretty good.

My real stand outs, however, were PiL, Killing Joke, Subgiant,  Wilko Johnson, Juno Reactor, OTT, Dirty Vertebrae, John Otway and Astralasia. Completely different list from your yours yet we all come together to share in the spirit of the place. And that's pretty marvellous, when you come to think of it. People coming together to love music of their own, and respect the love that other's have, even though they may not really get it.

I didn't meet anyone who was anything less that friendly, warm and delightful, and I talked to a lot of people .

Edited by sparkythetortoise

Still can't get over how good Squeeze were. I wasn't even gonna see them but I felt a bit wobbly in the dance tent watching Astralasia so decided it would be better to watch something outdoors. Them and Asian Dub Foundation were my finds of the weekend.

Edited by BlackHole2006

16 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

My claim to fame this year was two other stewards and myself spending and hour drinking with Mark Chadwick about an hour or so after Levs closed the Pallet on Friday. Man is that guy a charmer with the ladies...

I spotted him chatting up two women near the big wheel

A Big like from myself, Mrs. Rag and the teen Rags.

Have been to a few festivals that don't seam to cater for that 12 - 16 age group - but my two were blown away and spent the weekend doing spray paint graffiti and jamming on electric guitars in the rouges area.

Dunno what happened to the bungy ball. Some accident ? Hope all involved all OK.

First festival for me with a stinking cold for the whole weekend, so firstly i apologise for anyone who got fed up with me whining about it all weekend and for anyone camped near me trying to sleep through my nightly hacking, sniffling, sneezing, spitting and snoring.

Now that's out of the way - what a great little festival it was. Probably one of the most friendliest ever, nicely laid out and no hills in sight.

Campsite toilets were in pretty good nick all the time and good to see everyone in the spot we camped leaving it in pretty pristine condition on Monday morning.

Great weather, although damn was it cold at night however a ten pound duvet from the shop sorted me out nicely on Friday.

Highlights included being down the front for Stiff Little Fingers, Killing joke and PIL. Also Billy Bragg, New Town Kings, King Blues, Talisman, Wilko Johnson, John Ottway and Zombie Met Girl.

yep - absolutely brilliant festival. They have got so much right. This was our 5th, and I'd say the best yet.

It's left us wanting more - but I wonder where we'll find the same perfect blend of size, vibe (sorry - but not sure what other word to use - everyone was just really nice), mix of music, food, busy-ness etc.

Any ideas anyone for any little gems coming up soon somewhere down south - ideally west country - that we could give a go? The wife is now talking about Wilderness - which looks ideal, but a fair trek from Bristol.

About the Maui Waui - I thought it was quiet, but thought there was some good stuff on in there - which wasn't all Electro Swing. HAvin a little spot for the likes of Jenova Collective, Smerins, and King Porter Stomp is a welcome addition for me.

yeah - two lads were in the springy ball thing when it hit the edge of the frame. Apparently they were fine though when they got off.

2 hours ago, man next door said:

yep - absolutely brilliant festival. They have got so much right. This was our 5th, and I'd say the best yet.

It's left us wanting more - but I wonder where we'll find the same perfect blend of size, vibe (sorry - but not sure what other word to use - everyone was just really nice), mix of music, food, busy-ness etc.

Any ideas anyone for any little gems coming up soon somewhere down south - ideally west country - that we could give a go? The wife is now talking about Wilderness - which looks ideal, but a fair trek from Bristol.

Have you tried Bueatiful Days ?

Great little festival, fantastic weather, super friendly people and top bands.

Highlights other than all the laughs for me were ;

PiL
Sheelanagig
Levellers
Black Uhuru
Wilko Johnson
Cockney Rejects
Dub Pistols

Only negative thing was missing Squeeze Sunday evening due to missing the 7pm re-entry deadline for the car parks. Still a great little festival and luckily Squeeze have just been announced for Glastonbury so I will catch them there.

5 hours ago, man next door said:

Any ideas anyone for any little gems coming up soon somewhere down south - ideally west country - that we could give a go?

Watchet is smaller and not until August bank hol but similar vibe and music. And just a stones throw from the village centre/quayside there's plenty to do away from the festival (including steam trains to Minehead). Great beer and cider at £3/pint (£2/pint Sunday happy hour!)

Oh. Then there's the view you wake up to every morning. Can't be more than hour and a half from Bristol.

7 hours ago, ollyrag said:

A Big like from myself, Mrs. Rag and the teen Rags.

Have been to a few festivals that don't seam to cater for that 12 - 16 age group - but my two were blown away and spent the weekend doing spray paint graffiti and jamming on electric guitars in the rouges area.

Dunno what happened to the bungy ball. Some accident ? Hope all involved all OK.

I heard it hit one of the pilons from where I was on Campervan fire tower. Hit it several times after on the way down so I radioed it in. H&S shut it down after that for the remainder of the weekend pending investigation...

Mark was on the shrooms so he told us so could have seen anything in whoever he met. Saw Charlie in the Convoy tent with a bottle of vino and Jez in Crew Bar with John and a new baby I think.

Wow, what a party. Had so much fun again. Friday on the main stage was just stunning. Everyone was buzzing, met so many great random people. Met Chadwick too, had a good laugh with him.

I love this festival so much, it's just perfect. The organisers have it so right, but it's also the people that go that make it too. Everyone is so friendly and it just makes for a really fun weekend. Was talking to the dude who was running the campsite shop selling duvets etc, he said it's the friendliest fest he's ever been too, he reckoned they wouldn't make much money as we were all festival veterans and didn't come under prepared like other fests. He said he didn't care as he was having a brilliant time just chatting to people. Says it all.

The Woodland is gorgeous. Didn't spend anytime in the Maui tent, so can't comment on that. Felt the dance tent had got smaller this year, but it was perfect for Juno Reactor. Loved the tea tent too.

Top acts for me were Levs, 3DM, Juno, Bragg, Rev, Wilko & King Blues.

See you next year dudes

Cheers for the feedback folks,

We've done a few watchets - great little festival - and getting stronger all the time. We've not done a Beautiful Days yet, but hope to at some point. 

The key detail I missed out - sos - was that we're looking for one in the next few weeks. the Missus is super keen to fit another in before Beatherder in July. It seems as though organisers give is a miss during June because of Glastonbury. 

Top Post btw Perks - I couldn't have put it better myself - 'veterans' lol - he's not wrong! 

On 5/31/2016 at 6:53 PM, Pinhead said:

Mark was on the shrooms so he told us so could have seen anything in whoever he met. Saw Charlie in the Convoy tent with a bottle of vino and Jez in Crew Bar with John and a new baby I think.

Fair play to the Levs for getting out and about. Saw Jez in the Convoy tent late on, watching a fine folk act who turned out to be my find of the weekend, FFTP as I later discovered. Saw them at least once more, all by happy chance. 

Yup, guaranteed good times at BT once again, thanks to those who keep on putting it on. Way better parking location and closer camping, no thefts heard of, and such a nice atmosphere. Musically not quite as much my cuppa as last year, but well enjoyed Rumour Cubes for something very different to open the main stage on Sunday, along with Subgiant, Zombie Met Girl, Billy Bragg, Attila the Stockbroker, & the Dance's tent's Sunday folk session. Plus Squeeze dragged me from my tent to the main stage with tune after tune. 

Edited by timespeedsup

Kangaroo Moon did have some equipment glitches to start with but turned it around in the end :) absolutely love our Sunday afternoon global, folk, celtic dance sessions.. Niteworks who played later were stunning..

Cheers to everyone who came and danced in the Magical Sounds tent, we had an absolute blast putting it all together and over 40 hours of programmed dance music in a field never felt better!!

5 hours ago, Magical_Sounds said:

Kangaroo Moon did have some equipment glitches to start with but turned it around in the end :) absolutely love our Sunday afternoon global, folk, celtic dance sessions.. Niteworks who played later were stunning..

Cheers to everyone who came and danced in the Magical Sounds tent, we had an absolute blast putting it all together and over 40 hours of programmed dance music in a field never felt better!!

I know next to nothing about dance music, and when I came to Bearded it was mainly with Wilko and PiL in my sights, but I thought you put on a brilliant show and ended up spending more time your tent than anywhere else. OTT, Juno Reactor, Nightworks, Astralasia - all were new to me and yet outstanding. Add to that Subgiant and Orb (and if not for a cruel clash with Killing Joke, Zub Zub) and it all made for a stonking line up. Really nice inclusive atmosphere too, which is no small thing when your third ager dancing as if it was still the eighties.

Is it too early to moot System 7 and the Ozrics for next year?